News Forum - 2-year online romance ends when Swedish man dies in motorbike crash

Thaiger

A heart-wrenching tragedy played out when a Swedish man lost his life in a motorcycle crash in Roi Et province. The 50 year old had been in the country for just five days, visiting his Thai girlfriend whom he had met online two years prior. He had arrived just a few days earlier to finally …

The story 2-year online romance ends when Swedish man dies in motorbike crash as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Yet another big bike and life taken. Easy to get on and ride these bikes but one should know how to control a vehicle properly under all conditions. Sorry for his fiance.

• Like 3

A tragic tale for sure. It would be interesting to know what his Experian E of Thailand was. If it was the first time he’d met this girl after a 2 year online romance, then it sounds like he’s not a regular visitor? I would also think that hiring such a bike is not readily available in this part of Roi Et province? 

Unfortunately, these tragedies are all too common in Thailand. I was driving in Chiang Mai just this evening and witnessed a foreigner riding his motorbike far too fast with no crash helmet and weaving in and out of the traffic. Sunday evenings are usually quite busy due to the weekly market (walking street). I really don't understand why these people feel the need to speed through such busy areas, no matter how much experience they have.  It's just plain crazy!

15 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Unfortunately, these tragedies are all too common in Thailand. I was driving in Chiang Mai just this evening and witnessed a foreigner riding his motorbike far too fast with no crash helmet and weaving in and out of the traffic. Sunday evenings are usually quite busy due to the weekly market (walking street). I really don't understand why these people feel the need to speed through such busy areas, no matter how much experience they have.  It's just plain crazy!

Around 5pm near at Chang Peuack market going then straight down past the market this white foreign idiot I would say late twenties or early thirties was traveling overly extremely fast weaving in and out of heavy traffic going way way too close to bikes and cars. I was on a bike with my daughter and my wife on a bike a bit in front of us and he came less than 1/3 of a meter nearly hitting her. I think he had tank top on and shorts but also had a beige helmet on. He almost hit quite a few bikes and cars. I would have been more - more than happy to see this twerp break his neck, and I would have felt nothing but serves you right. Was it the same person? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Yeah, quite possibly the same nutter. definitely the same sort of time.

99.9% definitely the same twerp. That irrational behavior type of riding or driving never ever really happens. It stands out. I am surprised he didn’t have a lynch mob chasing him. He truly deserved a hard arse whooping. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Soidog said:

A tragic tale for sure. It would be interesting to know what his Experian E of Thailand was. If it was the first time he’d met this girl after a 2 year online romance, then it sounds like he’s not a regular visitor? I would also think that hiring such a bike is not readily available in this part of Roi Et province? 

Many new riders don't even understand counter steering. I'd be willing to bet this is exactly what happened here. He was past the speed threshhold and didn't steer the right way. Which made taking the turn even worse until he went off the road. 

(guy in video lives)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Around 5pm near at Chang Peuack market going then straight down past the market this white foreign idiot I would say late twenties or early thirties was traveling overly extremely fast weaving in and out of heavy traffic going way way too close to bikes and cars. I was on a bike with my daughter and my wife on a bike a bit in front of us and he came less than 1/3 of a meter nearly hitting her. I think he had tank top on and shorts but also had a beige helmet on. He almost hit quite a few bikes and cars. I would have been more - more than happy to see this twerp break his neck, and I would have felt nothing but serves you right. Was it the same person? 

He probably knows how to ride though. 

2 hours ago, socal said:

Possibly? But still a lunatic who is a danger to other people on the road. Certainly behaviour of which there is nothing to be proud of. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, socal said:

Many new riders don't even understand counter steering. I'd be willing to bet this is exactly what happened here. He was past the speed threshhold and didn't steer the right way. Which made taking the turn even worse until he went off the road. 

Counter steering? I really don't think the guy had lots of experience riding period. Every bike reacts and rides different, even scooters and 125cc gear bikes. Even tires make a difference and can slide. My Yamaha Filano Grand Scooter when on a tight turn tends to give and slide a tad bit when on the turn, so you have to really watch out for this. First time as with my daughter riding on the back and I thought - well well well, this is special. It does it almost everytime when approaching at the same velocity when trying to take a sharp turn really fast cutting it. I think most inexperienced riders for the first time on this type of small but bigger version of the Filano 125cc bike would lay it down. Engineering overlook as I see it.

Bigger bikes have different torque and balance reactions and one usually needs to get the familiarity of each bike before playing around. Even gear down shifting on a small or bigger bike to go into a corner can cause you to go sideways and lose it. Been there done that a long long time ago when young and learning how to ride the particular bigger bike, but luckily did not lose it. Heart was in the throat though! Learned really quick and yes was probably lucky as was in the mountains on a turn. And I never forgot! Know your bike and use your brakes. I haven't even come clsoe to riding every bike immaginable but have had the pleasure to ride big Harleys, some rice rockets, standard bikes like CBR's all the way to mopeds, and I respect them all. Not the firtst bike ridden, but I learned how to ride well on a Yamaha YZ 125cc diert bike about 12 yrs old. And yes have eaten it off jumps back in the day in the USA.

