News Forum - Motorcycle taxi riders rally against unlicensed ride-share app drivers in Pattaya

Thaiger

Over 100 Pattaya motorcycle taxi riders showed up at Pattaya City Hall yesterday to make some noise about unlicensed ride-share app drivers.  The motorcycle taxi riders are calling for a crackdown, saying that these unlicensed drivers are stealing their passengers. In an open letter to Pattaya Deputy Mayor Wuttisak Rueimkitkan, the riders accused app drivers of: Not having had their vehicles registered for public transport. Not having a public transport license or taxi insurance. Stealing passengers from legal drivers by charging lower fares than the standard rates agreed upon by Pattaya City Hall regulations for public transport. Ride-share companies are […]

The story Motorcycle taxi riders rally against unlicensed ride-share app drivers in Pattaya as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

These scum just can’t see they are fighting the tide of development. Give it up guys. The world is moving on and you need to also.

I think we will see much more of this soon. Thailand’s attitude is so stuck in the 40’s-60’s that it just can’t accept the world is now 60 to 80 years more advanced. Time and tide wait for no Thai!

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

On 12/2/2022 at 3:21 PM, Soidog said:

These scum just can’t see they are fighting the tide of development. Give it up guys. The world is moving on and you need to also.

I think we will see much more of this soon. Thailand’s attitude is so stuck in the 40’s-60’s that it just can’t accept the world is now 60 to 80 years more advanced. Time and tide wait for no Thai!

You must have not read an article about ride sharing all over the world for the last 10 years

Because basically every country had the same issues, it has nothing to do with Thailand being behind the times

And all their gripes are legitimate, why wouldn't they take issue?

They have to abide by all these rules and ride-shares don't

If that happened in your job/industry I doubt you would sit back and do nothing 

I personally value MB taxis and hope they remain in play 

They have always been a vital part of my transportation in Thailand over 20 years

I'd much rather walk out and grab a MB taxi that's right there than go into my phone, book a trip, then stare at my phone looking to see where the ride share is

Plus, like all ride shares

The prices will eventually be the same

5 hours ago, Marc26 said:

You must have not read an article about ride sharing all over the world for the last 10 years

You’ve answered my point exactly. The rest of the world was fighting it 10 years ago and it lost. Thailand needs to realise they are not special. They can not stop progress and should look to other countries to see how the world is moving. Give it up and move on.  It may be a quaint experience for a tourist, but this is progress and you can’t win.  

37 minutes ago, Soidog said:

You’ve answered my point exactly. The rest of the world was fighting it 10 years ago and it lost. Thailand needs to realise they are not special. They can not stop progress and should look to other countries to see how the world is moving. Give it up and move on.  It may be a quaint experience for a tourist, but this is progress and you can’t win.  

A quaint experience for a tourist?

It's one of the main modes of transportation in local Thai neighborhoods all over Thailand 

And all the taxis in countries fought to have a level playing field 

And that's what Thailand is experiencing now

I use rides shares probably more than most

But I can't blame taxis to want the same rules applied 

On 12/3/2022 at 6:21 AM, Soidog said:

Scum?

Thai bashers shut up or go home.

1 hour ago, HiuMak said:

When there is competition, there is improvement.

Not exactly 

From experience most ride share drivers are far less knowledgeable than regular taxis 

They go strictly by the GPS when half the times it's given them a shitty route

Give me an experienced MB guy any day of the week

14 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

Not exactly 

From experience most ride share drivers are far less knowledgeable than regular taxis 

They go strictly by the GPS when half the times it's given them a shitty route

Give me an experienced MB guy any day of the week

I use the Motorcyle Taxi all of the time in Bangkok and always have for near 30 years now, but never in Pattaya as I either walk or use a truck or rent a bike. For me personaly I do not use app transportation but I think they should all be registered properly to work. These Motocyle Taxi have a history for complaining and a history of ganging up and brawling with anyone they think is on their turf, and that can include someone of their same breed but is out of their territory too far taking a customer or taking on a customer from out of their que area. Pure nonsense as they think mine - mine - mine. I think even if the app riders do get everything in order, those Motorocyle Taxi will always not accept them and become thugs when they wee an app rider picking someone up. don't get me wrong, I prefer using the MC taxi as is easy for me, but they always seem to cry like little babies.

3 hours ago, SomtamMcSporran said:

Scum?

Thai bashers shut up or go home.

As always, easy to pull out the “Thai bashing card”. I suppose you have the “Racist” card up your other sleeve. I’ve lost count of how many times people who are unable to debate use that excuse. 

The fact is many of these MB taxi guys are organised gangs. They try to overcharge people and go forbid you complain. If you do you won’t have a problem with one of them, but a whole group. They block pavements and are a menace to many local Thai women passing them. I use them only when I have to (heavy traffic), the rest of the time I avoid them. 

I for one am glad this competition is aggravating them. They may see you need to change and improve or be overtaken by competition. 

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

On 12/5/2022 at 1:16 PM, Marc26 said:

Hi Marc

That is not true. Some ride share drivers are as knowledgeable as taxi drivers or maybe better as they bring me through smaller remote routes to avoid congested main roads.

GPS generally are more trustworthy as they calculate the shortest route to my destination. 

15 minutes ago, HiuMak said:

Hi Marc

That is not true. Some ride share drivers are as knowledgeable as taxi drivers or maybe better as they bring me through smaller remote routes to avoid congested main roads.

GPS generally are more trustworthy as they calculate the shortest route to my destination. 

I started taking ride shares when they 1st started in the US

Well over 10 years ago

At 1st they were former car service and taxi drivers who knew all the streets and neighborhoods

Now it's every Mohammed with a Toyota Corrolla and now Somchi with a Honda Scoot

People like to shit on taxis and MB drivers but many have been doing it for years and know way more than some kid with an app

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/5/2022 at 3:36 PM, Soidog said:

I use them only when I have to (heavy traffic), the rest of the time I avoid them. 

You call them 'scum' and then say you use them!!