News Forum - International school teacher accused of molesting kindergarten student in Koh Samui

Thaiger

A teacher at an international school in Koh Samui in Surat Thani province, southern Thailand, has been accused of molesting a kindergarten student. Deputy Commissioner of the Royal Thai Police Pol. Maj. Gen. Surchate “Big Joke” Hakparn travelled to the island yesterday to attend a meeting about the progress of the case so far. The …

The story International school teacher accused of molesting kindergarten student in Koh Samui as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

How can you run with this headline and the following on the same day 😂😂

News Forum - International schools in Koh Samui where your kids can thrive

• Haha 1

Hopefully the children that are part of this particular situation will receive the love and support they need. I would encourage the parents of any children involved to first and foremost believe their children - small children do not lie about abuse. From there it is important to ensure the children are provided the necessary support to overcome this trauma, so parents should seek professional guidance. 

• Like 1

The International School of Samui aka ISS has done nothing in response, not even made any comments to us parents. On the other hand, I want to say thank you Police for taking this seriously. Makes me proud and grateful to live in Thailand. 

4 minutes ago, VEH said:

Makes me proud and grateful to live in Thailand. 

I followed you until you added the above. Why does the action of the police make you proud and grateful to live in Thailand?  Perhaps I’ve misunderstood what it is you are proud of? 

6 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I followed you until you added the above. Why does the action of the police make you proud and grateful to live in Thailand?  Perhaps I’ve misunderstood what it is you are proud of? 

Nothing about the RTP, or what they do, adds to my happiness of living here,  actually, quite the contrary, as they can't be trusted, ever. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Soidog said:

I’m proud to live in a country where this hasn’t been swept under the rug, like it would’ve been in my home country. Makes me feel if the same happened to my kids here, the police would investigate. Also makes me grateful because maybe this will deter other perpetrators. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, VEH said:

I’m proud to live in a country where this hasn’t been swept under the rug, like it would’ve been in my home country. Makes me feel if the same happened to my kids here, the police would investigate. Also makes me grateful because maybe this will deter other perpetrators. 

Sorry mate, but you are deluded and/or naïve, on both the numbers of incidents of child abuse, especially in rural parts, and the efficiency of the RTP in investigating the problem.  This is a very dangerous country and environment for young kids, especially girls. Most of what happens in rural parts, I need to add 'allegedly', is indeed covered up and swept under several thousand carpets.  How do I know, I have listened to the village people over many years and they do not have your level of trust or expectation. I have little doubt that the incidents we read about on the news reports are just the tip of the iceberg. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, VEH said:

For perspective, where is your home country?

I note you are new to the forum, so welcome to you! 

Not sure how long you have been visiting or living in Thailand. As you will have seen from some of the reaction, the Royal Thai Police are not something anyone, including themselves, should be proud of. Although the RTP may have shown an interest in the case, chances are it’s to see what cash they can make from it. If the person involved is powerful and connected, then it would have been swept under the carpet. If they have enough money to pay their way, then the police will happily install a fresh new carpet for this to be swept under. 

Im sure there are many countries where the Police are worse than in Thailand. But to call them Police really is pushing things. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pinetree said:

Sorry mate, but you are deluded and/or naïve, on both the numbers of incidents of child abuse, especially in rural parts, and the efficiency of the RTP in investigating the problem.  This is a very dangerous country and environment for young kids, especially girls. Most of what happens in rural parts, I need to add 'allegedly', is indeed covered up and swept under several thousand carpets.  How do I know, I have listened to the village people over many years and they do not have your level of trust or expectation. I have little doubt that the incidents we read about on the news reports are just the tip of the iceberg. 

Maybe you are right and maybe this is part of a much bigger problem, I don’t know, but at least they took action in this case. And maybe it’s part of a trend to crackdown ….

As a parent, I hope so! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VEH said:

Maybe you are right and maybe this is part of a much bigger problem, I don’t know, but at least they took action in this case. And maybe it’s part of a trend to crackdown ….

As a parent, I hope so! 

For you as a parent, I hope so too. History here suggests that any move in the right direction, be it in tackling child exploitation, under age sex workers, child trafficking, the sex industry generally and of course endemic corruption, moves with glacial slowness here. Thailand is not alone in this.  Cambodia is much worse, as is Columbia, Costa Rica, Haiti. Cuba, and many more hot spots around the World.  What I worry about is the determination and commitment here to stamping it out completely.  Maybe I'm being unfair, but there it is.  Having raised two daughters myself, the worries are very real for other families, like yours,  raising their young ones. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VEH said:

As a parent, I hope so! 

I wish you good luck and your children stay safe. I don’t have children in Thailand, but it was hard enough bringing up kids in the U.K. and Holland. I can’t imagine how I would worry if my teenage kid was out and about in Thailand. Keep an eye open for the local creepy monk or Uncle that suddenly shows an interest

• Thanks 1