The Swedish guy was riding a Red bulky Honda PCX and in one news article was said speeding around a corner and may have hit a tiny rut and then did not recorrect steering and drove right into a ditch straight into the concrete tube pipe that allows water to go under a driveway from the road. There are several articles from other news agencies on this with different pictures to give you a better look and point on this, and one shows the corner in the background. Easy to see what he did and didn't do. As one poster noted, it does look like the tire or tires on worn on some part of the exterior tread, but could be the camera shot playing tricks. End of the day the guy is dead and it is his fault.

11 hours ago, socal said:

Yeah, it looked like he knew enough to hit the throttle and weave in and out of moving traffic and just missing some cars by inches/centimeters. Regardless of yes or no he knows how to ride, this twerp if doesn't kill himself will in the end cause an accident and maybe some one to be killed, mamed, paralyzed or severely hurt. Real riders know when to do it  as in play around and when not to. And this guy was twerp loose cannon who has zero right to be on a bike of any size. If he does happen to get killed or in an accident and I see a picture or happen to come across passing the accident, I will remember his look and helmet. No remorse for punk turds like him. 

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

Possibly? But still a lunatic who is a danger to other people on the road. Certainly behaviour of which there is nothing to be proud of. 

If the same guy, and I know he is the same one the other poster is reffering to, this late 20 - early 30 year old twerp needed to be caught and beaten silly. I was not going to speed to catch him (after he almopst hit my wife on a notehr bike) but if he was at a red light if I came up to the same light, I definetely would have given him a piece of my mind. Punks like this you really don't feel sorry if they die or lose a leg of become paralyzed. Oh, and also, twerps like this would just run the red light. Danger to society and gives us a bad name.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I am surprised your wife would drive a MB, my wife won't drive a MB unless it is the 2 or 3 small streets near her home

She's a bit of a wimp 555

Well and has 4 brothers and a son who do everything for her  :)

18 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

I am surprised your wife would drive a MB, my wife won't drive a MB unless it is the 2 or 3 small streets near her home

She's a bit of a wimp 555

Well and has 4 brothers and a son who do everything for her  :)

Yea we all like to ride bikes. It’s the easiest and most convenient way to scoot and get around with traffic and streets and we are very comfortable and safe with it. Depends on where we are going and time it is of the day, and what day for that matter of fact. And how many people are going and distance. 

She drives her 4 door Wildtrak truck to her small restaurant everyday and back and we use the bike ( or bikes if daughter goes) to go running everyday in the later afternoon which is 20-25 minutes away. Traffic sucks and bikes give freedom and are out in the air so to speak. 

I normally 98% ride a bike too. Just my preference here in CM, but we have a car and truck ( few years old and very very low miles) and the kids have their cars and bikes. Just depends on the timing. My son will ride his bike to university tomorrow as he has exams early which coincide with 7am traffic. Normally he drives. Daughter will drive the car, but today she had an early university exam time so she road the bike. Just all depends, but me and the wife really love bikes. 

1 minute ago, HolyCowCm said:

Yea we all like to ride bikes. It’s the easiest and most convenient way to scoot and get around with traffic and streets and we are very comfortable and safe with it. Depends on where we are going and time it is of the day, and what day for that matter of fact. And how many people are going and distance. 

She drives her 4 door Wildtrak truck to her small restaurant everyday and back and we use the bike ( or bikes if daughter goes) to go running everyday in the later afternoon which is 20-25 minutes away. Traffic sucks and bikes give freedom and are out in the air so to speak. 

I normally 98% ride a bike too. Just my preference here in CM, but we have a car and truck ( few years old and very very low miles) and the kids have their cars and bikes. Just depends on the timing. My son will ride his bike to university tomorrow as he has exams early which coincide with 7am traffic. Normally he drives. Daughter will drive the car, but today she had an early university exam time so she road the bike. Just all depends, but me and the wife really love bikes. 

Yes I LOVE riding the MB, it is one of my joys in Thailand

I even rented one in BKK for a few days in June, that was the 1st time riding in BKK

And as I suspected, wasn't that hard at all

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Yes I LOVE riding the MB, it is one of my joys in Thailand

I even rented one in BKK for a few days in June, that was the 1st time riding in BKK

And as I suspected, wasn't that hard at all

She won’t ride in BKK as we usually will drive in family cars. For in Bangkok I have zero problem with riding if out in the Bangkapi area where our family lives. Otherwise I take MRT, BTS and taxi cars and taxi motorcycles as usually I am there quite often doing meetings getting picked up and staying at hotels, and then of course drinking. No need to have a bike. But yes I have ridden all over Bangkok in the past. No biggie! 

On 1/29/2023 at 3:55 AM, Grumpish said:

It may be the light and camera angle, but that front tyre doesn't seem to have much tread on it.

I have never seen a combo of slicks and treads like that, so I am going with worn out tire.