News Forum - LIFE OF A SEX WORKER IN BANGKOK

Thaiger

https://youtu.be/Kgc8nUnQdew Sex tourism is something that happens around the world. A potentially unfortunate byproduct of the tourism industry, it’s particularly prevalent in tourism in Thailand. อัน sex worker Sex tourism is something that happens around the world. A potentially unfortunate byproduct of the tourism industry, it’s particularly prevalent in tourism in Thailand. Statistics for sex tourism in Thailand are hard to come by. Estimates suggest there are anywhere between 250,000 and 2 million sex workers in the country. Many still like to paint sex workers as a different class of people or tend to look down upon them; in this […]

The story LIFE OF A SEX WORKER IN BANGKOK as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Interesting video, but also quite deceptive.

As a long-term observer/visitor/resident of Thailand, I have 'made my peace' with prostitution (for want of a better way to put it). I wish Thai girls had better Educational and Employment opportunities, but the cold, hard reality is that few do, so I can't condemn them for doing what they can with what they have in getting ahead. As long as it isn't forced or underage, so be it.

However, the picture painted in the video does not, in my view, paint an accurate picture. Yes, some of the girls do well, get regular, wealthy foreign clients and perhaps make 100,000 a month, but I suspect that is not the norm.

I, and I think many/most members, have traveled extensively in Thailand and we have all seen that boarded up building (during daylight hours) either on the edge of any/all Thai towns or (in a remarkable coincidence) next to the local police station. Yup, that very same building opens after dark and there are always several Thai girls providing a variety of services for their Thai customers.

If Thaiger is going to create content on the issue of prostitution in Thailand, it should also do some work and/or interviews and shoot some film with those establishments. If the purpose of the video is to educate visitors and/or customers, it is better to provide a fuller, more accurate picture and include information on the (MUCH MUCH) larger local sex industry.

Showing only the foreign side is deceptive.

• Like 3

Names and places changed in this true story below:-

Tukta was born to a rural family in Udon Thani province and had very little schooling.  As her body developed, and aged approx 13, she had numerous encounters with local boys.  When her father left home (not sure why), Tukta's mother pimped her to local men until she fell pregnant at age 15.  Her mother demanded a dowry of 20,000 baht and Tukta went to live with him in a nearby village.  He abused her terribly until eventually dieing of alcoholic poisoning.  Tukta turned to selling herself.

Eventually, at the ripe old age of 18, Tukta met a young man, cousin of my wife.  Pan was hardworking and enjoyed a fair wage as gardener at the local PTT service centre.  Pan made Tukta pregnant and was forced to marry her, once again for a dowry of 20k.  She was no glamour, had a nice body, but poorly educated yet she made Pan a good wife and they are still together 10 years on.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Statistics for sex tourism in Thailand are hard to come by.

might have found a better way of putting it there .. 

3 hours ago, Thaiger said:

• Haha 2

A potentially unfortunate byproduct of the tourism industry, it’s particularly prevalent in tourism in Thailand.

Unfortunate by product ?????

It kick started the Thai tourist industry, think the Germans may have been the first with charter flights and the Thai economy has made trillions of baht off the industry. Tourists don't go stay in Pattaya for the sunshine, a lot never see the sun/daylight when here.🤣

• Like 2

On 11/5/2022 at 2:37 PM, palooka said:

It kick started the Thai tourist industry, think the Germans may have been the first with charter flights and the Thai economy has made trillions of baht off the industry. Tourists don't go stay in Pattaya for the sunshine, a lot never see the sun/daylight when here.🤣

Exactly. Even if they like pretending it's the beaches or whatever else that's drawing tourists, even tourists who *aren't* looking for sex go to places like Pattaya to watch the action. Plenty of tourist couples in bars etc. There's plenty of places with nice beaches - some cheaper and some more expensive than Thailand - but most young people come to Thailand for the nightlife and action and carefree "anything goes" attitudes (at least that impression), not beaches.

Also- yes, the local Thai-on-Thai (or Lao/Burmese/Malay) prostitution industry is bigger than the tourist one by an order of magnitude. Girls sell themselves for 500 baht, easily, it's only the smarter ones (or those who got pushed into it by someone) who realize they can make 5x or even 10x times more by targeting foreigners. Then again sitting in a shop waiting for a walk-in requires no thinking and effort - never underestimate how lazy some people can be.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pinga said:

Exactly. Even if they like pretending it's the beaches or whatever else that's drawing tourists, even tourists who *aren't* looking for sex go to places like Pattaya to watch the action. Plenty of tourist couples in bars etc. There's plenty of places with nice beaches - some cheaper and some more expensive than Thailand - but most young people come to Thailand for the nightlife and action and carefree "anything goes" attitudes (at least that impression), not beaches.

Even though this is a lot of truth in what you say, Thailand averaged 35mil tourists/yr

The vast majority(90%?) would never set foot in a p4p bar

I'd also wouldn't lump young people going to Thailand for nightlife into the p4p scene either, it's an entirely different scene, for the most part

• Like 2

On 11/4/2022 at 10:45 PM, Shade_Wilder said:

Interesting video, but also quite deceptive.

As a long-term observer/visitor/resident of Thailand, I have 'made my peace' with prostitution (for want of a better way to put it). I wish Thai girls had better Educational and Employment opportunities, but the cold, hard reality is that few do, so I can't condemn them for doing what they can with what they have in getting ahead. As long as it isn't forced or underage, so be it.

However, the picture painted in the video does not, in my view, paint an accurate picture. Yes, some of the girls do well, get regular, wealthy foreign clients and perhaps make 100,000 a month, but I suspect that is not the norm.

I, and I think many/most members, have traveled extensively in Thailand and we have all seen that boarded up building (during daylight hours) either on the edge of any/all Thai towns or (in a remarkable coincidence) next to the local police station. Yup, that very same building opens after dark and there are always several Thai girls providing a variety of services for their Thai customers.

If Thaiger is going to create content on the issue of prostitution in Thailand, it should also do some work and/or interviews and shoot some film with those establishments. If the purpose of the video is to educate visitors and/or customers, it is better to provide a fuller, more accurate picture and include information on the (MUCH MUCH) larger local sex industry.

Showing only the foreign side is deceptive.

But they are talking about sex tourism

Sure, it's all related, sort of shows the ease at which the country is with the whole p4p

But then it's a very different scene entirely

The tourist vs Thai local scene

I doubt you have many local Thai guys ending up with Thai girls that work local bars 

But if you dive deep down into it, it is all pretty fascinating, IMO

Due to the foreign scene where the farang tend to get "more involved"

My wife was a BG

And it's all a mixed bag

Her and a few of her friends settled down with farang and had a good life 

But many of her friends just couldn't find enough attraction towards farangs and left the scene and ended up with Thai guys and a lot of them have hard lifes,  just barely getting by

I also think a lot of the girls are like chameleons, a lot of them could conform to the gut they ended up with 

Because I honestly think a lot of BG's are pretty intelligent 

And if they meet the right guy who pushes them and encourages them, they can flourish

But there is a sad, dark side 

So it's a complicated and fascinating subject 

I think there a lot more success stories than people realize 

But the sheer amount of girls out there means there is a lot more girls that didn't find "success"