Phuket Tourist Police announce taxi fares, ask travellers to report rip-offs

Thaiger

Following criticism and confusion over the notoriously high taxi prices in Phuket, particularly relating to those arriving in Thailand under the “Sandbox” reopening scheme, the Phuket Tourist Police have announced the maximum taxi fares from the Phuket International Airport to popular destinations on the island province. For a ride in a 4-seater taxi from the airport, the driver can charge up to 1,000 baht depending on the location. To Surin, which is around 22 kilometres from the airport, a driver can charge up to 550 baht. To Katu, on the southern tip of the island, around 46 kilometres from the […]

The post Phuket Tourist Police announce taxi fares, ask travellers to report rip-offs appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• 6 months later...

thailand seems to become a really expensive place...i remember before the pandemic i could cross bkk with no more than 300 bhat with taxi..

maybe they raised the prices to make up for past loss...not a good signal...

nobody will go there if he need to pay up to 1000 bhat for short ride...

On 7/7/2021 at 12:44 PM, Thaiger said:

Following criticism and confusion over the notoriously high taxi prices in Phuket, particularly relating to those arriving in Thailand under the “Sandbox” reopening scheme, the Phuket Tourist Police have announced the maximum taxi fares from the Phuket International Airport to popular destinations on the island province. For a ride in a 4-seater taxi from the airport, the driver can charge up to 1,000 baht depending on the location. To Surin, which is around 22 kilometres from the airport, a driver can charge up to 550 baht. To Katu, on the southern tip of the island, around 46 kilometres from the […]

Whats the point? Phuket Tourist Polish so full of shit. 

For a 38km trip on Monday morning this week I paid the equivlent of 2000 baht (90AUD) here in Melbourne.

Maybe phuket is not realy that bad from a western perspective

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Thommo said:

For a 38km trip on Monday morning this week I paid the equivlent of 2000 baht (90AUD) here in Melbourne.

Maybe phuket is not realy that bad from a western perspective

Certainly its expensive when compared to say Isaan, or somewhere but not compared to other countries. Have you taken a black cab in London for instance? Eyewatering.

On 7/7/2021 at 1:33 PM, AlexPTY said:

i never used taxi since Grab appeared in Thailand, never been hustled since 

I too like grab. Particularly when I need longer rides (and don't want to deal with refusals on the street). But I will say this..  it's not cheaper than a hailed taxi if they use the meter. I've been to Don Mueang a few times using both methods, and Grab is always more expensive. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Poolie said:

Have you taken a black cab in London for instance? Eyewatering.

I love it! Always this stupid comments and comparisons with western prices.

If you wanna compare, then compare it to the factor, taxis on Phuket are more expensive, as in the capitol, Bangkok.

How would you feel, if your taxi in a holiday destination in England would cost you 2-3times that, of a black cab in London?

In case You missed it, it was a Thai, who complained about it! London prices have no relevance, in Thailand, anyway 

Aside that these prices are even used for this tin cans, called TukTuk on Phuket

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Cabra said:

I too like grab. Particularly when I need longer rides (and don't want to deal with refusals on the street). But I will say this..  it's not cheaper than a hailed taxi if they use the meter. I've been to Don Mueang a few times using both methods, and Grab is always more expensive. 

So there is a topic about Phuket taxis, and people talking about meters in Bangkok?

Anyone if the "I have Bangkok taxi experience, not so bad" posters has been to Phuket and updated his taxi experience here?

1.Meters have only to be used from the airport, not to the airport. They can, but they dont have to. Aside that the territorial driver groups are often making it difficult, to wink one down or ordering one to the hotel

2. They even refuse that (from Airport) often, b/c even if they get more, for the same distance as in BKK, the "chartered" price is even  more lucrative for the drivers.

In Bangkok it works, b/c lots of Thai people in Bangkok using Taxis. I drive taxi, in Bangkok. In Phuket? I rather would walk 2 km! Not even the moto taxis would be a alternative. Best price with them is half the TukTuk rate, for foreigners. Mostly. 

In Phuket, however, the majority of taxi rides are with minimum one Foreigner involved.

Or, in case that not, like in the past 18 month, the prices would settle a bit down. Just since opening, there is the try, to make up for 18 month of low/no income

6 minutes ago, Guest1 said:

So there is a topic about Phuket taxis, and people talking about meters in Bangkok?

Geez sorry. Someone mentioned Grab (and it wasn't even you), so I was commenting on Grab vs. hailed taxis. Why are you getting your panties all in a bunch 🤣 #selfappointedforumpolice 🙄 I get it, I see the news reports, taxis in Phuket suck, apparently more than most other places, for a number of different reasons. So try Grab. The fact this acticle is talking about police offering to help if you are a victim, probably won't help much, but it can't hurt more. 

13 minutes ago, Cabra said:

The fact this acticle is talking about police offering to help if you are a victim, probably won't help much, but it can't hurt more. 

About that: There are about 1200 police officers on the island.

And estimate about 2-3000 "working drivers" with yellow/green plates.

Police is trying to keep their face and stopping things from escalating!

Also, in case I read that right: The complaining party got "helped" to the station, not the accused culprit. 

On the other hand: My guess is, that the police gave them a ride back to the hotel. 

Anyone found something about how they got back, in the middle of the night, with ALL Kamala TT's (Taxi Thug's) against them?

Hopefully this has some positive effect on making taxis more affordable in Phuket otherwise it will just be like the saying goes - pouring water into the sea

1 hour ago, Guest1 said:

I love it! Always this stupid comments and comparisons with western prices.

If you wanna compare, then compare it to the factor, taxis on Phuket are more expensive, as in the capitol, Bangkok.

How would you feel, if your taxi in a holiday destination in England would cost you 2-3times that, of a black cab in London?

In case You missed it, it was a Thai, who complained about it! London prices have no relevance, in Thailand, anyway 

Aside that these prices are even used for this tin cans, called TukTuk on Phuket

Whhooaa, trigger. I didn't bring up the comparison, someone else did!

Looking forward to riding in a tin can though, hope they took the baked beans out first. Messy. 😄

29 minutes ago, Noble_Design said:

Hopefully this has some positive effect on making taxis more affordable in Phuket otherwise it will just be like the saying goes - pouring water into the sea

You are a very optimistic person. Overly optimistic, I have to say. ;-)

16 hours ago, Poolie said:

Certainly its expensive when compared to say Isaan, or somewhere but not compared to other countries. Have you taken a black cab in London for instance? Eyewatering.

Not for many years