News Forum - Bank of Thailand blames dating app for phone hacking

Thaiger

The Bank of Thailand (BoT) denied a claim made on social media that a man lost money from his bank account after recharging his phone at a public outlet. BoT believes the theft occurred because the man was a victim of a malware attack. Police also attributed the theft to malware, stating that the user …

The story Bank of Thailand blames dating app for phone hacking as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

54 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

Deputy national police chief Pol Gen Torsak Sukwimol said the phone owner had installed an unsafe dating app named “Sweet meet” and that was the cause of the money theft.

[...]

“People must take heed and download only applications available through Google Play or the App Store.”

Sweet meet is available on both the Play Store as well the App Store, so why give advice that undermines the claim that inspired it?

They (Google and Apple) obviously haven't identified it as possibly being malware and more accurately: no one has, at least until now. The Pol Gen's team apparently did a forensic black box analysis and/or reconstructed the source code overnight and is now in a position to proclaim that it's the cause of money loss. Right, now pull the other one. Perhaps SweetMeet should consider it grounds for defamation.

The blind are leading the blind once more (sigh...).

• Like 3

There are people claiming that using a borrowed charging cable and plug, the wall plug more than it should be, can be a downfall, but only hearsay.  Maybe some truth TIT😄

Article quote: Police also attributed the theft to malware, stating that the user had downloaded an unsafe dating app called “sweet meet.”

Did they mean to say " Sweet Meat"?

6 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Article quote: Police also attributed the theft to malware, stating that the user had downloaded an unsafe dating app called “sweet meet.”

Did they mean to say " Sweet Meat"?

It's all about meat that meets sweet meat.

6 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

It's all about meat that meets sweet meat.

Maybe sweat meat is a completely different non heterosexual man’s swingers club. 

8 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Maybe sweat meat is a completely different non heterosexual man’s swingers club. 

No consonance of meat with sweat there but there's some alliteration with sweet. Frankly, I don't get any of that post right now. Perhaps in the morning when I think "Duh!" (happens frequently). For now, I'm switching of my brain in order to watch a movie.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

No consonance of meat with sweat there but there's some alliteration with sweet. Frankly, I don't get any of that post right now. Perhaps in the morning when I think "Duh!" (happens frequently). For now, I'm switching of my brain in order to watch a movie.

Don’t think too hard, just was a joke. 

He must have downloaded the app on his iPhone, as we established yesterday:

"He added he has two phones, an Android and iPhone. He mainly uses the iPhone for calls, messages, banking etc., and only uses his Android phone to play games."

So nothing to do with charging an Android phone.

52 minutes ago, Chatogaster said:

Oh I see. My fingers typed sweat and should have been sweet. Bad joke anyway. Cheers 

"Wisanusan said he did not use the phone other than to charge it in public."

I thought I was the only one who bought phones just to do that!

• Haha 2