News Forum - Thai Airways appoint new CEO

Thaiger

Thai Airways have appointed CFO Chai Eamsiri as CEO. Chai will take up his new role on February 1. Chai was chosen from 53 internal and external candidates, including domestic and international aviation executives. The recruitment processes involved psychometric testing for leadership capability. Applicants also presented their vision for the company to the selection committee. With an MBA from Kasetsart University and an undergraduate degree from Assumption University, backed up by 37 years in the Thai aviation industry, Chai has all the attributes and qualifications for the position. Chai is on the board of Bangkok Aviation Fuel Services and THAI […]

The story Thai Airways appoint new CEO as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Doesn't matter who they put in, it is the people who are still linked with it. I love Thai airways, but it will probably always lean to one side flying in a circle.

8 hours ago, Thaiger said:

backed up by 37 years in the Thai aviation industry, Chai has all the attributes and qualifications for the position

Really?  Since when has Thailand ever been at the forefront of airline management expertise.  I dont see how he brings new thinking and international expertise to the job, so same old, same old.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Pinetree said:

Really?  Since when has Thailand ever been at the forefront of airline management expertise.  I dont see how he brings new thinking and international expertise to the job, so same old, same old.  

It doesn’t matter. Forget trying to find the best for the job, main thing is they are Thai. Forget the idea of meritocracy, money and being Thai is paramount. I sincerely hope Thai continue to be the basket case it is and cost the government billions. They deserve nothing less. 

On 11/26/2022 at 11:58 AM, Thaiger said:

Thai Airways have appointed CFO Chai Eamsiri as CEO. Chai will take up his new role on February 1. Chai was chosen from 53 internal and external candidates, including domestic and international aviation executives.

If Musks is elected, everyone will be fired.

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

It doesn’t matter. Forget trying to find the best for the job, main thing is they are Thai. Forget the idea of meritocracy, money and being Thai is paramount. I sincerely hope Thai continue to be the basket case it is and cost the government billions. They deserve nothing less. 

Two of the Asian airlines that I worked for had western CEOs for many years, one Australian one English. They were selected for their international aviation expertise and business acumen. Both airlines have prospered through the last many years, having been set on the right road by the two talented and internationally respected executives.  Same can be said of Emirates and Gulf Air.  If you want to thrive in any industry, you hire the best and most experienced.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

Two of the Asian airlines that I worked for had western CEOs for many years, one Australian one English. They were selected for their international aviation expertise and business acumen. Both airlines have prospered through the last many years, having been set on the right road by the two talented and internationally respected executives.  Same can be said of Emirates and Gulf Air.  If you want to thrive in any industry, you hire the best and most experienced.  

All of what you have said is 100% correct. However it assumes that you run the company to expand it and add to the improvement of the overall economy and hence the wealth of the country. If on the other hand the aim is to simply protect the multiple thiefdoms and simple enjoy the high salaries and privileges that come with senior positions then you can run things as they are done in Thailand. There are fortunes still to be made but you don’t innovate or improve things. 

Some years back in the 1970’s80’s Thailand was seen as having the potential to be one of the emerging Tiger economies along with places like Hong Kong and Singapore. While those countries use the approach you have described and prospered, Thailand remains mired in the “developing nation” status as it holds on tight to the patriarchy, nepotism, cronyism and nationalism. Being the best at something simply doesn’t enter the thought process. The really smart and clever part is that they have embedded this way of thinking in to all Thais to the point that speaking out against it is seen as not loving your country and being a traitor.