News Forum - Everything stolen from Danish man’s 3 homes on Koh Samui

Thaiger

A Danish expat living in Koh Samui returned home from a five-month holiday to a most unpleasant surprise. Someone had ransacked his three homes and stolen nearly everything inside. The 43 year old man had been travelling abroad for nearly half a year with his Thai wife. Their homes are in Maenam on the northern coast of the popular holiday island. Damages and stolen items totalled over 3 million baht, according to the couple’s estimate. Maenam is generally a peaceful and quiet subdistrict in Koh Samui, about 20 minutes drive from the busy tourist and party area in Chaweng. The […]

The story Everything stolen from Danish man’s 3 homes on Koh Samui as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Someone knew something and told. The housekeeper? Sorry but he should have had a better safe security net in place. So as much as this is a bummer it is also idiotic to think it wouldn’t happen, and this would be virtually every country. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Someone knew something and told. The housekeeper? Sorry but he should have had a better safe security net in place. So as much as this is a bummer it is also idiotic to think it wouldn’t happen, and this would be virtually every country. 

Agreed. Even the England footballer Raheem Stirling has had his house broken in to and his family threatened. He’s appearing on national television and is known to be 3,000 miles from home. Local thugs and criminals will know when people are away. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

Agreed. Even the England footballer Raheem Stirling has had his house broken in to and his family threatened. He’s appearing on national television and is known to be 3,000 miles from home. Local thugs and criminals will know when people are away. 

He is on his way back home now isn’t he? World Cup means nothing when the family is in harms way. 

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

He is on his way back home now isn’t he? World Cup means nothing when the family is in harms way. 

Yes he’s headed back and rightly so. I just wonder why a guy who earns £300,000 a week can’t pay for better security at his home, especially when he’s away? 

• Like 1

Leaving an home for 5 months, needs a lot of preparation, needs to have multiple protection and safety features, cannot believe any one.

Does thailand has a home insurance ?  If yes, i hope it covers for such theft and vandalism.

8 hours ago, Soidog said:

Yes he’s headed back and rightly so. I just wonder why a guy who earns £300,000 a week can’t pay for better security at his home, especially when he’s away? 

Yes very odd of him thinking no one would even think of making his house and family a mark of invasion knowing he is not home and the house and family are virutualy and open season target. Not sure about the UK or England, but in the USA I understand this is happening more and more nowadays as the criminals have grown more hardened and not worried about police action. For the guy in the article, in some way he only has himslef to blame leaving himself wide open. Neighbors seeing something and not doing anything like calling the police? If it looks odd then it is odd. I myself for where my house is would know something is going on, and unless I do not like the neighbor would probably do something. 

• Like 1

Well, I suppose that after 15 years of peace one can understand that people might believe that they have been living in a secluded and secure spot. Regretfully the world is becoming a more and more dangerous and insecure place. It's a pity that we have to distrust everything and everyone in the present. I suppose that some here remember the times you could leave your front door unlocked. Not just in Thailand, but where ever we grew up in the old days.

2 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Not sure about the UK or England, but in the USA I understand this is happening more and more nowadays as the criminals have grown more hardened and not worried about police action.

It’s pretty much the same in the U.K.  the majority of house break-ins go undetected and people know the police won’t take action. 

I have a lot of respect for individual police officers, but I do question the leadership. The only time I see police outside of a car is at airports and main railways stations. The police will send 6 men backed up by an armed response unit to go and raid a flat where they arrest a guy with a few grams of cannabis.  I guess that work gets set against some high profile drugs target where’s as attending a house break-in is low priority. Too much resource appears to be wasted in the U.K. on nonsense. 

2 hours ago, Donald said:

Well, I suppose that after 15 years of peace one can understand that people might believe that they have been living in a secluded and secure spot. Regretfully the world is becoming a more and more dangerous and insecure place. It's a pity that we have to distrust everything and everyone in the present. I suppose that some here remember the times you could leave your front door unlocked. Not just in Thailand, but where ever we grew up in the old days.

