News Forum - E-visas now available in 38 cities, 23 countries

Thaiger

Travelling to Thailand just got a little bit easier. E-visa services have now been launched at the Royal Thai Embassy and Consulates-General in 23 different countries. A total of 38 cities around the world are now able to process applications and grant electronic visas for people to enter Thailand. The service is available in 19 countries throughout Europe, as well as in the United States, Canada, China, and South Korea. Applicants will be able to apply through these embassies or consulates online through a special e-visa website. Many different types of visas are available as e-visas. The most common are […]

The story E-visas now available in 38 cities, 23 countries as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This article doesn't really make much sense.  The evisa isn't approved at the consulate or embassy level.  There is one website to apply, so we can assume that the MoFA, in Bangkok is the one doing the evaluations and approvals.  There isn't a separate website for people applying from Spain, or England or Australia.  It's all the same website.

The only geographic restrictions are for those people who MUST apply in their home country, in person, at an embassy or consulate.

3 hours ago, yselmike said:

They definitely need to simplify the process for the simple 60 day tourist visa.

Agreed. Not least of which is having to show proof of your flight before even receiving the visa. Then there’s the picture of your passport page and another of you holding the same passport plus a picture of you. For heavens sake. 

• Angry 1

I give the system a lot of (deserved) crap, but will give credit where credit is due.  For the second time i did my visa application online this year (preparing for our return early next year) and it was simple, straight forward, and easy.  The hardest part was the code thingy you need to read and type out to show you are a human when logging in, many are hard to read.  But the system itself works great and this year I was approved same day as we applied (New York consulate).   They have clearly labeled spots to upload exactly what they are looking for and since we had most of the information on hand it only took about 30 minutes all in.  

Hopefully they expand this to the visa extension at some point.  

45 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Agreed. Not least of which is having to show proof of your flight before even receiving the visa. Then there’s the picture of your passport page and another of you holding the same passport plus a picture of you. For heavens sake. 

yes they ask for way too much and some of what they ask for is just plain ridiculous, but I also was able to do it in 30mins from my desk

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

yes they ask for way too much and some of what they ask for is just plain ridiculous, but I also was able to do it in 30mins from my desk

Yea it’s a great improvement on having to mess about visiting an embassy or consulate. Plus it doesn’t take a whole page out of your passport for the visa.  

11 hours ago, MrStretch said:

This article doesn't really make much sense.  The evisa isn't approved at the consulate or embassy level.  There is one website to apply, so we can assume that the MoFA, in Bangkok is the one doing the evaluations and approvals.  There isn't a separate website for people applying from Spain, or England or Australia.  It's all the same website.

Think of the online 90-day reporting, one website, but the system filters reports to individual Immigration offices to approve and issue your next report date.
Same with the online e-visa (smart) system. Applications are filtered to the respective Thai Embassies to approve and issue the visa by electronic mail (stickerless visas).

Australia doesn't as yet use the online e-visa system.

13 hours ago, Marc26 said:

If I had a PC I might give it ago but from a phone?

8 hours ago, yselmike said:

If I had a PC I might give it ago but from a phone?

Phone would be a nightmare I'd imagine and I am one to do most things by phone

But saving and attaching all the documents would be tough on a phone, I'd imagine

It seems there is only one E-visa web site - so I don't understand the naming of so many different countries as offering the service. The Thai London embassy site appears to have no mention of visas of any kind at all!!

On 12/14/2022 at 3:33 AM, cowslip said:

It seems there is only one E-visa web site - so I don't understand the naming of so many different countries as offering the service. The Thai London embassy site appears to have no mention of visas of any kind at all!!

Hope this helps:

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/cate-7742-visa-consular-services?menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

• Like 1

This link takes you to the E-visa process page.
https://image.mfa.go.th/mfa/0/umufy3EgqL/Stickerless_E-visa/Guideline_to_Thailand_E-Visa_Application.pdf

The first time around takes a little longer as you need to set up an account and verify it via email. Then you need to take a few pictures of your passport biometric page and yourself. These of course are available on your computer for the next time.

Once you have done the above the rest is showing proof of travel out of Thailand and proof of income. This of course requires you to photograph the documents or convert to a JPEG format. Proof of income can take a little while as you need a copy of bank statement or whatever annual income document you may receive from your employer or pension. 

