News Forum - Poll examines sexual violence causes, definitions

Thaiger

A new NIDA Poll has shed some light on what modern Thai society believes is sexual violence and what causes it. The poll, conducted by the National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA), asked about what people thought were the major root causes of sexual violence. They also asked whether a variety of scenarios would be considered to fall under that term. The poll surveyed 1,311 people over the age of 15 between November 10 and 15. Interviews were conducted by phone and thought to speak with people of all different occupations and income levels as well as levels of education. […]

The story Poll examines sexual violence causes, definitions as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

"47.52% – Women wearing revealing clothes and/or flirting"

And there it is; it is the woman's fault.

Thais, of all ages, need to learn that sexual violence is a crime, and a very serious crime. They need to learn what is appropriate and what is not appropriate, and the consequences of their actions. And, perhaps most importantly, Thais need to make sex and sex-related crimes as socially acceptable as gonorrhea. Hmm... Super Gonorrhea.

And, they need to see powerful men being tossed into jail for committing that crime; Harvey Weinstein, anyone? Bill Cosby? Matt Lauer?

It'll be a long, sad road.

That said, I have to say that Thailand is getting better, even if the speed of progress is glacial. I first visited the Kingdom in the late 80s/early 90s and things were significantly worse than today. Off the top of my head, I recently recall reading of two (Thai) Democrat senior politicians and a (Thai) University President getting the boot from their positions for sex-related crimes.

It is still the tip of the iceberg, but it is a start.

• Like 1

It is not Thailand but I feel it's related to the topic

I've been watching a lot of KDrama/K-romcoms as sort of my escape from all the more serious shows I watch

And I mentioned to my wife how much guys grab girls in these shows 

If they are arguing or even to just get their attention 

They will grab their arm and sort of turn the girl into them

It seems extremely foreign to me

There is no way we could grab a female like that in North America 

So I'd imagine seeing that image all tbr time on TV has am effect on how guys in Korea treat women 

• Like 2

If a man meets a woman at a club or anywhere and they are both drunk or the woman is drunk and they have s*x, under the law the man is automatically considered a rapist even if the woman consents.

And as regards Women wearing revealing clothes and/or flirting, doesn`t everyone both men and women have certain responsibilities to themselves not to place themselves in vulnerable situations pertaining to both I have mentioned.

I am not victim blaming but is still negligent for someone to place themself in a situation as a victim waiting to happen.

For some reason it seems to be an old ugly fraternal stigma that is accepted under the table by certain Thai males. If you watch Thai TV soaps you will occasionaly still see  beatings, kidnappings and rape scenes of gals even in this day and age. I do think it is ingrained and needs to be washed out.

15 hours ago, perceblue said:

If a man meets a woman at a club or anywhere and they are both drunk or the woman is drunk and they have s*x, under the law the man is automatically considered a rapist even if the woman consents.

And as regards Women wearing revealing clothes and/or flirting, doesn`t everyone both men and women have certain responsibilities to themselves not to place themselves in vulnerable situations pertaining to both I have mentioned.

I am not victim blaming but is still negligent for someone to place themself in a situation as a victim waiting to happen.

"Not victim blaming" as you question if someone wearing revealing clothes or flirting makes them partially to blame

But not victim blaming.............

• Like 1

16 hours ago, perceblue said:

What law??? -

such are the excuses used by sex-offenders. You need to rethink your attitudes to both men and women.

• Like 1