News Forum - Cheating Thai professors who research everything

Thaiger

When a student is caught cheating in an exam, the penalty, at the very least, is a failing grade. So when it became public recently that cheating Thai professors had bought their research papers, the student body, among many others, was eager to see what punishment would result. The Higher Education Ministry has told all …

The story Cheating Thai professors who research everything as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I know that software has been developed and used over the last 10 years that scans papers and then compares them to existing published papers, and if there are sections, paragraphs or even whole pages with identical text, it is highlighted and the 'author' can be cited for plagiarism.

This was a thing a few years ago with politicians in England and in Germany when I was living there.

But I guess the software is not available in all languages, so Iraq, Iran Hungary and Russia are prime sources for buying a section of a university's saved dissitations and then simply translating into Thai!

Cheating is cheating, and cheats and liars are not the type of peope to be teaching the kids!

BUT, politicians beware. If the scanning software I mentioned starts being used in schools, then they will at some point make the next step to scan historical papers as well, and then politician's degree and doctorate papers will also go under the microscope! :-)

20 minutes ago, UncleFatBloke said:

BUT, politicians beware. If the scanning software I mentioned starts being used in schools,

Will the same software highlight that the Thai history kids are taught in school is BS? Now that would be a useful piece of software! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

Just another reason why a diploma from most Thai universities is worthless in the  advanced world.

Although I don't disagree fully with you

And believe me, we have dealt with some insane scams at Thamassat involving my son's professors

If you do well in a good University in Thailand and work the system right, there is plenty of opportunity 

My stepson is #2 on waiting list for a full scholarship to Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and Cal Berkeley 

He placed 27 out of 400 and they are taking 25

Our niece got a very good engineering job at a Japanese multinational company 

Her BF is the # 1 ranked student at Chulalongkorn and has all kinds of companies outside Thailand recruiting 

None of that it to brag(although I am bragging)

And I do agree with mostly 

It can be done.....

I also know a decent amount of Thais in my industry (stock market) that got good jobs in US

But almost all of them went to legit International schools before Thai University 

• Like 1

My point was in respect to the intrinsic value and perception.  At my employer, if a candidate presents for a job, all things appearing equal, but one is a graduate of the National University of Singapore and the other a graduate of Prince of Songkla, the NSU graduate is most likely to be hired. it says a lot when Thammasat, one of Thailand's better universities, on its own web page touts that it is hoping to become a world class university; "Thammasat University moves forward to international level as it has a strong vision of becoming a world-class university".   IMO, Thailand's academic institutions are not respected and one must consider the value proposition if it is worth attending one or a foreign university.

On 1/22/2023 at 3:50 AM, Marc26 said:

Although I don't disagree fully with you

And believe me, we have dealt with some insane scams at Thamassat involving my son's professors

If you do well in a good University in Thailand and work the system right, there is plenty of opportunity 

My stepson is #2 on waiting list for a full scholarship to Harvard, Stanford, Columbia and Cal Berkeley 

He placed 27 out of 400 and they are taking 25

Our niece got a very good engineering job at a Japanese multinational company 

Her BF is the # 1 ranked student at Chulalongkorn and has all kinds of companies outside Thailand recruiting 

None of that it to brag(although I am bragging)

And I do agree with mostly 

It can be done.....

I also know a decent amount of Thais in my industry (stock market) that got good jobs in US

But almost all of them went to legit International schools before Thai University 

There will be outlyers in any society, good and bad, good in the examples you quote.  However, the Thai education system generally, throughout the country, including its colleges and Universities is appallingly bad and does not stand up to international scrutiny. I must say that it is not improved much by employing second and third rate, often unqualified, (TOFL, ESOL etc are not true teaching qualifications, I know, I have one)   foreign teachers in far too many public schools. (cue the deniers). With many examples of good systems locally, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan being the obvious example's, one can only assume that the Thai élite like it just the way it is, it keeps the Plebeians in their place.   

27 minutes ago, Vigo said:

Thailand's academic institutions are not respected and one must consider the value proposition if it is worth attending one or a foreign university.

Yes, but perhaps apart from the Russel Group of UK Universities, the rest in the UK are not much better than here,  as they fall under the spell of the idiot left and dumb down graduate level education so that anyone can end up with a worthless certificate.  

