News Forum - Thailand offers amnesty to ‘little ghosts’ in South Korea

Thaiger

The Thai government calls for all Thais working illegally in South Korea – known as ‘little ghosts‘ – to return to Thailand before February 28. Any little ghost who does not return to Thailand before this date will face a 30 million won fine (800,000 baht), warned the government. Today, government spokesperson Ratchada Thanadirek revealed …

The story Thailand offers amnesty to ‘little ghosts’ in South Korea as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

It would be good to know what Thai law these people are breaking?  I assume there is one, or is this random charge of 800,000 baht a hollow threat or a sop to the South Koreans? 

28 minutes ago, Soidog said:

It would be good to know what Thai law these people are breaking?  I assume there is one, or is this random charge of 800,000 baht a hollow threat or a sop to the South Koreans? 

Leah doesn't make it clear, but the way I read it it's Korea who may fine the illegals if discovered in-country after Feb 28.

1 hour ago, KaptainRob said:

Leah doesn't make it clear, but the way I read it it's Korea who may fine the illegals if discovered in-country after Feb 28.

Yes I think that’s correct KR. Having read the article again, it quotes 30 million Won and Korean immigration. My mistake 🫢

And if the little ghosts don’t have the airfare or have, ahem, “restrictive” work contracts? We know the Thai government won’t spend a baht to help so it sucks to be them. 

• Like 1

This was my confusion from the headlines. It’s says “Thailand” offers them amnesty. Actually, it’s South Korea that appears to be offering the Amnesty. Thailand, as usual, is offering them nothing and their pathetic handling of the country is why these people are abroad looking for reasonable pay in the first place. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Soidog said:

This was my confusion from the headlines. It’s says “Thailand” offers them amnesty. Actually, it’s South Korea that appears to be offering the Amnesty. Thailand, as usual, is offering them nothing and their pathetic handling of the country is why these people are abroad looking for reasonable pay in the first place. 

Well I wouldn't say they are offering them nothing, it seems this amnesty is in coordiance of the 2 countries........

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Well I wouldn't say they are offering them nothing, it seems this amnesty is in coordiance of the 2 countries........

Nar. The Koreans have told the Thais they need to get them out and they Thais have explained that if you charge them then they won’t come out of hiding. The Thai government give next to nothing to these kind of people. Barely people in the eyes of the elite Thais! 

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Nar. The Koreans have told the Thais they need to get them out and they Thais have explained that if you charge them then they won’t come out of hiding. The Thai government give next to nothing to these kind of people. Barely people in the eyes of the elite Thais! 

I don't really know what their obligation is to private citizens illegally working in another country

29 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I don't really know what their obligation is to private citizens illegally working in another country

Do they care what their obligations are?  They don’t seem to care much about millions of Thai people who live in the country.

This is a good initiative by the Korean government to give people a way home who may otherwise be scared of breaking cover. Perhaps the Thais will do the same for visa overstayers in Thailand 😂 

I don't think the Thai government got any obligation legally or morally to help these people. I can't think of any country assisting Nationals working illegally abroad in any way. Lots of foreigners got in trouble for working illegally in Thailand over the years. Who helps them? Nobody would be my guess

• Like 1

Thailand is not offering anything . The headline make it look like it is Thailand that offers some sort of amnesty. It is obviously South Korea which is doing this. But maybe Thailand could also be less aggressive and more lenient to over stayers or God forbid foreigners daring to work here illegally.

• Like 1