News Forum - Mosquito bite in Thailand causes Dutchman to lose both legs

Thaiger

A Dutchman living in Nakhon Rathasima in Thailand is on a mission to spread awareness about “flesh-eating bacteria” (necrotising fasciitis) after a mosquito bite led to the amputation of his left leg and lower right leg. Long-term expat, 62 year old Ed Olieslagers from the Netherlands, went to the hospital in April last year after a …

The story Mosquito bite in Thailand causes Dutchman to lose both legs as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Bacteria will not survive in blood, It needs oxygen to live. Further mosquitoes only spread virus via blood not bacteria.....Something is really misleading

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, bb54 said:

Ramanathan.P - A bacterial infection that enters the bloodstream is called septicemia. Bacteria definately can survive in blood

Well...my argument it how can it be transferred by mosquito bite? The bacteria might have entered the body via other means. But not via mosquito bites....that is what I mean

Guys it doesn’t say it was transferred from a mosquito. It says it started after a mosquito bite. then goes on to explain.

“In Ed’s case, it started with a mosquito bite. However, the disease can start from any lesion of skin tissue, like cat scratches, open wounds on the foot, or even shaving wounds”.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, BBY said:

Guys it doesn’t say it was transferred from a mosquito. It says it started after a mosquito bite. then goes on to explain.

“In Ed’s case, it started with a mosquito bite. However, the disease can start from any lesion of skin tissue, like cat scratches, open wounds on the foot, or even shaving wounds”.

Fully agree...let us not put the poor mosquito as the scape goat. The theory could be mosquito bites for it food and Ed started scratching with his infected finger nails transferring the bacteria into his body by himself....🤣

18 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Fully agree...let us not put the poor mosquito as the scape goat. The theory could be mosquito bites for it food and Ed started scratching with his infected finger nails transferring the bacteria into his body by himself....🤣

I blame the mosquitos for everything,  pesky little buggers 🤣  I've had dengue twice and also kunjin virus, I now have serious liver disease, countries in the tropics need to do more spraying to combat the various life threatening diseases they carry, especially in the hotels and apartments. I consider it totally my responsibility to deet up when I go the countryside and beyond. Deet is extremely toxic but it does the job! 

• Like 1

Several corrections:  Necrotizing fasciitis occurs when an open sore is infected with (most often) a type A streptococcus (of strep throat fame) or a vibrio when it turns into a systemic sepsis. It's rare but sadly, often results in multiple amputations. This is why it's not well known.

Bacteria CAN live without oxygen in the blood stream  Many are aerobic/anaerobic.  Many bacteria are anaerobic. 

The open sore was caused by a mosquito bite, could have been any open sore. N F can develop from any sore IF the correct (incorrect) bacteria is introduced. 

Mosquitos don't spread viruses, they spread parasites like malaria and dengue. The mosquito here simply breached the skin. BTW type A strep is fairly ubiquitous. So any wound should be treated rather than ignored.  Check out websites on this topic.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TWS60 said:

A calculated decision to get more clicks with a catchy but misleading top line.  Oh well. 😐

Yes it is a weird title to draw you in just to then make an educated conclusion that it is not the mosquito. But in  order to read it you must have also have your adblocker disabled or were forced to disabled your ad blocker to be priveleged to read the articles whole page not being 80% covered with a Thaigre support us ad by click here or click there. But the posts of most are on target. It is not the mosquito and the guy was just unlucky in this instance of life.

Type-A Strep is commonly found living on our skin, and in our nasal cavities where it does little harm.  It lives there just waiting to be rubbed into a paper cut or scratched into a mosquito bite.  It's the cause of impetigo, a skin infection that kids (and adults with lax personal hyenine) often get because they wipe their nose on their arm. 

Don't scratch your bites, wash your hands often and don't pick your nose (or at least sanitize your hands after you do). 

Whenever I get a cut, bite or too much cat love, everything gets cleaned and then a little dab of Fucidn, which specifically targets strep-A.

On 2/16/2023 at 7:03 AM, BBY said:

This is a very important point. All too often people will scratch themselves and dab it with a tissue and think all is ok.  They don’t take the time to clean the scratch and cover it with a bandaid. This is a particular issue in tropical climates where other insects are attracted to an open wound. It may not look much to you, but a simple scratch can still allow nasty bacteria to enter the bloodstream. Keeping up with Tetanus and other jabs is also important.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Soidog said:

This is a very important point. All too often people will scratch themselves and dab it with a tissue and think all is ok.  They don’t take the time to clean the scratch and cover it with a bandaid. This is a particular issue in tropical climates where other insects are attracted to an open wound. It may not look much to you, but a simple scratch can still allow nasty bacteria to enter the bloodstream. Keeping up with Tetanus and other jabs is also important.  

Yeah agree and the tiny black gnat like bugs are the worst for getting in your eyes and on a cut or bite. My dogs like to try and lick my cuts or bites but not sure on the old wives tale on that one.

• 4 weeks later...

I got bitten by something within a couple of hours of the 13 hour flight home from Phuket to Gatwick and watch my foot swell up over the 13 hour flight. I still have not got a clue what it was, I presume it must’ve been a spider. Too much wearing flip-flops! I risked sepsis and gangrene by waiting a couple of days before I saw the doctor, who prescribed me 4000 mg a day of floxacillin. That was the 5th of February. And toes are still discoloured

98F78B41-462D-4D0D-8DED-ACD32B97A0FB.jpeg

05C42DB0-04E9-4F06-9810-27BEBC7D4257.jpeg

69F4149D-B143-4A15-A465-6ACDF19687FB.jpeg

Holy hell @Cg66

i hope you get better, that is nasty looking

PS....From the looks of your left foot, it doesn't appear you were in line for any foot modeling jobs, so at least you are in luck on that front    :)