News Forum - Thai passport worth less than Cambodian

Thaiger

The Henley Passport Index released this week, ranks the passports of the world based on metrics such as how many countries one can travel to visa-free. Once again a Thai passport is worth less than many comparable nations and ranks a long way behind other nations that share similar demographics and income. There are not …

The story Thai passport worth less than Cambodian as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Angry 1

A flawed list.  All  EU passports are equal in value, so how can the list show individual European Nations in different positions.  One more fake list produced for no good reason and utterly meaningless 

• Like 1

You mean that that Thailand is actually a Third World country that has more in common with the likes of Laos and Cambodia than it has with the likes of Malaysia and Singapore? What a surprise. Well, no, actually - one of the few things that surprises me is how the Thai Baht stays so strong.

• Like 4

I guess what this shows, is that despite the soft words of diplomacy towards this military junta nation, most countries at a diplomatic level see it for what it really is. This of course doesn’t affect the elite and diplomats of Thailand as they get around such issue with stolen wealth of the nation. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

I guess what this shows, is that despite the soft words of diplomacy towards this military junta nation, most countries at a diplomatic level see it for what it really is. This of course doesn’t affect the elite and diplomats of Thailand as they get around such issue with stolen wealth of the nation. 

Regular every day Thais get on with their passports pretty well if they have good reason to travel

Sure, getting visas can be time consuming but once they travel abroad it all comes pretty easy, quite more so than most think

6 hours ago, Grumpish said:

You mean that that Thailand is actually a Third World country that has more in common with the likes of Laos and Cambodia than it has with the likes of Malaysia and Singapore? What a surprise. Well, no, actually - one of the few things that surprises me is how the Thai Baht stays so strong.

Good point.  Thailand seems to fancy itself as first world but is still far from it.

7 hours ago, Grumpish said:

I didn't realize Malaysia had such a strong passport

This is a useful site

https://www.passportindex.org/comparebyPassport.php?p1=my&p2=th

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Regular every day Thais get on with their passports pretty well if they have good reason to travel

Sure, getting visas can be time consuming but once they travel abroad it all comes pretty easy, quite more so than most think

Well, they are scored based on countries where you can enter visa exempt and the duration of stay etc. So of course once they have the correct visa they travel unhindered. It’s a rating based on visa freedoms and they are where they are because of things like “The little ghosts” in Korea and the fact Thailand is a military junta government in the eyes of many. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well, they are scored based on countries where you can enter visa exempt and the duration of stay etc. So of course once they have the correct visa they travel unhindered. It’s a rating based on visa freedoms and they are where they are because of things like “The little ghosts” in Korea and the fact Thailand is a military junta government in the eyes of many. 

Being a bit hyperbolic there, I'd say

The Thai passport was weak well before this military govt

26 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Being a bit hyperbolic there, I'd say

The Thai passport was weak well before this military govt

No not at all. My post was to make clear that the ranking was ALL about visa requirements and nothing else those visa requirements are based in a number of diplomatic opinions of Thais and Thailand. The fact they can travel unhindered once they have the requisite documents is neither here nor there. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Soidog said:

No not at all. My post was to make clear that the ranking was ALL about visa requirements and nothing else those visa requirements are based in a number of diplomatic opinions of Thais and Thailand. The fact they can travel unhindered once they have the requisite documents is neither here nor there. 

The military junta has only been in place recently, it has very little bearing on the passport weakness, which was weak well before recent times

My other point was about obtaining visas, not about travling after they get the visa

My point is, the Thai passport is not as weak or restrictive as it may seem once you have travel experience, or have proper reasons to travel

We had some initial trouble with visas with my wife, both in Canada and the US, since then my wife has been approved for visas all over the world with relative ease

Same with her mom and my stepson..........

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

The military junta has only been in place recently

Don’t be ridiculous. It’s been in place every 7 years on average. 😂

It’s weak Marc. You may hope it’s not but it’s ranked low. It’s because it’s a Shi*t hole compared to where you live. Stop making excuses. We all know what it is. Embrace “Thai style” 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 2:42 PM, Pinetree said:

A flawed list.  All  EU passports are equal in value, so how can the list show individual European Nations in different positions. 

Not flawed …. The Henley Passport index (HPI) ranks passports according to how many destinations can be reached using a particular country's ordinary passport without requiring a prior visa ('visa-free').

Not all European countries hold the same ability to enter visa free. Just because entry to most European countries is similar, not all European countries have same visa status outside of the European Union.
Full list 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henley_Passport_Index

• Thanks 1