News Forum - Alcohol banned from festive gift baskets in Thailand

Thaiger

Pre-made gift baskets are a hit in Thailand for all special occasions and are especially popular around the Christmas and New Year holidays. But the Ministry of Commerce would like to remind the country’s merchants that selling alcohol as part of a gift set is against the law in Thailand. Anyone who fails to comply with the law will face imprisonment of up to six months and a fine of up to 10,000 baht. Since 2008, the Thai Health Promotion Foundation and the Stop Drink Network Organisation (SDN Thailand) have run a campaign entitled “Giving Liquor = Curse” (ให้เหล้า = […]

The story Alcohol banned from festive gift baskets in Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This is one thing wrong with these uppity people, as in they should get their noses out of every ones business as they have zero right to take it that far as something so stupid. So what happens if I buy an empty basket and add some snacks and a nice bottle of wine and scotch to it? Illegal as it looks.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

This is one thing wrong with these uppity people, as in they should get their noses out of every ones business as they have zero right to take it that far as something so stupid. So what happens if I buy an empty basket and add some snacks and a nice bottle of wine and scotch to it? Illegal as it looks.

Doesn't apply to personal gift baskets ... let me know when you're dropping by 🤪

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Doesn't apply to personal gift baskets ... let me know when you're dropping by 🤪

Article quote: Of course, buying alcohol and presenting it to someone as a gift is not illegal in and of itself. Only if it comes in basket form packed with other goodies. According to Section 30 of the Alcohol Control Act (2008), anyone who offers a gift basket containing alcohol will be imprisoned for up to six months and fined 10,000 baht.

You sure about that?

Anyway I might actually also add some cigars, so in order to not upset your better half, it is probably best to refrain from sending you one. 🤡

But good wine and scotch is what makes the world go round sometimes. With a good cigar ofcourse.  : )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1