News Forum - F35 fighter jets head RTAF wish list

Thaiger

The Royal Thai Air Force (RTAF) is keen to buy two shiny black F35 fighter jets from the United States. Despite outcry from opposition parties, F35 fighter jets head RTAF’s wish list. The decision now rests with the US Congress which is yet to confirm whether Thailand is a good enough friend to receive such sought-after toys.  The plane’s technology is so secret that only Uncle Sam’s very best buddies will be allowed to play with it. The F35 is a multi-role fighter with stealth technology. More than a fighter jet, it is a spy plane. According to ThaiPBSWorld, only […]

The story F35 fighter jets head RTAF wish list as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Whether or not Thailand will be allowed to buy the F-35 or not is iffiy at best. However, Thailand doesn’t need the F-35. I get the need to replace very old aircraft and wanting the shiniest new toy to say “look at me”. However Thailand has options that better fit its needs and budget. First off would be new F-16 block 70/75s. The infrastructure and training is already in place and they are a huge improvement over its current version. Second would be the Saab Gripen E, it’s a big improvement over their current C version (Sweden is just now getting them). Again the infrastructure and training are already in place. Thailand probably does need new fighter bombers, but not stealth fighters. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, EdwardV said:

Whether or not Thailand will be allowed to buy the F-35 or not is iffiy at best. However, Thailand doesn’t need the F-35. I get the need to replace very old aircraft and wanting the shiniest new toy to say “look at me”. However Thailand has options that better fit its needs and budget. First off would be new F-16 block 70/75s. The infrastructure and training is already in place and they are a huge improvement over its current version. Second would be the Saab Gripen E, it’s a big improvement over their current C version (Sweden is just now getting them). Again the infrastructure and training are already in place. Thailand probably does need new fighter bombers, but not stealth fighters. 

I’m sure your analysis of the quality and suitability of these various jets is accurate. However, what or who does Thailand think will invade them from the skies and what will two or even four F-35 do to combat that? To me, this is nothing more than a vanity project by the RTAF. Lots of picture on websites and window dressing to make them look like a first world country. Try educating your kids first. That would be a start to first world status. 

2 hours ago, Soidog said:

To me, this is nothing more than a vanity project by the RTAF.

I’m assuming they want new planes because theirs are so old. Old planes suffer metal fatigue, lack of spare parts etc. Those who aren’t cared for properly tend to fall out of the sky at some point. For example the US already replaced fuselage spars and critical joints in the B-52 fleet long ago, and are replacing the entire wings on the A-10 fleet. At this point it’s probably easier to get new planes than completely rehab their F-16s. Who would they fight? Your guess is as good as mind (as in no one). Still any county will want enough of an Air Force to at least act as a deterrent. Keeping in mind modern aircraft can’t just be ordered off the shelf. If the time comes you need them, you better already have them. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Poolie said:

860 in service and 5 have had major crashes or major incidents. That’s 0.58%. That’s not “Mostly”. But then of course you knew that. Keep invoicing the CCP

• Like 2