News Forum - Thailand to expand major airports to deal with rising tourist numbers

Thaiger

Thailand is set to expand at least four of its major international airports in response to the predicted return of foreign tourists following the COVID pandemic. Deputy Government Spokeswoman, Traisulee Taisaranakul, announced the plans today. She noted that the expansion is aimed at accommodating predictions made by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) of 200 …

The story Thailand to expand major airports to deal with rising tourist numbers as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

200 million by 2031 !! That a 500% increase compared to 2019 which saw nearly 40 million arrivals and not all of them came in by air. This includes day trippers from Malaysia etc. The whole of ASEAN only had 133 million in 2019.

I can’t imagine what places like Phuket and Pattaya will be like with 5 times as many tourists as now. It would be hellish! No way will they achieve 200 million without massive spending on infrastructure beyond the airports. At peak times there would be as many foreigners in the country as Thais. That’s an invasion not a tourism industry. This number has to be wrong and is an ASEAN prediction. 

I read the other day they had a stretch target of 80 million by 2027. That’s double what they expect in 2024. Where are all these high value tourists coming from. Don’t forget, a shift in the quality of tourists and tourist per head spending is also their stated policy. This new target seems to suggest that anyone will be welcomed irrespective of spending power. 

Perhaps their arithmetic is wrong again in that 80 million by 2027 and 100 million by 2031 would result in two flights per passenger and hence that would give 200 million flights. Even that is way too high. 

Here’s my optimistic predictions 

2024 - 40 Million

2027 - 46 million

2031 - 55 million 

200,000,000. 😂😂😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

200 million by 2031 !! That a 500% increase compared to 2019 which saw nearly 40 million arrivals and not all of them came in by air. This includes day trippers from Malaysia etc. The whole of ASEAN only had 133 million in 2019.

I can’t imagine what places like Phuket and Pattaya will be like with 5 times as many tourists as now. It would be hellish! No way will they achieve 200 million without massive spending on infrastructure beyond the airports. At peak times there would be as many foreigners in the country as Thais. That’s an invasion not a tourism industry. This number has to be wrong and is an ASEAN prediction. 

I read the other day they had a stretch target of 80 million by 2027. That’s double what they expect in 2024. Where are all these high value tourists coming from. Don’t forget, a shift in the quality of tourists and tourist per head spending is also their stated policy. This new target seems to suggest that anyone will be welcomed irrespective of spending power. 

Perhaps their arithmetic is wrong again in that 80 million by 2027 and 100 million by 2031 would result in two flights per passenger and hence that would give 200 million flights. Even that is way too high. 

Here’s my optimistic predictions 

2024 - 40 Million

2027 - 46 million

2031 - 55 million 

200,000,000. 😂😂😂

I think we're just in a post Covid pent up demand phase driving tourists number up right now.  Things will settle and a global depression will hit this or next year and tourist numbers throughout the world will plummet.  Just my theory.

• Like 1

U-Tapao was expanding nicely before the pandemic but today it still offers very few destinations, either domestic or Asian (except a few Chinese) and no European destinations either. Can’t find Hat Yai anymore or even Surat Thani which would be great for tourists from Pattaya wanting to get to Samui without paying Bangkok Airways rip off prices.  Expanding capacity is pointless unless airlines also expand routes. 

Edited by Leeshard
  • Like 1