News Forum - Cathay Pacific boosts flights to Thailand

Thaiger

Hong Kong flag carrier Cathay Pacific Airways and its budget subsidiary Hong Kong Express are boosting flights to three major tourist destinations in Thailand: Bangkok, Phuket, and Chiang Mai. Cathay’s Hong Kong – Bangkok route will be increased from twice to four times per day next month, according to Chairman of Cathay Pacific Patrick Healy. In January, the airline will resume its Hong Kong – Chiang Mai service, said Healy. Hong Kong Express, Cathay’s budget offshoot airline, will operate 22 flights per week to Thailand to Bangkok, Phuket, and will also resume its Chiang Mai service in December. Healy said […]

The story Cathay Pacific boosts flights to Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

2 hours ago, palooka said:

Shutting down long haul flights for short haul. Political or financial?

Even before Covid, Cathay was having a lot of trouble

It was our preferred airline for a long time but they cut a lot of routes and then their pricing wasn't competitive, starting about 5-6 years ago

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Even before Covid, Cathay was having a lot of trouble

It was our preferred airline for a long time but they cut a lot of routes and then their pricing wasn't competitive, starting about 5-6 years ago

Hong Kong isn't a hugely popular destination any longer and therefore Cathay must rely on short haul ASEAN business and ONLY those long haul sectors which produce good loads both ways.  eg They recently dropped HKG to BNE and retained SYD MEL.  

I'd choose to fly Cathay anytime as they have a modern and comfortable fleet with excellent service, far ahead of anything Aus or NZ can offer.  BKK to Aus via HKG is an worthwhile consideration but avoid any NZ connection operated by AIRNZ as it is now a disgrace to my old country.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

Hong Kong isn't a hugely popular destination any longer and therefore Cathay must rely on short haul ASEAN business and ONLY those long haul sectors which produce good loads both ways.  eg They recently dropped HKG to BNE and retained SYD MEL.  

I'd choose to fly Cathay anytime as they have a modern and comfortable fleet with excellent service, far ahead of anything Aus or NZ can offer.  BKK to Aus via HKG is an worthwhile consideration but avoid any NZ connection operated by AIRNZ as it is now a disgrace to my old country.

Yeah but they were having issues even before all the HK-China issues

It really was my favorite airline I have ever fallen

I've shown up a few times the day afehr I was supposed to fly, got my dates mixed up, and they've put me on flights 

They used to meet Ao at the gate and take her to her connection gate in HK when Ao 1st started traveling to Canada 

The only issue I ever had is they tried to scam me at customs in DMK when I brought my dog and Cathay wouldn't help me at all and I felt their cargo crew was in cahoots 

I ended up getting my flight for the dog refunded and 2 biz trips by finding my way to the President's office phone!

• Like 1

Concur.  CX took the place of QR as my go-to airline for quite a few years after moving to Thailand full-time.  Had some lingering airline status (from work travel) and got pulled out of line a few times for happy upgrades into Business for Trans-Pac legs, which is always nice.  

They apparently started having some financial problems and seemed to me that's when their J-class and even PE fares began to climb over the competition.  Mainland China take over caused upheavals, labor and more money issues, and then the COVID bomb hit.    I'd already crossed CX off my list by then in favor of Japanese and Korea options.

Considered giving CX another go for my trip to the US this year but just couldn't pull the trigger.

10 hours ago, TWS60 said:

Concur.  CX took the place of QR as my go-to airline for quite a few years after moving to Thailand full-time.  Had some lingering airline status (from work travel) and got pulled out of line a few times for happy upgrades into Business for Trans-Pac legs, which is always nice.  

They apparently started having some financial problems and seemed to me that's when their J-class and even PE fares began to climb over the competition.  Mainland China take over caused upheavals, labor and more money issues, and then the COVID bomb hit.    I'd already crossed CX off my list by then in favor of Japanese and Korea options.

Considered giving CX another go for my trip to the US this year but just couldn't pull the trigger.

When I lived in Thailand in 2004/2005 I made a few trips back to US and that got me into CP Gold status

I would say I got "pinged" at the gate half the time for an upgrade to business for a couple years while Gold

• Like 1