News Forum - Bridge connecting Koh Samui to mainland Thailand to open in 2029

Thaiger

Travelling to Koh Samui from mainland Thailand will be cheaper and more convenient in the future once a bridge connecting the island to Khanom in Nakhon Si Thammarat province reaches completion. The bridge is expected to open for service in 2029. Consulting companies are currently bidding on taking on the huge project which is estimated to cost 25 billion baht. The winner will be chosen in April 2023. The Koh Samui – Khanom bridge was approved by transport minister Saksayam Chidchop back in July this year. The chosen company will have one year to study the feasibility of the project and […]

The story Bridge connecting Koh Samui to mainland Thailand to open in 2029 as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"Initially, we will go to the area and take a survey and listen to the opinions of local people" - seriously?

This will be an eco-disaster for the island and for the seas around the island. Quite apart from assessing the possibility of a bridge, they need to seriously look at the effect it will have on the island in the years to come. Essentially it will reduce it to a sterile lump of concrete in the Gulf. It will also make for civil contractors incredibly rich........ and the repair and rebuilding contracts for years to come.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Soidog said:

What is the business case for this monstrosity of a plan? How will this aid tourism? How will it help the local economies either end of the bridge? 

Like so many projects in Thailand, they aren't decided on scientific principles but by dictum. The thinking of successive governments is unrestrained by common sense and reminiscent of the post war development of the uS in the 1940s and 50s.

Thinking is limited and totally out of date.....what the consequences are for the island will be, don't seem to play any part in this scheme. It's all about face over function.

• Like 1

I'm not the anti bridge type. A bridge does not mean suddenly way more visitors. Ferries are more dangerous and aren't an ecological cream puff either.

At 17 km , the bridge would be about the 44th longest in the world. Pretty big undertaking for Thailand. This has cost and time overruns written all over it. But it will be good when it's done 

6 hours ago, socal said:

I'm not the anti bridge type. A bridge does not mean suddenly way more visitors. Ferries are more dangerous and aren't an ecological cream puff either.

At 17 km , the bridge would be about the 44th longest in the world. Pretty big undertaking for Thailand. This has cost and time overruns written all over it. But it will be good when it's done 

I agree that the ferries are not very "green" - they need to be updated. How dangerous the bridge may be depends on it's construction and behaviour in various weather conditions..... road design in Thailand is VERY rudimentary.

I'd like to know what evidence you use to conclude the traffic won't increase - the authorities cite increased tourism as one off the min reasons for building the bridge - certainly don't cite any environmental benefits.

It is proven that all new roads increase traffic and at resent on Samui this will mean more fossil fuels being burnt and of course more loading on the infrastructure.

There is at present very little research into the effects of the bridge - both economically and environmentally. 

One could look at other examples around the world? - This is something that Thailand famously doesn't do as they seem to prefer dictum over digging up evidence..

7 minutes ago, cowslip said:

One could look at other examples around the world? - This is something that Thailand famously doesn't do as they seem to prefer dictum over digging up evidence..

Good response @cowslip and I was particularly drawn to the above. Always amazes me why Thailand doesn’t look to other countries for best practice. They don’t have turn to those alien looking, dangerous ghosts in western countries. Go and visit Japan, Taiwan, Singapore or South Korea. They will show you how to build better infrastructure or how to reduce road fatalities. They can even give you good advice in ending corruption. Never seems to happen. Let’s fumble and stumble along for another 100 years.

This proposed bridge is yet another example of a vanity project for someone who wants the bridge named after him. Now I wonder who that could be 🤔🤔

18 minutes ago, socal said:

Why build bridges anywhere ever. Its all just bs. sure

Well I guess connections from Manhattan with many bridges was a good move. I take your point about ultra long bridges mind you. Maybe different in places like Denmark, but not beautiful Thai islands. 

13 hours ago, Soidog said:

Good response @cowslip and I was particularly drawn to the above. Always amazes me why Thailand doesn’t look to other countries for best practice. They don’t have turn to those alien looking, dangerous ghosts in western countries. Go and visit Japan, Taiwan, Singapore or South Korea. They will show you how to build better infrastructure or how to reduce road fatalities. They can even give you good advice in ending corruption. Never seems to happen. Let’s fumble and stumble along for another 100 years.

This proposed bridge is yet another example of a vanity project for someone who wants the bridge named after him. Now I wonder who that could be 🤔🤔

We don't have time to go to other countries... we are working on the "wheel design" at the moment

• Haha 1

Why the government believes that building physical bridges is a good thing is beyond me.  They built one from Koh Lanta Noi to Koh Lanta Yai...while convenient if you happen to be visiting hasn't increased tourism one iota.

Now they are talking about one that snakes up the west coast and a ridiculous one traversing Lake Songkhla North and South. 

Someone with a construction company(s) must be lining the pockets of politicians.

To the other reactors to this article: You don't really believe that Thailand has either the money or technical competence to build a 10 mile long bridge do you?!

Then, as others have said, it will be an ecological nightmare, and probably an end to the serenity of Koh Samui!

Being where it is and having to take a ferry to get there has been a massive part of its getaway charm. If you make it easy to get to, then Koh Samui will be swamped by more tourists (at first) and filled with traffic, and then, as always, it will die a death because it not longer offers the seclusion it once had!

Better to invest in a few electric ferries for the island, plus the other islands around Thailand.

That would be a more logical step forward - in my opinion.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UncleFatBloke said:

You don't really believe that Thailand has either the money or technical competence to build a 10 mile long bridge do you?!

They don't,  but the Chinese and Japanese have both. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrStretch said:

while convenient if you happen to be visiting hasn't increased tourism one iota.

I don't know how you come to that conclusion. Koh Lanta, what used to be an idyllic backwater has become an urban sprawl in the last 10 years with a massive road building program which includes the bridges - both built and planned. covid almost shut the island down completely but in 2019 over 300, 000 tourists visited the island.

Te formula is simple and scientifically recognised - build roads (and bridges) and you increase traffic.

• 4 weeks later...

The high air fares are due to the monopoly that Bangkok Air has on air travel to and from Samui. Traffic is ridiculous as it is. I can't see a bridge helping in that regard.

Edited by GalaxyMan
Additional comment