Phuket Sandbox growing with 33 airlines requesting flights

Thaiger

The Phuket Sandbox is slowly bringing international travellers back to Thailand, and while it’s had a few problems, signs indicate that confidence is growing in the scheme. With El Al, Emirates, Etihad, and Qatar Airways bringing in flights from the Middle East, Singapore Airlines connecting people in Southeast Asia, and Thai Airways operating 5 flights from Europe, international flights are trickling into Phuket International Airport. But now, 33 more airlines are reported to have requested to fly into Phuket in the coming months. In a press conference at Phuket Provincial Hall on Tuesday, the Phuket International Airport Deputy Manager mentioned […]

The post Phuket Sandbox growing with 33 airlines requesting flights appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Probably the claimed 33 airlines requested to fly into Phuket, and presumably out of also are all optimistic  medivac flight companies suspecting it could become the land of opportunity 

The official wouldn't give specific details of the airlines requesting to fly into Phuket.. but they are coming..

So is Christmas.. who believes this crap.. 33 airlines. Yeah sure..

Does Thaiager have journalists who can check these details or are you just writing what you think people want to read.  Don't turn into a Bangkok Post..Make some enquiries.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bobfran said:

The official wouldn't give specific details of the airlines requesting to fly into Phuket.. but they are coming..

So is Christmas.. who believes this crap.. 33 airlines. Yeah sure..

Does Thaiager have journalists who can check these details or are you just writing what you think people want to read.  Don't turn into a Bangkok Post..Make some enquiries.

Come on man, don't give them a hard time, they are doing their best to inform us of events and  it must be very time consuming for these guys to decide whether this should be posted in the News forum or whether posted in Jokes and Fun.

"Officials did not elaborate on the statement or give any details or hints about the identity of the 33 airlines that may be flying into Phuket soon. They also did not confirm what countries or regions the airlines are based or will be flying from."

Of cos, this is to instill confidence in the tourism market or just advance self-congratulation.

• Like 1

Well due to the slowness of Thai bureaucracy it would be prudent to apply now.

Plus it is better to have the permit and not need it, than need the permit and not have it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

Well due to the slowness of Thai bureaucracy it would be prudent to apply now.

Plus it is better to have the permit and not need it, than need the permit and not have it.

Taking a few educated guesses and extrapolating on Toby's post -

With airlines anticipating a return to semi-normality and a proposed October reopening of all Thailand, it is to be expected they will be seeking desirable 'slots' (landing permits) so they can schedule future flights.

Arrival slots, eg: middle of day, are sought after compared to late night which is not good for pax, crews or turnaround/operating costs. 

Preferred slots are worth mega-baht and often traded between airlines.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TobyAndrews said:

Is that right? Well I expect Thai agents will have snapped them all up by now and awaiting offers. lol

Very funny, doesn't quite work like that. :)   But this is Thailand ....

• Like 2

Absolute hogwash last week KLM, Air France were advertising flights via BKK now when you look no flights until October no info on transiting that route either BA selling Qatar flights and ultra expensive Thai airways offering nothing at all so why no list of all these carriers because there is none.

One of the many things I’ve never understood about the Thais when they come out with such obvious hogwash, relates to the precious Thai social convention of “Loss of face”. How is it that someone can come out with complete and utter nonsense. They know it’s nonsense and they also know everyone will know it is. So how is being found to be talking nonsense not loss of face? Is it because it’s only loss of face if someone points out you are talking nonsense and Thais won’t do that to each other as they know it will cause the other person to lose face? It’s utterly baffling and simply allows anyone to say anything without fear of contradiction or having it highlighted and called out? Is it any wonder nothing improves? 
I've only been living in Thailand most of the time for 15 years and visiting for many more. Perhaps another 1,000 more years and I may understand it better?

Sorry, this really isn’t meant to be Thai bashing l, it is a genuine question that is as mind splitting as trying to envisage an infinite universe  

Any help or insight would be appreciated. No nonsense please. I’m not Thai and hence I will be duty bound to tell you it’s nonsense!!  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Soidog said:

One of the many things I’ve never understood about the Thais when they come out with such obvious hogwash, relates to the precious Thai social convention of “Loss of face”. How is it that someone can come out with complete and utter nonsense. They know it’s nonsense and they also know everyone will know it is. So how is being found to be talking nonsense not loss of face? Is it because it’s only loss of face if someone points out you are talking nonsense and Thais won’t do that to each other as they know it will cause the other person to lose face? It’s utterly baffling and simply allows anyone to say anything without fear of contradiction or having it highlighted and called out? Is it any wonder nothing improves? 
I've only been living in Thailand most of the time for 15 years and visiting for many more. Perhaps another 1,000 more years and I may understand it better?

Sorry, this really isn’t meant to be Thai bashing l, it is a genuine question that is as mind splitting as trying to envisage an infinite universe  

Any help or insight would be appreciated. No nonsense please. I’m not Thai and hence I will be duty bound to tell you it’s nonsense!!  

You're looking at it backwards. Saving face is not something you do for yourself, it's a gift you give to others. Like the emperor's new clothes. In a feudal society credit flows up and blame flows down. So, if somebody says: "We've had 33 airlines apply to fly into Phuket" The renowned, expert, general, professor, administrator, whatever, gets the credit and when it doesn't pan out somebody further down the food chain takes the blame. A person in power in Thailand never has to throw somebody under the bus as that somebody will happily jump.

