News Forum - VIDEO: Thieves mess with the wrong gold shop owner in northern Thailand

Thaiger

Four thieves attempted to rob a gold shop at gunpoint yesterday in Mueang district of Tak province in northern Thailand. Turns out the gold shop owner is a shooting competition champion. At 12.55pm, a gang of thieves shot through Yaowarat gold shop’s glass shopfront and let themselves in. As one of the robbers tried to cut through the steel bars with a grinding wheel, 41 year old shop owner Phisit Raphitphan fired one gunshot, causing the thieves to flee the scene empty-handed. One of them slipped on the broken glass. Phisit fired four more shots. The final shot hit one […]

The story VIDEO: Thieves mess with the wrong gold shop owner in northern Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

The five shots fired by Phisit were in self-protection, said Decha.

I like the outcome for the wanna be robbers, but : After the first shot they were fleeing.

Shot 2, 3 and 4 cracked the glass, but shot 5, which hit the guy on the bike, was not even close to self protection! But that shop might be safe, in the future

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, palooka said:

Hope he is better in competition than in this case. 5 shots one hit.

One in the roof, 3 to crack the glass, 1 to hit the guy.

That is ok, methinks. Question  is why the glas of the door was "done" with one, but the window needed 3or4. Insurance should be interested in it.

• Like 1

Just now, Guest1 said:

One in the roof, 3 to crack the glass, 1 to hit the guy.

That is ok, methinks. Question  is why the glas of the door was "done" with one, but the window needed 3or4. Insurance should be interested in it.

re doors: the more multiples of lamination the heavier the door, probably need to lift weights and be on steroids to open the door otherwise. Hence the steel security screens.

3 to crack the glass, laminated security glass as opposed to a .22-calibre weapon maybe, .357 maybe could go through one shot.

Maybe a wise choice .22, low calibre weapon, reduces the risk of serious injury but disables.

Weird laws in Thailand he would probably have to pay heaps if he killed one of them.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Famous lawyer Decha Kittiwittayanan said that Phisit’s use of a shotgun was a legitimate use of his rights because the assailants attempted to steal his gold at gunpoint. The five shots fired by Phisit were in self-protection, said Decha.

What was the gun pointing at? The few facts presented in the article claim it was at the window (in order to break it). Assuming nothing major was left out, that means just a window was temporarily at gunpoint. After successfully braking it, they next tried to cut through the steel bars, at which point the business owner fired his 1st shot.

Even if the owner wasn't at gunpoint, his 1st shot makes sense to be qualified as self-defense (albeit indirectly): protection of one's possessions can ultimately amount to the same thing as protection of oneself -- and even if he could well-afford the loss of some inventory, there's still the axiom (very roughly and at the risk of sounding naïve) that all people have the same rights. 

The subsequent shots fired by the owner at the potential robbers -- while in flight -- have so little to do with self-defense as to discount them from qualifying as such. 

But I guess any of the above is any lawyer's tactic: mention gunpoint (but leave out that it was directed at a window), convince people of the validity of 1 fact, phrase it in the context of 5 facts, and let it dilute into those other 4 facts in the minds of the judge/jury (BTW: lawyers don't have a monopoly on that tactic).

Edited by Chatogaster

"Famous lawyer Decha Kittiwittayanan said that Phisit’s use of a shotgun was a legitimate use of his rights because the assailants attempted to steal his gold at gunpoint. The five shots fired by Phisit were in self-protection, said Decha." 

Ya, Leah, I am sure his" gold" is precious. What do you expect. 😆

I know direct translation is a bane for humor. You should just say, the thieves try to rob the stole of it's precious jewelleries. I am sure Saturday Night Life can do this banter. And you'd see me cracking up the whole night. 

If there are robbers breaking your glass door, taking two angler grinders to break the steel barrier, I would have done the same. Instead it would be better to have a semi-automatic rifle and shoot the whole lot and empty the magazine. The robbers deserve it.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 12:33 PM, Guest1 said:

But that shop might be safe, in the future

And that's the point. Assuming he doesn't get sentenced to jail (which would be ludicrous) then I doubt anyone would ever attempt robbing his store again. It's actually surprising there isn't 24/7 security for shops like this, or maybe he thought he was the security? lol

2 hours ago, Pinga said:

And that's the point. Assuming he doesn't get sentenced to jail (which would be ludicrous) then I doubt anyone would ever attempt robbing his store again. It's actually surprising there isn't 24/7 security for shops like this, or maybe he thought he was the security? lol

In Malaysia they have "gunman" legally sitting in gold shops. Even in indoor, busy shopping malls. In Singapore, they scrapped that, some time ago.

21 hours ago, Guest1 said:

In Malaysia they have "gunman" legally sitting in gold shops. Even in indoor, busy shopping malls. In Singapore, they scrapped that, some time ago.

In Manila, there are security that carries shot guns screening everyone before going in. Also Securities with shot guns are guarding the banks and some high profile shops like jewellery shops.