Anyone who is use to using a computer and similar websites will have it all completed within 30 mins the first time around and perhaps as little as 15 mins for future applications. 

When I used it there were a few minor issues. For example, you could only upload one document showing your flights. I uploaded my return flight to Amsterdam but this was beyond 60 days, which was my visa application. I then attempted to upload my return flight to KL within that 60 day period and I was unable to do so. This may have been corrected now?

Overall, I’d score the site 5/10 for ease of use. I’ve certainly come across a lot worse.

Someone asked if they could do it on their phone. I haven’t tried it but I think it would prove even more tricky. Maybe not impossible but certainly far harder. The same would go for using an iPad. This site looks like it is designed for use on a PC or Mac and not optimised for mobile devices. A tailored “App” for mobile devices would be the next step.  

Even if it takes 2 hours, it’s still a lot quicker and more convenient then travelling to an Embassy with all the documents you will have had to print off anyway. 

On 12/14/2022 at 3:40 PM, cowslip said:

well? - What else do they want?

The following screen shot is from the embassy in The Hague. The requirements are basically the same as the U.K.  if memory serves me right you also need to show proof of where you are staying. So again, if you plan on staying in a hotel, then you need to book this in advance. This is where it becomes a little vague. Many people in a 60 day tourist visa would not book the entire two months. I’m assuming they simply want evidence of where your first hotel is. It should make this clear but of course it doesn’t. 

The only additional item I can see here beyond that of the U.K. is item 8. I don’t recall having to do this.

BBC55A65-C3A7-48FB-B536-B51AEA84CB98.jpeg

https://hague.thaiembassy.org/th/publicservice/e-visa-categories-fee-and-required-documents 

Edited by Faz
inserted url

5 hours ago, Soidog said:

The following screen shot is from the embassy in The Hague. The requirements are basically the same as the U.K.  if memory serves me right you also need to show proof of where you are staying. So again, if you plan on staying in a hotel, then you need to book this in advance. This is where it becomes a little vague. Many people in a 60 day tourist visa would not book the entire two months. I’m assuming they simply want evidence of where your first hotel is. It should make this clear but of course it doesn’t. 

The only additional item I can see here beyond that of the U.K. is item 8. I don’t recall having to do this.

BBC55A65-C3A7-48FB-B536-B51AEA84CB98.jpeg

Nuff said.

On 12/12/2022 at 10:23 PM, MrNovax said:

I give the system a lot of (deserved) crap, but will give credit where credit is due.  For the second time i did my visa application online this year (preparing for our return early next year) and it was simple, straight forward, and easy.  The hardest part was the code thingy you need to read and type out to show you are a human when logging in, many are hard to read.  But the system itself works great and this year I was approved same day as we applied (New York consulate).   They have clearly labeled spots to upload exactly what they are looking for and since we had most of the information on hand it only took about 30 minutes all in.  

Hopefully they expand this to the visa extension at some point.  

How is it for passing immigration in BKK?

I saw long lines near a counter marked e-visa close to normal immigration in BKK.

3 hours ago, Alavan said:

I saw long lines near a counter marked e-visa close to normal immigration in BKK.

I just went to a normal check point back in August. I didn’t see a sign directing E-visa holders to a particular spot at that time. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alavan said:

Im not sure i understand the question. 

I apply each year through the New York consulate and typically do a 60 day extension while we are in Thailand.  Im only in Thailand 3-6 months per year.  

On 12/15/2022 at 12:33 PM, Alavan said:

The long queue lines are usually for those entering VOA, who can apply online beforehand.
Those who don't apply online just create the queue whilst they apply on entry.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MrNovax said:

Im not sure i understand the question. 

I apply each year through the New York consulate and typically do a 60 day extension while we are in Thailand.  Im only in Thailand 3-6 months per year.  

How do you get a 60 day extension? I thought you could only get a 30 day extension? Perhaps it’s different for US citizens? 

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

How do you get a 60 day extension? I thought you could only get a 30 day extension? Perhaps it’s different for US citizens? 

You can apply for a 60-day extension to visit Thai spouse/family under section 2.24
327-2557 (2014) - Criteria for extension ENG.pdf 

2.24 In the case of visiting a spouse or children who are of Thai nationality:
Permission shall be granted for one time and no more than 60 days.

(1) There must be proof of relationship.
(2) In the case of spouse, the relationship must be de jure and de facto. 

Edited by Faz
Typo
  • Like 2