News Forum - British man injured in hit-and-run incident in Pattaya

Thaiger

A 74 year old British man was injured in a hit-and-run incident on the zebra crossing in Pattaya. The driver is on the run. Peter Palmer was hit by a wreckless pickup driver as he crossed Jomtien Sai Song Road at 11am yesterday. Fortunately, the British man survived and is appealing to the Thai media to spread his story so he can track down the dangerous driver and make him pay compensation. Palmer told reporters that he waited for the green man to flash before crossing the road at the zebra crossing as suggested by the law. But, as he […]

The story British man injured in hit-and-run incident in Pattaya as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Palmer told reporters that he waited for the green man to flash before crossing the road at the zebra crossing as suggested by the law

I don’t think it’s a suggestion. I know many Thais think all traffic laws are suggestions or optional but they aren’t. They are the law. Shouldn’t be difficult to find the driver. If Mr Palmer is prepared to pay a few thousand baht then the cops may find him. Don’t expect them just to do their job. 

The article goes on to say:

If the victim was seriously injured or killed, the penalty will be harder: up to six months in prison and a 5,000 to 20,000 baht fine.

Reckless driving and killing someone in a pedestrian crossing results in “Up to” 6 months in jail (3 maybe) and no more than £460 fine. Is it any wonder no one really cares. I’d get more for a second drink drive offence in the U.K.  Talking of which, whatever happened to the new points system the cops and politicians made such a fuss over?  The one where you could get 12 speeding tickets a year and not get banned? It’s just lip service to NGO’s and foreign pressure groups coming out with this clap trap. They simply do not care. It’s the same with human trafficking and no doubt environmental issues. All window dressing 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, but in my eyes he is careless and it is his fault 50/50. He might as well have been blind and had a white cane. No excuse for not knowing the rules that there are noi driver safety rules. Do not pass go. go back to basic Thailand road rules 101. There are none and cell phones in automobiles are number 1. How dare he subject this Thai driver to looking at the road and not his cell phone..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One thing I learned quickly after coming here and now living here is pedestrians never have the right of way.

Am 10 years younger than this Brit and walk everywhere as well.  Seen many near misses and had a few myself.

EVERYONE is in a hurry... Delivery drivers on scooters are the worst, drivers of cars and trucks are the most dangerous.

Sad world we live in when getting somewhere a minute earlier is more important than stopping at a zebra crossing

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, HolyCowCm said:

Thai driver to looking at the road and not his cell phone.

They have 2 eyes, can look at both simultaneously - 5555

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ExpatPattaya said:

They have 2 eyes, can look at both simultaneously - 5555

Or they think it is a Tesla on auto. Wait a minute, same thing. I don't trust Tesla's either.

It seems, the police is, till now, unaware of this accident?

Because if not, they would have this guy in a couple of hours, just by following the CCTV trail of his ride. Every now and then, there is a cam involved, that lets read the license plate. Also minimum one of the 2 cars behind,  waiting(?) at the red light (it is not only a zebra crossing hit and run, as long the (pedestrian) traffic light is on and red!) would have a dash cam running, both cars are relatively new.

So why wasn't the RTP on the scene, after the accident?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HolyCowCm said:

Sorry, but in my eyes he is careless and it is his fault 50/50. He might as well have been blind and had a white cane. No excuse for not knowing the rules that there are noi driver safety rules. Do not pass go. go back to basic Thailand road rules 101. There are none and cell phones in automobiles are number 1. How dare he subject this Thai driver to looking at the road and not his cell phone..

I think the traffic lights and the bright red paint give people a false sense of security.  I have better luck crossing the street where there are no zebra stripes or traffic lights.  They mean nothing to many drivers anyway.  Walking into traffic without looking both ways is never a good idea regardless of where you cross.  Never know when a motorcycle is traveling in the wrong direction.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, bushav8r said:

I think the traffic lights and the bright red paint give people a false sense of security.  I have better luck crossing the street where there are no zebra stripes or traffic lights.  They mean nothing to many drivers anyway.  Walking into traffic without looking both ways is never a good idea regardless of where you cross.  Never know when a motorcycle is traveling in the wrong direction.

Yes you got it on the mark as it is sutpidly a false sense of right that provides zero security.

How dare we expect asian countries to consider Western values such as Pedestrians have the right of way when attempting to walk across a road/street.

Hit and runs should have their license to drive , revoked period and get heavy fines  with possible jail.

Hope they catch the idiot! Be interesting to hear their excuse as to why they didn’t stop!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

You jest but write the truth. Sadly, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary

Actually @Vigo I meant every word of it. We are all well aware of the fact you can literally get away with murder in Thailand if you know the right people and have the right money.

What amazes me is how such issues hardly ever make the international media. Not just relating to Thailand but in many corrupt countries across the world. Perhaps it’s partly due to reporting standards in developed countries. How do you corroborate your story and where do you get sources from? A BBC reporter claiming such things in Thailand would be met with some of the most stringent defamation laws in the world. Jonathan Head from the BBC had major issues relating to a story he reported on a case of foreigners being scammed.

I think the headline is wrong as nothing unusual about it  it happens daily in Thailand and acts as a continual threat to anyone who dares to challenge the rich and powerful. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/23/bbc-journalist-jonathan-head-on-trial-in-thailand-over-unusual-defamation-case

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/29/2022 at 5:58 AM, HolyCowCm said:

Or they think it is a Tesla on auto. Wait a minute, same thing. I don't trust Tesla's either.

There's no trusting or not trusting Teslas. The driver is still responsible, even when using advanced cruise control.