Jump to content

Calls for factories to be moved out of residential areas after blaze at plastics plant


Thaiger
 Share

Recommended Posts

The Federation of Thai Industries is calling on the government to move factories away from residential neighbourhoods, following the devastating blaze in Samut Prakan, outside Bangkok. According to a Bangkok Post report, FTI chairman Supant Mongkolsuthree suggests factory owners could be given incentives to relocate, such as a reduction in corporate income tax and land tax. “Factory relocation requires support from the government because it incurs high costs.” 1 firefighter has died and dozens have been injured fighting a huge blaze at a plastics factory in the Bang Phli district of Samut Prakan. It took over 24 hours to fully […]

The post Calls for factories to be moved out of residential areas after blaze at plastics plant appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Thaiger said:

The Federation of Thai Industries is calling on the government to move factories away from residential neighbourhoods, following the devastating blaze in Samut Prakan, outside Bangkok. According to a Bangkok Post report, FTI chairman Supant Mongkolsuthree suggests factory owners could be given incentives to relocate, such as a reduction in corporate income tax and land tax. “Factory relocation requires support from the government because it incurs high costs.” 1 firefighter has died and dozens have been injured fighting a huge blaze at a plastics factory in the Bang Phli district of Samut Prakan. It took over 24 hours to fully […]

The post Calls for factories to be moved out of residential areas after blaze at plastics plant appeared first on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Like so many of these instant media comments on the back of the death of a brave hero (the firefighter), a seemingly simple idea. Let's move all factories to another area. 

Too often, I feel the idea is good but is put out there without thinking of all of the consequences. For example, moving away from residential area is good but not if another fire happens at the new site, an essential worker is then tragically again killed fighting it, and the chemical fire cloud blows over a residential area again! 

All because the real problem of why the fire started was never solved. More thinking needed on suitable action. Cost is always a factor. Perhaps focus on the other problems before talking about cost.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From my understanding this factory was there long before there were residential properties in the area. Perhaps another point would be to not allow homes to be built near factories with hazardous chemicals.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, el_khan said:

From my understanding this factory was there long before there were residential properties in the area. Perhaps another point would be to not allow homes to be built near factories with hazardous chemicals.

And if they move the factories how long before residential areas move close to them 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, el_khan said:

From my understanding this factory was there long before there were residential properties in the area. Perhaps another point would be to not allow homes to be built near factories with hazardous chemicals.

I think you missed the point of lowering taxes ?

Seems like quite an business organisation that the first think they are suggesting is that they need cheaper taxes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right dab smack almost next to the airport. Probably not much there beforehand except industrial and fields with some Moo Bahns around before development took off. These Einstein's here always seem to come up with some cockamamy spur of the moment get on the band wagon ludicrous idea. Must be in their DNA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i thought that residential areas appear around factories naturally, not the other way around, but of cause i am not an architect

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AlexPTY said:

i thought that residential areas appear around factories naturally, not the other way around, but of cause i am not an architect

Normally yes. I know of factory that made little immigrant worker cities around them and then other housing was built.. One I call little Burma.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Tjampman said:

I think you missed the point of lowering taxes ?

Seems like quite an business organisation that the first think they are suggesting is that they need cheaper taxes.

I mean it sounds logical to me actually, particularly if the business was originally setup in a remote area away from houses. In a case like this, should the business have to bear the entire financial burden moving to a new location?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By posting on Thaiger Talk you agree to the Terms of Use