News Forum - Thailand among 25 countries with least paid leave days

Thaiger

Thailand is among a list of countries offering the least amount of days of paid leave and paid public holidays in the world, according to a new study by Resume.io. No East/Southeast Asian country whatsoever made it into the top 25 countries with the most amount of paid public holidays and paid annual leave days. …

The story Thailand among 25 countries with least paid leave days as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

People needs to be productive for any country to be economically in a strong position. Nearly 70% of the countries where there are high holidays are facing economic turmoil. It is human nature that the performance momentum of humans are slow just before and after any public holiday. So if there are 50 public holidays, which means 150 productive days are lost in a year, leaving only 50%  of the days in a year for any productive contribution, including weekends. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

People needs to be productive for any country to be economically in a strong position. Nearly 70% of the countries where there are high holidays are facing economic turmoil. It is human nature that the performance momentum of humans are slow just before and after any public holiday. So if there are 50 public holidays, which means 150 productive days are lost in a year, leaving only 50%  of the days in a year for any productive contribution, including weekends. 

I will believe you if you show examples.

3 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Since Covid many American companies have gone to work from home and stuck with work from home for staff as studies have shown productivity increased.  So people working from home and having more free time but are more productive.  So I don't think your argument holds any weight.  People are not machines, they are humans that need time off to rejuvenate from work.

• Like 1

America has zero.

I had a business here and believe me it's painful to pay for 15 days holidays.

Why you guys sensationalized this.

It's quite good in my opinion 

Ah yes... the wonderful world of international labor laws governing paid holidays. A matter close to my heart. So much misleading information, smoke, mirrors and window dressing. And a huge residue of soggy tea leaves at the bottom of every cup to read in order to determine what is really happening in every country.

The article gets some things right but as always with these 'lists', there is a hellava lot more to it. Straight off the bat, I certainly hope nobody goes away from the article thinking that Iran, Togo and Guinea are the best countries to work in if you like your long weekends 😀

Important factors are:

* Some countries mandate paid national holidays (e.g. Germany, Philippines) while others do not (USA, Indonesia), so the discretion of the company is crucial.

* Some countries have a statutory number of paid holidays but in practice very, very few workers take their full  allocation (Japan, South Korea).

* Some countries stipulate a different allocation based on length of tenure in a company (Canada, Mexico, Vietnam).

* Some countries determine paid holidays based on how many sick days you take (Brazil).

* Yet other countries operate a federal body which allows (wealthy) companies to screw their workers out of statutory entitlements through so-called enterprise bargaining agreements.

Thailand has 6 paid holidays with 13 national holidays on top. On face value rather low, but it would be disingenuous to say that Thailand is one of the worst countries in terms of taking time off. It depends largely on the working conditions of each individual company and the company's labor culture. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, farangba said:

America has zero.

I had a business here and believe me it's painful to pay for 15 days holidays.

Why you guys sensationalized this.

It's quite good in my opinion 

What do you mean America has zero?

15 hours ago, Totoro said:

@Ramanathan.P

Utter BS.

Come on friend...don't read things from your feeling. Try to look into things from practical perspective. Those who invest needs to make money which for them is important. The country needs income from the tax and currency flow into the country via they system causing multiplier ripple effects. What I comment is based on my view. Similarly you also have the right to share your view. But if we see things with feelings, then the logic view might not be visible to us....cheers. Have a nice day

Most factory don't take the holidays and they certainly don't pay for time off if on a daily wage. Thailand has the most days worked as the average is 6 per week.

36 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Most factory don't take the holidays and they certainly don't pay for time off if on a daily wage. Thailand has the most days worked as the average is 6 per week.

Factories work 48hrs on week basis. The biggest challenge is stopping and starting back the production line as it is economy of scale. Any disruptions will cause heavy rejections and it will affect the bottom line of the financial P&L. Normally factories run on rotation shifts and the operators are given shift allowance based on the collective agreement or contract agreement. Further factory workers are also provided with other allowances like housing and transportation if it is not provided by the company. Again it depends on the company policy. 

22 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Factories work 48hrs on week basis. The biggest challenge is stopping and starting back the production line as it is economy of scale. Any disruptions will cause heavy rejections and it will affect the bottom line of the financial P&L. Normally factories run on rotation shifts and the operators are given shift allowance based on the collective agreement or contract agreement. Further factory workers are also provided with other allowances like housing and transportation if it is not provided by the company. Again it depends on the company policy. 

I know food and packaging factory. Most all food factory I know run 6 days a week and they do OT, but some do run a scattered sunday shift and do not close the lines. The office and sales department go home though. Depending on how their workload with PO's and contracts are will be based if they run 2 shifts in a day. There is no challenge to start and stop production lines if it is just for one day. But in foiod undustry when you get large holidays like Songkran or New Years then the factory will have a major clean up to shut down and when they go back they do another clean up to start production back up. No food industry factory I know of gives housing or allowances and I know quite a lot and many that are large. You are probably referring to factory like automotive or other industrial factory like in BOI estates and areas out of the way for where they need to import workers and employees. I used to be a project manager here a long time ago helping build factory or additions, and they did bus in the workers and gave good incentives to keep them once they got past probationary period which could be up to a year in some cases. But not all, but yes some did for sure. For contruction companies housing and transportation allowances are given to staff, and in some cases rental allowances are given for the crew. 

7 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I know food and packaging factory. Most all food factory I know run 6 days a week and they do OT, but some do run a scattered sunday shift and do not close the lines. The office and sales department go home though. Depending on how their workload with PO's and contracts are will be based if they run 2 shifts in a day. There is no challenge to start and stop production lines if it is just for one day. But in foiod undustry when you get large holidays like Songkran or New Years then the factory will have a major clean up to shut down and when they go back they do another clean up to start production back up. No food industry factory I know of gives housing or allowances and I know quite a lot and many that are large. You are probably referring to factory like automotive or other industrial factory like in BOI estates and areas out of the way for where they need to import workers and employees. I used to be a project manager here a long time ago helping build factory or additions, and they did bus in the workers and gave good incentives to keep them once they got past probationary period which could be up to a year in some cases. But not all, but yes some did for sure. For contruction companies housing and transportation allowances are given to staff, and in some cases rental allowances are given for the crew. 

My wife worked for the factory that produced the plastic for Colgate, in Samut Prakan and she lived at the factory

And then she lived in Samut Prakan for quite some time until last year and there are many factories there with housing.............

12 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

My wife worked for the factory that produced the plastic for Colgate, in Samut Prakan and she lived at the factory

And then she lived in Samut Prakan for quite some time until last year and there are many factories there with housing.............

There are some as stated but most don’t. For the food industry if at all it is on a small minuscule percent. I know of some schools that have in Campus teacher housing. I know a huge food factory out Kanchanburi way that has a little city that it owns. Used to call it Little Burma. They had 3 different names factory on a huge vast of land with private streets running between them. Probably near 4500-5000 workers, but they needed a way to keep them all so Little Burma was built up around it. 

Was the plastic manufacturer a subsidiary of Corporate Colgate Palmolive?

18 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Was the plastic manufacturer a subsidiary of Corporate Colgate Palmolive?

It was called 4M Plastics, or 4 Plastics

There only client was Colgate