News Forum - DLT increases fines for motorists who fail to stop at zebra crossings

Thaiger

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) increased the fine for motorists failing to stop at a zebra crossing from 1,000 baht to 4,000 baht. The DLT will also deduct one point from an offender’s driving license. A survey conducted last year by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation, and the Thai Roads Foundation, revealed that almost …

The story DLT increases fines for motorists who fail to stop at zebra crossings as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What good will an increased fine be when there is almost no enforcement? While tourist risk their lives at zebra crossings on the beach road in Patong, the police are manning checkpoints far from the zebra crossings pulling over foreigners (only) on motorbikes to check for a license and helmet. 

• Like 4

This is absurd, every day the police officer in the booth at the intersection of Sukhumvit and Soi 4 sits there and watches vehicles of all sorts violate the crosswalks, they do absolutely nothing.  What sense is a fine without enforcement?

• Like 3

If it is obviously red yes, but consideration has to be if the car or bike traveling is in motion and orange turns at a point that they cannot safely stop and then continue through, then no. Photos here will show the vehicle in the intersection when red and this is probably going to get you a fine which in that case is a should not be fines. But pedestrians should also not start walking until it iis green and safe to go. Common sense but TIT.

Just out of curiosity I stopped to watch the crossing near Central on Pattaya 2nd Road for a few minutes. Motorcycles pretty much ignored the stop signal completely and went straight through travelling too fast to be able to stop. Anything else, probably less than 50% stopped, regardless of whether anyone was walking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grumpish said:

Just out of curiosity I stopped to watch the crossing near Central on Pattaya 2nd Road for a few minutes. Motorcycles pretty much ignored the stop signal completely and went straight through travelling too fast to be able to stop. Anything else, probably less than 50% stopped, regardless of whether anyone was walking.

Same here in CM. Makes me nervous riding a bike and seeing the crosswalk luminate to red and knowing cars and bikes are running fast directly behind me. One day I think I will get rear ended as the chances are very high.

1 hour ago, Mongo said:

This is absurd, every day the police officer in the booth at the intersection of Sukhumvit and Soi 4 sits there and watches vehicles of all sorts violate the crosswalks, they do absolutely nothing.  What sense is a fine without enforcement?

Agreed. But it’s hot outside the booth! Increase the fine to 10,000,000 baht. Won’t make any difference. Window dressing I’m afraid. 

• Like 1

If they truly want to resolve this problem, then the installation of brightly coloured ANPR cameras is the solution.

If they don’t have the budget for that, then offer 1000 of the 4000 bht fine (paid after it is collected) to anybody providing a photo or video that clearly shows a crossing violation. They would be totally inundated with the evidence needed for the authorities to make an absolute fortune, which in turn will provide the money for a long term ANPR fix.

7-11 2nd Road Jomtien crossing, even has cars parking and obstructing the crossing whilst the occupants pop in to the 7-11 for shopping.

IMO, it’s much safer to cross roads well away from official crossings. 

• Like 2

Having recently started driving in Thailand, what I've noticed is, just like other traffic, I'm not always stopping at the zebra crossings (without traffic lights) too. This surprised me as I always stop in my home country of Australia.

A big part of the reason is heavy traffic and diesel particulate fade the crossing lines. You often only notice them when it is almost too late and then one is reticent to press the brakes hard for fear of being hit by traffic behind not stopping. 

Illuminated crossing signs would also be useful in getting motorists attention. 

7 hours ago, Effloroforte said:

Having recently started driving in Thailand, what I've noticed is, just like other traffic, I'm not always stopping at the zebra crossings (without traffic lights) too. This surprised me as I always stop in my home country of Australia.

A big part of the reason is heavy traffic and diesel particulate fade the crossing lines. You often only notice them when it is almost too late and then one is reticent to press the brakes hard for fear of being hit by traffic behind not stopping. 

Illuminated crossing signs would also be useful in getting motorists attention. 

Actually, you have to be very careful stoping at a crossing without lots of time. The two risks are of a car hitting the back of you as they don’t expect you to stop. The other is that you then block the view of the pedestrians as they cross in front of you. I’ve stopped many times and pedestrians cross, only to be nearly taken out by some Knob Head on a motorcycle or even a car overtaking on the crossing. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Thaiger said:

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) increased the fine for motorists failing to stop at a zebra crossing from 1,000 baht to 4,000 baht. The DLT will also deduct one point from an offender’s driving license. A survey conducted last year by the Thai Health Promotion Foundation, and the Thai Roads Foundation, revealed that almost …

The story DLT increases fines for motorists who fail to stop at zebra crossings as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Might as make 20K as no one will ever be fined, Outside Thonglor graft collection station where there is a zebra xing with lights which cars and motorbikes often drive though on the red with no consequence