News Forum - Small hotels recover in Thailand as foreigners move downmarket

Thaiger

As small hotels recover in Thailand, returning tourists are choosing different options from pre-pandemic staples. A study of small hotels and hostels found booking growth is now higher than before the pandemic, with bookings from overseas tourists exceeding those of local travellers. As small hotels recover in Thailand, bookings are up by a quarter from …

The story Small hotels recover in Thailand as foreigners move downmarket as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Small hotels are more economical and convenient. They are also more accommodating than the star hotels. It is more easy and good value for money also. Which enables travelers to stay longer for the same amount of budget. It is definitely 50% more economical when compared to bigger hotels when comes to $$$$

The body of the report gets it right, the headline doesn’t. 

Try this Jon.

Small hotels recover in Thailand as Tourists move downmarket. 

Im sure there are plenty of Thai nationals who go on holiday with their partners or guys they have met recently and stay in these so called downmarket hotels; a term I’m sure the hotels just love by the way! 

8 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Im sure there are plenty of Thai nationals who go on holiday with their partners or guys they have met recently and stay in these so called downmarket hotels; a term I’m sure the hotels just love by the way! 

I thoroughly enjoy paying 600 baht a night for a quality 'down-market' regional hotel* .  😎  Hop Inn for example, and you've got to book in advance as they're popular throughout Thailand.  

Beats a crap 'luxury' hotel at ~ 3,000 baht.

4 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

I thoroughly enjoy paying 600 baht a night for a quality 'down-market' regional hotel* .  😎  Hop Inn for example, and you've got to book in advance as they're popular throughout Thailand.  

Beats a crap 'luxury' hotel at ~ 3,000 baht.

I agree. Although I do love spoiling myself and staying in a top end hotel from time to time. I see little point paying  10,000+ baht for a hotel I use to flop in to bed at 1am, shower the next morning around 10am and head out for the day. Any comfortable and clean hotel will do the job. You can get some really decent places outside of Bangkok for 600-1,000 a night. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I agree. Although I do love spoiling myself and staying in a top end hotel from time to time. I see little point paying  10,000+ baht for a hotel I use to flop in to bed at 1am, shower the next morning around 10am and head out for the day. Any comfortable and clean hotel will do the job. You can get some really decent places outside of Bangkok for 600-1,000 a night. 

Anything above 400 THB a night is considered not economical. There are many just outskirts a bit for bikers like me, which we feel is more comfortable and relaxed environment as these hotels provide everything that we need for a nice rest including laundry services. Those locals are more welcoming than the city hotels where many put up a fake smile on their face. 

• Like 1

I am sure I am not the only person that actually prefers these "downmarket" hotels.  And the "star" rating of a hotel is not actually directly related to the quality, it depends more on the facilities available - conference and meeting room facilities adds points, a pool adds points, a gym adds points, and so on. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grumpish said:

I am sure I am not the only person that actually prefers these "downmarket" hotels.  And the "star" rating of a hotel is not actually directly related to the quality, it depends more on the facilities available - conference and meeting room facilities adds points, a pool adds points, a gym adds points, and so on. 

Beds when in Asia

1st off, I haven't found many  true 5 star hotels in Thailand*and many 4* as well), especially Bangkok, lacking

They are mostly fantastic

But the big thing is proper beds, because you never know what you are getting in a smaller hotel in Thailand

I left Koh Samet one time early, even though I paid in advance because the bed was so hard

• Like 1