News Forum - Belgian-Moroccan tourist breaks his back in motorbike crash in northern Thailand

Thaiger

A Belgian-Moroccan tourist broke his back in a motorbike accident en route to a waterfall in the hippie backpacker town of Pai in Mae Hong Son province, northern Thailand, yesterday. Issam Messaoudi and his friend rented a motorbike and headed to Mor Paeng Waterfall when they lost control and came off the steep and slippery …

The story Belgian-Moroccan tourist breaks his back in motorbike crash in northern Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Another foreigner again. I think these people just don't understand the road condition and are renting motorcycles which are like moped style where everything is only control by the handle. Such bikes are not suitable for hill and winding roads. They need proper motorcycle with good breaking conditions where the breaks are handled via leg pressure. Most of the lower CC rental bikes are not suitable for such journey. This will be a never ending story unless the authorities go after the bike rental shops for renting to those without proper driving permits 

29 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Another foreigner again. I think these people just don't understand the road condition and are renting motorcycles which are like moped style where everything is only control by the handle. Such bikes are not suitable for hill and winding roads. They need proper motorcycle with good breaking conditions where the breaks are handled via leg pressure. Most of the lower CC rental bikes are not suitable for such journey. This will be a never ending story unless the authorities go after the bike rental shops for renting to those without proper driving permits 

There's quite a bit of disparity between your argument and its surprising conclusion (last sentence). If the argument is valid, the logical conclusion would have to be that rental shops should put more of an effort into enticing customers to rent proper motorcycles instead of mopeds.

Now this guy if going to that particular waterfall had no busines on a bike. There is nothing hard about riding a bike to go there. Sure the author has the water fall correct?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Now this guy if going to that particular waterfall had no busines on a bike. There is nothing hard about riding a bike to go there. Sure the author has the water fall correct?

TIT doesn't take much here to change the road dynamics, dog, cat, pig, idiot overtaking coming your way etc etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chatogaster said:

There's quite a bit of disparity between your argument and its surprising conclusion (last sentence). If the argument is valid, the logical conclusion would have to be that rental shops should put more of an effort into enticing customers to rent proper motorcycles instead of mopeds.

Why blame the rental shop. The shop is to make money for them it is business. As the consumer the person who rent the bike has to use his brain to see which bike is suitable for the ride. If not then don't rent as it is very clear that the person renting the bike doesn't have any experience. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Why blame the rental shop. The shop is to make money for them it is business. As the consumer the person who rent the bike has to use his brain to see which bike is suitable for the ride. If not then don't rent as it is very clear that the person renting the bike doesn't have any experience. 

You were suggesting the authorities go after the shops..

Renting a motorcycle easily is part of what makes Thailand awesome to a lot of people. It gives one freedom to explore on their own as they wish. Let's not punish everybody because some people crash.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, palooka said:

TIT doesn't take much here to change the road dynamics, dog, cat, pig, idiot overtaking coming your way etc etc.

ALL Everything can do. Finished. 

• Like 1

Most unfamiliar with the terrain underestimated and go into the corners too fast.

The steep slopes using the wrong braking techniques can cause a potential accidents and bear in mind most rentals are not in the best conditions with brakes and tyres. 

11 hours ago, Wackamole said:

Renting a motorcycle easily is part of what makes Thailand awesome to a lot of people. It gives one freedom to explore on their own as they wish. Let's not punish everybody because some people crash.

Exactly. Same applies to Thais. Why bother with a proper license? Watch a video and you are ready to go.

Edited by Dennis
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Wackamole said:

Well...being an adventure biker....I have no comments on your view. Let every one do what they like and face the consequences along the way. I end my case...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, palooka said:

If the rider cannot navigate these hurdles then the person should not be riding or driving here. Now in CM for motrbikes you have to throw in the mornic Chinese that rent bikes or are walking too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, HiuMak said:

Most unfamiliar with the terrain underestimated and go into the corners too fast.

The steep slopes using the wrong braking techniques can cause a potential accidents and bear in mind most rentals are not in the best conditions with brakes and tyres. 

I drove mountain roads in France, Switserland, Austria and Italy, but I never saw crazy car drivers like the Thai on the CM-Pai-Mae Hong Son road. You don't cut blind corners on mountain roads.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Alavan said:

I drove mountain roads in France, Switserland, Austria and Italy, but I never saw crazy car drivers like the Thai on the CM-Pai-Mae Hong Son road. You don't cut blind corners on mountain roads.

I think I may have been here too long now as I think that is normal, and I have ridden that road over 10 times one way and then 10 back with total 20 +.

5 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

I think I may have been here too long now as I think that is normal, and I have ridden that road over 10 times one way and then 10 back with total 20 +.

I did it only six times.
Just watch out if you have a blind corner where you have to turn left.

13 hours ago, Alavan said:

I did it only six times.
Just watch out if you have a blind corner where you have to turn left.

Yes you are 100% correct as it is Thai Mountain driving etiquette to cut over both lanes while doing any type of a corner, and especially on a blind hard angle corner. In all tyhose trips I have seen probably 3-4 accidents of foreingers that wiped out in these type of cut corners. You do have to watch out, but they the Thai even do this on normal roads with a bend. I just never understood the mentaility unless the road is truly clear, but they do it automaticaly. On normal roads I find it more engaging to keep my car or truck in the lines. Keeps the reflexes better. But not Thai on the majority.

On 1/13/2023 at 1:45 PM, Wackamole said:

Indeed. Not to mention that sometimes even experienced drivers do crash too, s*** can happen to anyone. 2 people I know have had minor crashes recently, both of them have been driving in Thailand for years. It was perhaps simply a bad luck day for that poor Belgian guy...