News Forum - Thailand pushes for more international flights as tourism surges

Thaiger

Thailand’s Transport Ministry is under orders to request more international flights to the country as tourism surges. Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-chat issued the order for the Ministry to contact international flight carriers on the same day he noted that tourism is on the road to recovery. According to the government, the country has seen around 10 million foreign arrivals up until December 10 of this year. That number will only grow as the high season arrives soon. Orders for more ground service staff have also been carried out to assist with the influx of travellers. In other news, the Tourism […]

The story Thailand pushes for more international flights as tourism surges as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

2 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Orders for more ground service staff have also been carried out to assist with the influx of travellers.

Orders by whom? My understanding is that AOT is publicly listed company. I do hope the government hasn’t Ordered this? 

On 12/7/2022 at 2:35 AM, Soidog said:

Orders by whom? My understanding is that AOT is publicly listed company. I do hope the government hasn’t Ordered this? 

Who cares? The things some commenters worry about is perplexing. 

Right now Google flights show ticket prices for December that are 4+ times higher than regular.

So, Thailand really wants the airlines to offer something affordable if they want to see more tourists in December 😉.

4 minutes ago, Dmitrii said:

Right now Google flights show ticket prices for December that are 4+ times higher than regular.

So, Thailand really wants the airlines to offer something affordable if they want to see more tourists in December 😉.

There are more competitive sites than Google. Shop around. 

2 hours ago, Saunk said:

Who cares? The things some commenters worry about is perplexing. 

Well the point is, that as a public company, the government has little or no say in what it does. Admittedly the government may well be a major shareholder, but it’s not the only shareholder. 

34 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well the point is, that as a public company, the government has little or no say in what it does. Admittedly the government may well be a major shareholder, but it’s not the only shareholder. 

Airports of Thailand, a state-owned airport operator, is 70% controlled by the finance ministry. The company was established in 2002 when the Airports Authority of Thailand was privatized.

1 hour ago, Marc26 said:

Airports of Thailand, a state-owned airport operator, is 70% controlled by the finance ministry. The company was established in 2002 when the Airports Authority of Thailand was privatized.

That’s not totally correct Marc. AOT is a publicly listed company on the SET traded as AOT. The Thai government holds 70% of the stock and so it by far the major shareholder and can set the overall direction of the company. However, as a SET listed company it also has other shareholders to consider. The government can’t “Order” them to do things without considering other shareholders. It’s controlled by the Ministry of Transport, not the Finance Ministry. 

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

That’s not totally correct Marc. AOT is a publicly listed company on the SET traded as AOT. The Thai government holds 70% of the stock and so it by far the major shareholder and can set the overall direction of the company. However, as a SET listed company it also has other shareholders to consider. The government can’t “Order” them to do things without considering other shareholders. It’s controlled by the Ministry of Transport, not the Finance Ministry. 

It's a state owned Enterprise, AOT operates it, the other 30% are shareholders.

State Street(#4 holder) isn't telling The Kingdom of Thailand how to run it's airports

I can't find it but I would guarantee that it is in writing that the Govt has control over the company

Even if it weren't a Govt entity, a regular shareholder that owned 70% of the shares would have control over what the company does

11 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

It's a state owned Enterprise, AOT operates it, the other 30% are shareholders.

State Street(#4 holder) isn't telling The Kingdom of Thailand how to run it's airports

I can't find it but I would guarantee that it is in writing that the Govt has control over the company

Even if it weren't a Govt entity, a regular shareholder that owned 70% of the shares would have control over what the company does

Agree with all of that. However my point is that no one in Government “Orders” a company with shareholders what to do. Even when the government is a majority shareholder. Business doesn’t work like that.  ”Order” was the headline of this article.