If you ever get the chance watch a business lunch in Thailand. Makes me want to go over and slap some sense into these people.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JamesE said:

You're looking at it backwards. Saving face is not something you do for yourself, it's a gift you give to others. Like the emperor's new clothes. In a feudal society credit flows up and blame flows down. So, if somebody says: "We've had 33 airlines apply to fly into Phuket" The renowned, expert, general, professor, administrator, whatever, gets the credit and when it doesn't pan out somebody further down the food chain takes the blame. A person in power in Thailand never has to throw somebody under the bus as that somebody will happily jump.

If you ever get the chance watch a business lunch in Thailand. Makes me want to go over and slap some sense into these people.

Thanks for the explanation JamesE. I follow the flow of what you say, but that just makes my head hurt even more!! It’s almost impossible for most people to comprehend taking the blame for something unless they are a close loved one. Let alone taking the blame for something which you yourself know to be a crazy comment in the first place. Fascinating …..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

555 That photo on this article is exactly what TAT would like us all to think

Just like early on when they said the rich Chinese would flock there....

The useless face saving concept will be the demise of LOS..and the internet exposing the truths of it

TAT reminds me of standing on the shores trying to push back waves as we all sit on the beach and watch

Their world views and mindsets seem to stop when you reach any thai border aka the bubble world

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Agreed--  Face---a useless concept embraced by thais that serves no purpose aside from delicate egos.

Same as when a thai says you no understand! I ask then to explain it and I get the 1000 mile stare.....smh

12 hours ago, kmc said:

wearing a mask on vacation and paying 300usd for testing sounds fun

"“It’s crooked, but it’s the only game in town”

For months now I've been looking for a for a holiday spot where the climate is warm, the risks are low and I don't have to spend the first two weeks of my trip, confined to  hotel or when I get home. I only have to wear a mask under certain circumstances. I've been cooped up in the house for 15 months now. If an extra $300 is the extra that I have to pay, to change my surroundings, then I can live with. Right now, as far as my criteria is concerned, Phuket is the only game in town, even if it is crooked.

Edited by JohninDubin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

My experience based on about 30 trips to East Asia, is that "saving face" is hardwired into the brains of many E. Asians.

6 minutes ago, JohninDubin said:

"“It’s crooked, but it’s the only game in town”

For months now I've been looking for a for a holiday spot where the climate is warm, the risks are low and I don't have to spend the first two weeks of my trip, confined to  hotel or when I get home. I only have to wear a mask under certain circumstances. I've been cooped up in the house for 15 months now. If an extra $300 is the extra that I have to pay, to change my surroundings, then I can live with. Right now, as far as my criteria is concerned, Phuket is the only game in town, even if it is crooked.

It depends where you are now and what it is you are looking for. It also depends on what your vaccination system is. I’m assuming you have had two shots of a vaccine? 

1 minute ago, JohninDubin said:

My experience based on about 30 trips to East Asia, is that "saving face" is hardwired into the brains of many E. Asians.

Agreed. But I’ve never had anyone adequately explain it to me. Asian kids must either be shown it, taught it, or experiance the effects of not observing it correctly. You would therefore think it was a well understood and documented human emotion?  If someone asked me to explain to a foreigner the emotion of embarrassment or guilt or sense of duty, I reckon I’d have a good go at it. Over the years I’ve asked many people to explain it and it’s never happened. Maybe a topic worthy of its own thread?  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Soidog said:

It depends where you are now and what it is you are looking for. It also depends on what your vaccination system is. I’m assuming you have had two shots of a vaccine? 

I am in Ireland. As I said, all I want is warm weather, low risk and no extended quarantine home or away. I've had my second shot, but the 14 day qualifying time for AZ ends July 15th.

I'm booked to land in Phuket Aug 5th. It should have been the 4th but I would have had to transit through LHR, and the way the infection rate is there at the moment (1500% increase to 30k new infections daily in past ten weeks) , I anticipate the possibility that the UK might be redlisted.

Not complaining about the rules, but it seems ironic that you can fly to direct to Phuket from London, where the infection rate is 4 times worse than in Thailand, but you can't fly direct from BKK or vice versa without  doing 14 days quarantine.

Edited by JohninDubin
additional comment

6 hours ago, JamesE said:

Same applies at community meetings I've attended, lot's of talk and no action.  Everyone promotes their achievements and ignores the real issues which require attention.  Even the wife, well educated with extensive International travel, defends the face-saving nature of other Thai's we encounter despite knowing we're being told a load of hogwash.  Her backside often gets a slapping :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

You have your chance with the PM heading the CCSA meeting today. Guaranteed to go over lunch, as lots to argue about. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AdvocatusDiaboli said:

You have your chance with the PM heading the CCSA meeting today. Guaranteed to go over lunch, as lots to argue about. 

please bring me along. 

5 hours ago, KaptainRob said:

Same applies at community meetings I've attended, lot's of talk and no action.  Everyone promotes their achievements and ignores the real issues which require attention.  Even the wife, well educated with extensive International travel, defends the face-saving nature of other Thai's we encounter despite knowing we're being told a load of hogwash.  Her backside often gets a slapping :)

My wife too often got her backside slapped but I stopped it when she started enjoying it too much

Edited by gummy