News Forum - Pros and cons of investing property in Thailand

Thaiger

Are you considering investing in property in Thailand? Investing in Thailand can be a great way to make money and diversify your portfolio, but it is important to be aware of the pros and cons before investing. In this article, we will explore the advantages and disadvantages of investing in property in Thailand as a …

The story Pros and cons of investing property in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Investing in Thailand can be a great way to make money and diversify your portfolio

No it can't.  Investing in property here, as opposed to other countries, is risky, unprofitable, often illegal. and risky, apart from that, its also very risky. There is no stabilized, predictable and regulated property market here, so beware.  The old saying holds true, never invest in Thailand what you are not prepared to lose, because you probably will lose. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

No it can't.  Investing in property here, as opposed to other countries, is risky, unprofitable, often illegal. and risky, apart from that, its also very risky. There is no stabilized, predictable and regulated property market here, so beware.  The old saying holds true, never invest in Thailand what you are not prepared to lose, because you probably will lose. 

We bought a house this year in Nonthaburi and I told my wife I was only willing to spend 4mil baht

I told her I just don't think we can make money when selling it and we do plan on selling it in the next 7-10 years and moving to a new build in the village

We ended up paying 2.7mil and it's in a new upcoming area so I actually think we may be able to sell it for a profit 

But if we don't and we sell it at a loss equivalent to what renting a house for that period of time would be, I'm ok with that

In the end I think we will come out ahead vs renting all that time

But I ain't looking it as a money maker

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

We bought a house this year in Nonthaburi and I told my wife I was only willing to spend 4mil baht

I told her I just don't think we can make money when selling it and we do plan on selling it in the next 7-10 years and moving to a new build in the village

We ended up paying 2.7mil and it's in a new upcoming area so I actually think we may be able to sell it for a profit 

But if we don't and we sell it at a loss equivalent to what renting a house for that period of time would be, I'm ok with that

I think that’s a good way to look at it if you are committed to Thailand long term. In 10 years you’d spend 1,5-2 million easily on rents. The money you save will all but pay for your house or at least 60% of it and you still have the asset at the end.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I think that’s a good way to look at it if you are committed to Thailand long term. In 10 years you’d spend 1,5-2 million easily on rents. The money you save will all but pay for your house or at least 60% of it and you still have the asset at the end.  

Exactly. And it’s yours. 

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yup 

But I don't think I could do so in a 6-8mil range

And then the 6-8mil I will likely spend building a house in the village is not money I am looking to get back 

It will be whoever I leave behind to enjoy

Wife, stepson, grandkids

Edited by Marc26
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Exactly. And it’s yours. 

And as you know

That's a massive important factor for a Thai lady

Yes, financially I think it's the smarter move 

But just as much her owning the house and the pride that comes with it

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marc26 said:

And as you know

That's a massive important factor for a Thai lady

Yes, financially I think it's the smarter move 

But just as much her owning the house and the pride that comes with it

It is actually a big relief as well having everything paid being zeroed only needing to pay for water, electricty and doing costs of maintenance which is constant. seems airconditioners are one of the costs more often than not, and each room has one in it so we have a total of 6. Otherwise then you are always doing hands on things to keep things ok as I will say USA homes are far more well built than homes here. The pride is having the foundation of a solid family home that will always be there for us to live till we pass away, and for the kids to always be able to come back home after they eventually move on to deal with their lives.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Are you considering investing in property in Thailand? Investing in Thailand can be a great way to make money and diversify your portfolio, but it is important to be aware of the pros and cons before investing. In this article, we will explore the advantages and disadvantages of investing in property in Thailand as a …

The story Pros and cons of investing property in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

There is no Pro to investing in Thailand

17 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I agree. Buying a 'forever home' with your Thai partner is of course, a very different preposition, which we all acknowledge. That, in my view, is not the same as investing for profit as a business venture here.  You can maybe make acceptable investment returns in Bangkok, or CM,  but my argument would be that you can make the same, or better, and safer returns in a regulated market, in the large cities in your own country, bar Russia of course.   I too 'invested' in both a house and a condo here, for my g/f x 2 and  daughter to inherit, with no thought of selling. I live in the house. so for all practical purposes, it is my 'forever home', so I was prepared to spend money to make it how I want it for my remining lifetime.  Was I to be thrown out of Thailand for whatever reason, I would still survive the disappointment and the financial hit ,   

• Like 1