2 hours ago, Pinetree said:

There will be outlyers in any society, good and bad, good in the examples you quote.  However, the Thai education system generally, throughout the country, including its colleges and Universities is appallingly bad and does not stand up to international scrutiny. I must say that it is not improved much by employing second and third rate, often unqualified, (TOFL, ESOL etc are not true teaching qualifications, I know, I have one)   foreign teachers in far too many public schools. (cue the deniers). With many examples of good systems locally, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan being the obvious example's, one can only assume that the Thai élite like it just the way it is, it keeps the Plebeians in their place.   

I definitely don't disagree with you

And quite frankly I wonder how wel KY son will/would do if he got into one of those schools in the US

But he may need to do sort of a course here in Canada to have his Physical Therapy degree from Thamassat be certified here

So I will be interested in how that goes....

Because I don't know how it will go

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

I definitely don't disagree with you

And quite frankly I wonder how wel KY son will/would do if he got into one of those schools in the US

But he may need to do sort of a course here in Canada to have his Physical Therapy degree from Thamassat be certified here

So I will be interested in how that goes....

Because I don't know how it will go

My half Thai daughter was educated in the UK, from age 8 to 21, when she gained her degree from a UK uni.  I thank our lucky starts that her mother and I made that decision as early as we did. 

6 hours ago, Pinetree said:

My half Thai daughter was educated in the UK, from age 8 to 21, when she gained her degree from a UK uni.  I thank our lucky starts that her mother and I made that decision as early as we did. 

Yes I think it's criminal when guys selfishly educate their kids in Thailand when they could get way better educations in their parent's homeland

And I partially include myself in that

My wife moved to Canada when my stepson was 9

Her Immigration medical came back with a minor issue and we were sort in limbo for 3 years if she could stay in Canada

When we finally were assured she could my stepson was 12 and we thought he was too old to come and assimilate easy.

We've seen that issue happen with offer kids in other families 

In hindsight we were wrong 

Now I am not one to thing the "West is Best" but I just see no reason not to educate your kids there if you can when they can always then go to Thailand and have an advantage as well as being on par globally 

We are somewhat trying to correct our mistake now with supplementing his Thai University here in Canada

But he's now almost 22yrs old and enjoys his life in Thailand 

So I will strongly advise him to give Canada a shot, it will ultimately be his decision 

And if he stays in Thailand I think he will do quite well but I will know we didn't give him the best advantage globally 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Yes I think it's criminal when guys selfishly educate their kids in Thailand when they could get way better educations in their parent's homeland

Her Immigration medical came back with a minor issue and we were sort in limbo for 3 years if she could stay in Canada

When we finally were assured she could my stepson was 12 and we thought he was too old to come and assimilate easy.

Now I am not one to thing the "West is Best" but I just see no reason not to educate your kids there if you can when they can always then go to Thailand and have an advantage as well as being on par globally 

We are somewhat trying to correct our mistake now with supplementing his Thai University here in Canada

So I will strongly advise him to give Canada a shot, it will ultimately be his decision 

And if he stays in Thailand I think he will do quite well but I will know we didn't give him the best advantage globally 

The problem in Thailand is that it’s not just about a quality education, Thai or Western. If you don’t have the money to pay your way to the top in many professions, then you remain at a junior level. While this may not be the case in small to medium enterprises, it is certainly the case in government and larger institutions such as banks. 

On 1/24/2023 at 3:09 AM, Pinetree said:

Yes, but perhaps apart from the Russel Group of UK Universities, the rest in the UK are not much better than here,  as they fall under the spell of the idiot left and dumb down graduate level education so that anyone can end up with a worthless certificate.  

I would like to be able to disagree, but I can't. It is not too bad with the more academic subjects, the "hard" science subjects for example, but these are swamped by the often worthless and pointless soft subjects. And a lot of graduates find that out the hard way, when they discover that their degree in some made up subject is completely useless in the job market. My niece for example, ended up re-training as a teacher after discovering that her degree in Theatrical Costume Design was pretty much worthless when it came to finding work.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Marc26 said:

There is a downside that we have seen in our daughter.  She has pretty much rejected Thailand, its culture, its living conditions, its prospects etic.  She will come for a short holiday, but she is always glad to leave and go 'home' to the UK. Its a shame I guess, but maybe it was inevitable.