News Forum - Vegan and vegetarian options in Thai cuisine

Thaiger

Thai cuisine is renowned for its rich, flavorful dishes. But did you know that it is also surprisingly abundant in vegan and vegetarian options? While many dishes are traditionally made with meat and fish, there are plenty of Thai vegan and vegetarian food available. From noodles to curries, there is something for everyone no matter …

The story Vegan and vegetarian options in Thai cuisine as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• 2 weeks later...

Chiang Mai is great for vegetarian and vegan food. Samoeng not so good but we manage ok. We gave up animal stuff about 5 years ago for what might said are 'the usual reasons', ie, animal welfare, health and the environment, not necessaily in that order. 

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

We gave up animal stuff about 5 years ago for what might said are 'the usual reasons', ie, animal welfare, health and the environment, not necessaily in that order. 

Now that I can accept and even sympathize with.  You may not wish to read the next bit ! 

This Christmas we bought a farm fresh chicken from Big C , already  deceased of course  and so called 'prepared'.  When I came to cook it, it still had a head, legs and was full of blood.  I couldn't deal with it and even now, despite chicken being a favorite of mine, I can't stand the thought of eating it.  Hypocritical I know, as I am both an animal lover and a meat and poultry eater, but its getting harder to cope with what this entails for the animals. 

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

Chiang Mai is great for vegetarian and vegan food. Samoeng not so good but we manage ok. We gave up animal stuff about 5 years ago for what might said are 'the usual reasons', ie, animal welfare, health and the environment, not necessaily in that order. 

Best vegetarian food I have eaten that is supposed to look like meat. Kind of defeats the purpose but yes the food is delicious. 

6 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Now that I can accept and even sympathize with.  You may not wish to read the next bit ! 

This Christmas we bought a farm fresh chicken from Big C , already  deceased of course  and so called 'prepared'.  When I came to cook it, it still had a head, legs and was full of blood.  I couldn't deal with it and even now, despite chicken being a favorite of mine, I can't stand the thought of eating it.  Hypocritical I know, as I am both an animal lover and a meat and poultry eater, but its getting harder to cope with what this entails for the animals. 

I have offed plenty of chickens here over time. The wife and me used to shelter it from our son as he is unfortunately sensitive a bit or felt sorry for the animal. But now he is older he is getting better and more realistic. No biggie to me as I believe you should be able to kill what you eat, and even miles one over 30 years ago in Nepal because my Hindi guide didn’t want the bad juju. But they ate it after. It was in Namche Bazar city because I was so sick of potatoes and a dish called dal baht. 

13 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

No biggie to me as I believe you should be able to kill what you eat,

I'm sure that's right, but 26 years in the UK Military, 6 of it in the Army and the balance in the RAF, and 2 months in the Falkland's in 1982, have not cured my innate sensitivity to the death of 'animals'.  Humans I'm okay with, but I don't want to eat them afterwards. As I say, hypocritical.  

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

I'm sure that's right, but 26 years in the UK Military, 6 of it in the Army and the balance in the RAF, and 2 months in the Falkland's in 1982, have not cured my innate sensitivity to the death of 'animals'.  Humans I'm okay with, but I don't want to eat them afterwards. As I say, hypocritical.  

Yes always usually more compassion towards most animals. They give unconditional love. For me when young we had a farm and at first it was hard and I didn't eat the animal, but as grew became ok. No one lieks it but only kill as much as you need to eat is the principle. So no, I will never be a vegetarian and do beleive to take the hypocritical out of the running by at least knowing how and where your food comes from. Everywhere here has rats, so we put glue plates down to cathc them as they come from the rice fields smelling people food and garbage. I am the exucutioner smashing their heads in with  rock, and after always look up to the sky and say sorry, it had to be done. Vegetarian food I like and I love vegetables, but for not the same reason maybe the fanatics do.

18 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I have offed plenty of chickens here over time. The wife and me used to shelter it from our son as he is unfortunately sensitive a bit or felt sorry for the animal. But now he is older he is getting better and more realistic. No biggie to me as I believe you should be able to kill what you eat, and even miles one over 30 years ago in Nepal because my Hindi guide didn’t want the bad juju. But they ate it after. It was in Namche Bazar city because I was so sick of potatoes and a dish called dal baht. 

I have never had to kill or butcher my own meat, but would have no qualms about doing it if I  had to - as far as I am me concerned, as an unrepentant omnivore, it would be hypocritical to be otherwise. To be honest, I often find vegan dishes rather bland, and often wonder if a lot of vegans actually have some kind of hangup about enjoying food. 

22 hours ago, Grumpish said:

I have never had to kill or butcher my own meat, but would have no qualms about doing it if I  had to - as far as I am me concerned, as an unrepentant omnivore, it would be hypocritical to be otherwise. To be honest, I often find vegan dishes rather bland, and often wonder if a lot of vegans actually have some kind of hangup about enjoying food. 

Yeah, you do what is necessary when have to. I have lived in some places here that it was cheaper and easier just to get a chicken and kill it for dinner. No big deal.