Actually, if you have been here a long time in Thailand then you would know you could never ever leave your doors unlucked or house open unless somoen was home. For nighttime, never. Dark came and you locked them all. Just has never been like that here.

5 minutes ago, thingamabob said:

I can't understand why this couple left their property unsecured for several months. That is asking for trouble in any country anywhere.

Indeed! "Usually" you get a keeper for such a property. Will mostly but not always have a better outcome, but : a lot easier to track down. If chosen with background check 

22 minutes ago, Soidog said:

It’s pretty much the same in the U.K.  the majority of house break-ins go undetected and people know the police won’t take action. 

I have a lot of respect for individual police officers, but I do question the leadership. The only time I see police outside of a car is at airports and main railways stations. The police will send 6 men backed up by an armed response unit to go and raid a flat where they arrest a guy with a few grams of cannabis.  I guess that work gets set against some high profile drugs target where’s as attending a house break-in is low priority. Too much resource appears to be wasted in the U.K. on nonsense. 

Yeah, the world is like going backwards and criminals actually have rights. Don't figure.

• Like 1

This begs the question: why do they need 3 homes?? But back on topic- for sure this is an inside job, either the housekeeper or the wife or the wife's family told someone - otherwise they wouldn't have known the houses were unoccupied. Just another reason to live in a condo or gated community with 24/7 security - just that will stop 99% from even attempting.

On 12/5/2022 at 7:58 PM, Soidog said:

So you know the guy? Anyway if he earns £300,000 / 12 million bths a week, it is then just not more than a little inconvenience for the guy.

4 minutes ago, Manu said:

So you know the guy? Anyway if he earns £300,000 / 12 million bths a week, it is then just not more than a little inconvenience for the guy.

Sorry Manu I don’t understand the question or the point you are making. 

I don’t know the guy but it’s widely reported he returned home following a break in at his house. His salary is a matter of record by the club he plays for. 

The fact he earns so much money doesn’t change the fact that he must have been worried sick about what happened to his family. My question was why a man who earns so much didn’t pay for more security at his home? 

40 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Sorry Manu I don’t understand the question or the point you are making. 

I don’t know the guy but it’s widely reported he returned home following a break in at his house. His salary is a matter of record by the club he plays for. 

The fact he earns so much money doesn’t change the fact that he must have been worried sick about what happened to his family. My question was why a man who earns so much didn’t pay for more security at his home? 

It was not mentioned in the article so I thought maybe you knew him, nothing else.

My point was not questioning or not even about your question, just making the point that if he earns 12 million bths a week, it is not a big deal for this guy, just added that in the same comment since you were the one and the only one mentioning his wealth.

Otherwise I still have my home in the UK where I only go 2/3 months over the summer and it is definitely secure (well as much as possible)... the best one being that my home is in front of my local pub, with loads of my mates being there everyday watching it ha ha. So I agree with the lack of security of this guy, but my only point really was that he is very wealthy so no big deal.

7 hours ago, Manu said:

It was not mentioned in the article so I thought maybe you knew him, nothing else.

My point was not questioning or not even about your question, just making the point that if he earns 12 million bths a week, it is not a big deal for this guy, just added that in the same comment since you were the one and the only one mentioning his wealth.

Otherwise I still have my home in the UK where I only go 2/3 months over the summer and it is definitely secure (well as much as possible)... the best one being that my home is in front of my local pub, with loads of my mates being there everyday watching it ha ha. So I agree with the lack of security of this guy, but my only point really was that he is very wealthy so no big deal.

Ok got ya now 👍🏻. On £300,000 a week he won’t have a problem replacing any stolen items unless of any sentimental value. 

Yes I do a similar thing. I’m lucky enough to have a home in Holland and one in the U.K.  I spend 6-9 months in Thailand and go back mainly to the U.K. to see my family and do that over Christmas and summer. I try to return to Thailand between Christmas and New Year, but this year decent flights are proving difficult. I’m lucky in that family members stay in both houses while I’m away and so I don’t have to lock them so heavily. 

• Like 1