News Forum - Dengue fever in Thailand: How the zebra-striped mosquito wreaks havoc on residents

Thaiger

We have all heard that mosquitoes are the most dangerous creature to encounter. But, what kind of havoc does a tiny, zebra-striped mosquito in Thailand (and other sub-tropical areas) actually wreak on humans? Well, the answer is the widely-feared Dengue or DENV virus. As it comes in four lovely serotypes, the virus that is transmitted by the Aedes Aegypti mosquito can actually kill you. But, not to worry, as many who are infected usually are asymptomatic.  The four serotypes of DENV include DENV-1, DENV-2, DENV-3, and DENV-4. According to the World Health Organisation, if you are bitten by one of […]

The story Dengue fever in Thailand: How the zebra-striped mosquito wreaks havoc on residents as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Not fun getting dengue.  I got it in 2018 in a province north of Manila, Philippines and ended up in a provincial government hospital that was antiquated and was told there was no treatment or medication.  They just hooked me up to a saline solution IV and I laid in bed for 4 days & 3 nights. I had a high fever for the 1st 3 days, but did not have the nausea as I did not eat for 3 days. I was released on day #4 and already had plans and a plane ticket to attend a wedding here in Thailand.  I stopped in Bumrungrad Hospital on arrival to Thailand and was checked out.  I don’t have a medical background, but my red blood cell count was very low and told me not to travel and to come in daily for blood tests.  My understanding I had plasma leakage.  The next morning I awakened from my sleep (I was censored and had to change the bold italics word before I can post because not allowed???) and my skin on my whole body was red like I laid outside nude and got sunburn so I was freaking out. The doctor at Bumrungrad told me it was one of the stages and told me not to travel, gave me a list of food items to help restore my red blood cell count, come in daily for blood tests, and that my skin would return to normal color.  Did this for a week before my numbers were in the normal range.  Needless to say I missed the wedding I came over to attend.  Reading this article it seems like they know more info on dengue which has four types and I don’t know if they knew what type when I got blood tests in the Philippines and later here in Bangkok. I didn’t die so probably not the worst strain, but whatever I had I never want to go through the symptoms again. 

• Thanks 1