News Forum - Insurgent bomb derails train in Songkhla

Thaiger

A train was derailed in the deep south of Thailand, and security officials believe it was a result of a bomb set off by southern insurgents. Train number 707 was making a short run from Hat Yai to the border town of Padang Besar in the Sadao district in the southern province of Songkhla. The train was a freight train, transporting para rubber to Malaysia, according to the State Railway of Thailand. It had been travelling along the main rail lines between the major southern hub of Hat Yai and the Malaysian capital city of Kuala Lumpur when the train […]

The story Insurgent bomb derails train in Songkhla as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

There are a few corrections. Firstly, the freight trains only ended their logistics at the border between Malaysia and Thailand, town of Padang Besar or Padang Basa (Thailand). Secondly, Thai trains since 2015  cannot make any more trips to Butterworth and Kuala Lumpur (KL). They don't have direct rail services between Hatyai and KL, because Malaysia has improved the infrastructure by converting slow train network to a high speed rail between KL and Padang Besar. Since 2015 no SRT Trains aren't allowed in Malaysian territory because the high speed rails have different tonnage allowable weights for carriages. Hence, all the SRT trains have to end at Padang Besar. 

Despite the train between Padang Besar and Hatyai have been suspended, there are various ways Malaysian travellers can go to Hatyai and Bangkok. Firstly, we can take high speed rail and end at Padang Besar. From there, we can take vans  that travels between Padang Besar and Hatyai; those going to Bangkok can either buy their tickets at Padang Besar border for the 5:30pm train or from Hatyai.

Secondly, there are many buses and coaches that travels between KL and Hatyai, especially during the night. Hatyai is a very popular touristy and travellers city for Malaysians. 

Dear Thaiger, appreciate you do some research before just "assuming" your article written in such a way. I do understand that the article was written by a foreigner. 

Edited by DWSC

11 hours ago, DWSC said:

There are a few corrections. Firstly, the freight trains only ended their logistics at the border between Malaysia and Thailand, town of Padang Besar or Padang Basa (Thailand). Secondly, Thai trains since 2015  cannot make any more trips to Butterworth and Kuala Lumpur (KL). They don't have direct rail services between Hatyai and KL, because Malaysia has improved the infrastructure by converting slow train network to a high speed rail between KL and Padang Besar. Since 2015 no SRT Trains aren't allowed in Malaysian territory because the high speed rails have different tonnage allowable weights for carriages. Hence, all the SRT trains have to end at Padang Besar. 

Despite the train between Padang Besar and Hatyai have been suspended, there are various ways Malaysian travellers can go to Hatyai and Bangkok. Firstly, we can take high speed rail and end at Padang Besar. From there, we can take vans  that travels between Padang Besar and Hatyai; those going to Bangkok can either buy their tickets at Padang Besar border for the 5:30pm train or from Hatyai.

Secondly, there are many buses and coaches that travels between KL and Hatyai, especially during the night. Hatyai is a very popular touristy and travellers city for Malaysians. 

Dear Thaiger, appreciate you do some research before just "assuming" your article written in such a way. I do understand that the article was written by a foreigner. 

I don't see what's so wrong about the article. Even if SRT trains don't enter Malaysia the article doesn't say they do, it just says it was traveling on a rail line between Hat Yai and KL when it happened, which it was.

And yes there are vans and buses so what? Some would rather use the train only, and especially going to Malaysia from Bangkok having to get off at Hat Yai will be a major inconvenience compared to just riding the train all the way.

Ya, you mentioned the SRT trains Hatyai to KL. That's incorrect for a long time. There used to be a service before 2015 that travels between KL and Hatyai. However, that's no longer happening. Check your facts. 

I have been to Thailand and Malaysia borders many times, but never felt unsafe.

I was either lucky or ignorant. This could be a wakeup call for me. 

On 12/5/2022 at 10:58 AM, HiuMak said:

I have been to Thailand and Malaysia borders many times, but never felt unsafe.

I was either lucky or ignorant. This could be a wakeup call for me. 

I'm in the same boat.

Once there was a bombing in Hat Yais Lee Garden basement the day after I sat there. (Some people were hospitalised after inhaling fumes but no one died or like 1 dead..)

There seems to be a line that the insurgents do not cross, they bomb stuff but their attacks are not aimed at killing civilians. The 2 consecutive bombings there are scary still.