News Forum - CNN needs geography lesson after mistaking Taiwan for Thailand

Thaiger

United States-based news platform CNN needs a geography lesson after confusing Taiwan for Thailand, or more specifically, Taipei for Bangkok. The multinational cable news channel headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia, confused Thailand for Taiwan several times during their live broadcast countdown to New Year’s Day CNN Hong Kong reporter Kristie Lu Stout asked her Taiwan counterpart in Taipei, Will Ripley, how the celebrations were going in Thailand, which is one hour behind. On screen, the headline at 1.03am flashed “Thailand’s Capital Welcomes 2023” as the fireworks extravaganza at Taiwan’s Taipei 101 tower got underway. CNN gaff central followed that up at […]

The story CNN needs geography lesson after mistaking Taiwan for Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Why would anyone even write an article about this?

Seriously Bob. With all the things going on in the world right now this is what counts as news?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Poolie said:

I rest my case. Have a lovely day 😃

While we are discussing media reports how about you explain this.

• Like 2

Not only CNN but probably all news organizations have problems, but whomever put that stuff together and whomever did not catch it immediately needs to be relieved of their job along with their bosses.

Odd that this report comes from CCP controlled Hong Kong. Was CNN infiltrated by the CCP in order to create havoc of looking uneducated? Or is it a case as good help is hard to get nowadays?

But now looking at it is it yet just another article out out there by the CCP lover BS. don't figure does it!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Seriously Bob. With all the things going on in the world right now this is what counts as news?

Apparently to him it does, but then we all know who he is loyal to and whom he tries to talk bad about.

• Like 2

While we are criticising (think it’s called shaming now) news outlets. Can ThaigerTalk please do something about these pop-up adverts for women’s clothing from Revolve please. The girls are far far too sexy and beautiful and doing my blood pressure no good whatsoever. Apologies Moderators for the outcry of “Sexist” and “Misogynist” you will have to deal with now. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

At the end of the day (or rather month), the number of pageviews/level of engagement measured is paramount. 

There's no ambition in sight of delivering insightful, in-depth or even just original news (although 1.5 reporters ever so rarely seem to have a go at raising the bar by a fraction). Overall, the only ambition seems to be to increase the amount of time spent by viewers on ignoring advertisements and the chance of getting a bit higher in Google's ranking because of activity. 

Based on the law of triviality, the less meaningful an article is, the more people engage -- and that explains articles like this one. Once you accept that Thaiger is not a source for news but only for entertainment (it took me a while to reach that point), the silliness of it all becomes more bearable.

• Like 2

Just now, Soidog said:

While we are criticising (think it’s called shaming now) news outlets. Can ThaigerTalk please do something about these pop-up adverts for women’s clothing from Revolve please. The girls are far far too sexy and beautiful and doing my blood pressure no good whatsoever. Apologies Moderators for the outcry of “Sexist” and “Misogynist” you will have to deal with now. 

You're definitely getting old. 🤣

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, palooka said:

You're definitely getting old. 🤣

The prices are doing my blood pressure more harm than the women. You can buy sexy clothes for a few hundred baht. These Revolve lot want £250. 

The models are fantastic mind you 😜

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Soidog said:

The prices are doing my blood pressure more harm than the women. You can buy sexy clothes for a few hundred baht. These Revolve lot want £250. 

The models are fantastic mind you 😜

Wait. I just ordered a load of stuff from them. Are you saying the women are not included?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Wait. I just ordered a load of stuff from them. Are you saying the women are not included?

Maybe they are? If so, can you order two for me please? I’ll PM my credit card number 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Soidog said:

Maybe they are? If so, can you order two for me please? I’ll PM my credit card number 😉

I just read the small print.

I am very disappointed to say the least. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Thaiger said:

CNN needs a geography lesson after confusing Taiwan for Thailand,

They're not the only ones.

