News Forum - Phuket chosen as pilot province to promote organic tourism

Thaiger

The popular holiday resort of Phuket has been chosen as a pilot province to promote organic tourism. The Thai Organic Consumer Association (TOCA) revealed it wants to boost organic tourism in the province in an effort to connect hotels and consumers with farmers digitally and introduce incentive reward programmes. TOCA President Arrut Navaraj believes that information transparency would benefit everyone in the food chain, Bangkok Post reported. It would allow buyers to trace their products on the system and prevent exploitation and greenwashing. The TOCA platform is an e-commerce platform which helps farmers sell their products directly to consumers, such […]

The story Phuket chosen as pilot province to promote organic tourism as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I read this article and I’m straining every sinew in my body to be positive about it. What a great idea I thought. Then I start to read about traceability back to the farms. No doubt certificates and other documentation will be shown highlighting the organic credentials of the source of the foods. Then I ask how these certificates will be issued and by whom. Then I conclude it will be some official in an administration building. Then I think, oh dear. Corruption…..

Someone tell me I’m wrong. It’s 2023 and I want it be more positive about Thailand…..

• Like 1

Who in their right frame of mind could ever consider Phuket for "Organic Tourism"?

Obviously have no understanding of the term.

Sorry I forgot, it can be right next to the Mary J plantations in between that and an opium poppy plantation maybe.  HEY, all organic. 😂 

No need for tourist buses on long trips to wherever, keep it all local.

4 hours ago, Soidog said:

I read this article and I’m straining every sinew in my body to be positive about it. What a great idea I thought. Then I start to read about traceability back to the farms. No doubt certificates and other documentation will be shown highlighting the organic credentials of the source of the foods. Then I ask how these certificates will be issued and by whom. Then I conclude it will be some official in an administration building. Then I think, oh dear. Corruption…..

Someone tell me I’m wrong. It’s 2023 and I want it be more positive about Thailand…..

It can be done here and monitored adequately. Depends on what is accepted as organic certification as well. I am pretty versed in organic farms and suppliers here. There is one country wide certification supplied here called Organic Thailand but it has no legs in any other country except here. Some other smaller outfits sprung up snd are priced reasonably well for poorer Thai farmers to get, but stein have no legs anywhere but here and are not widely accepted by everyone buying organic stood.

Normal certification accepted is EU, Canadian, USA- NOP and Japan. But as all are good they still only are accepted in their own territory with an exception or two. 

Organic foods are also more expensive and get a higher premium, so this might be the stagnating point to true success as the end dish might just be too costly after higher price and transportation 

9 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thai Organic Consumer Association

The other issue I have with this, is how many people choose to go on holiday and make this a central theme of where to go? Maybe it’s a massive market, though my feelings are it’s a relatively small number? 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

The other issue I have with this, is how many people choose to go on holiday and make this a central theme of where to go? Maybe it’s a massive market, though my feelings are it’s a relatively small number? 

A small group of bourgeois bohemian hipster wankers 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Thai Organic Consumer Association (TOCA)

not to be confused with turf and ornamental communication association which is another TOCA ..