News Forum - Downhill cycling banned in Doi Inthanon National Park

Thaiger

Fearing a string of preventable injuries and deaths, authorities have banned all downhill cycling in the mountainous Doi Inthanon National Park. The park, located in the Chom Thong district of Chiang Mai province, is popular for its scenic nature and picturesque mountains. But slippery roads and dangerous driving conditions have the potential for deadly accidents for those riding their bicycles down the sometimes steep hills. The chief of the park is taking no risks with the lives and safety of cyclists who visit Doi Inthanon this winter season. Not only did they ban downhill cycling for fear of slippery roads, […]

The story Downhill cycling banned in Doi Inthanon National Park as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Having made the trip once by bike, you would have to have a death wish to attempt to cycle down the mountain. The 3kms closest to the summit are particularly treacherous. The gradient is such that getting going again after pause at this point is problematic.

On 12/27/2022 at 7:14 AM, Thaiger said:

authorities have banned all downhill cycling in the mountainous Doi Inthanon National Park.

Imagine if they done skiing there .. 

I was there 2 days ago but driving my car. I call this a bunch of overboard nonsense control by someone who should be relieved of making any decisions and his job. Leave it up to the people not sone self centered control freak. Yes it is a hill and grade but so what! 
oh, but why doesn’t he also outlaw motorcycles? On our way down a guy and girl foreigner crashed their scooter. Guys leg looked pretty shredded from the foot to the knee and he certainly isn’t feeling too good today and did not ride the bike away, but he took the risk and inexperience of riding did him in. Not sure of the gal as couldn’t see much of her injury, and maybe there could have been some broken bones, but they are alive. I wouldn’t even think twice about not riding a bike or motorcycle on any mountain here.