Thirty-five years ago, I sent a letter to Thailand. In the British post office I went to buy an airmail stamp.
The woman behind the counter weighed the letter, crossed out 'Thailand' and wrote 'Taiwan', telling me I'd misspelt it. I told her I hadn't, and the letter was going to Thailand.
Her reply? She said she'd never heard of it.
She then had to cross out 'Taiwan' and write 'Thailand'.

12 minutes ago, Faz said:

I wanted to buy a birthday present for my niece and asked for directions to 'Toyland'.
Been here almost 10 years now!

Did you ask a Brummie? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Marble-eye said:

Did you ask a Brummie? 😂

Of all the accents I've listened to, Brummies are by far the mst grating. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

They're not the only ones.

Thirty-five years ago, I sent a letter to Thailand. In the British post office I went to buy an airmail stamp.
The woman behind the counter weighed the letter, crossed out 'Thailand' and wrote 'Taiwan', telling me I'd misspelt it. I told her I hadn't, and the letter was going to Thailand.
Her reply? She said she'd never heard of it.
She then had to cross out 'Taiwan' and write 'Thailand'.

Just on a point of information there, the country had a few years earlier been known as Siam. I'm wondering if you had written "Siam", would the reaction have been different. I recall a Petula Clark record from 1960, which has a reference to "her sailor boyfriend" being in Siam.

And in the same vein, my wife once owned a Siamese Cat. Whenever I mentioned this to a Thai, they'd never heard of a Siamese cat.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

Just on a point of information there, the country had a few years earlier been known as Siam. I'm wondering if you had written "Siam", would the reaction have been different. I recall a Petula Clark record from 1960, which has a reference to "her sailor boyfriend" being in Siam.

And in the same vein, my wife once owned a Siamese Cat. Whenever I mentioned this to a Thai, they'd never heard of a Siamese cat.

Although Siam became Thailand in 1939, it's a fair point for the post office staff living in the past. 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluesofa said:

Although Siam became Thailand in 1939, it's a fair point for the post office staff living in the past. 🤣

I was looking at the history of the name change, and it reverted back to Siam between 1946-8. You know how the Brits are with name changes. It took a agood few years before they accepted that Burma was now called Myanmar.

19 minutes ago, JohninDublin said:

You know how the Brits are with name changes. It took a agood few years before they accepted that Burma was now called Myanmar.

That’s an oversimplification John if ever there was one. Take a read of this and you will see it is far far more complicated and nothing to do with some hangover from colonial days as you hint at.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Myanmar

You should also know the following:

The ruling military junta changed its name from Burma to Myanmar in 1989, a year after thousands were killed in the suppression of a popular uprising. Rangoon also became Yangon.

Both the US and U.K. attempted to show support for the local people by refusing to use the name chosen by the Junta. I’m sure that should the Junta ever be kicked out, the name would return to Burma very quickly. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Soidog said:

That’s an oversimplification John if ever there was one. Take a read of this and you will see it is far far more complicated and nothing to do with some hangover from colonial days as you hint at.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Myanmar

You should also know the following:

The ruling military junta changed its name from Burma to Myanmar in 1989, a year after thousands were killed in the suppression of a popular uprising. Rangoon also became Yangon.

Both the US and U.K. attempted to show support for the local people by refusing to use the name chosen by the Junta. I’m sure that should the Junta ever be kicked out, the name would return to Burma very quickly. 

No hint. Just my limited knowledge and recalling how long it took for Zimbabwe to replace Rhodesia among Brits.

Well, after studying geography for may be 6 years in school, and exposed to lots of information on the Internet the past 20 years, I still do not know if United Kingdom, Great Britain and England are the same......

Why?  Someone wrote "US and U.K." above.  But in some videos, when a person was asked which country he came from, he said England.  When talking about nationality, a person says he is British.

Edited by hwtg

2 hours ago, JohninDublin said:

No hint. Just my limited knowledge and recalling how long it took for Zimbabwe to replace Rhodesia among Brits.

Among which Brits? Someone you know or a personal survey that showed statistical evidence that it took the Brits time? Just sounds a little biased to me?