News Forum - AoT bans lanterns near airports for upcoming festivals

Thaiger

Loy Krathong is upon us, and with it, Yi Peng, the lantern festival. Thousands of lighter-than-air lanterns drift up into the sky in a peaceful show for celebrating onlookers. But the Airports of Thailand has issued a reminder warning that flying lanterns are strictly banned in the areas around the six main airports in Thailand. As beautiful and tranquil as the lantern-filled sky can be, unregulated flying objects can be a major hazard to both inbound and outbound flights if they drift into airport flight paths. The AoT circulated the warning prior to the festival on Tuesday. They say that […]

The story AoT bans lanterns near airports for upcoming festivals as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I don’t think the AOT have any authority to ban or enforce a ban such as this. If it’s within the perimeter of the airport then I’m sure they can, but how will they police something 2km away and lanterns drifting in to airspace? Instead of using such confrontational and condescending tones, an explanation of the dangers it poses and the likely outcome for people of they cause an air crash would be far more beneficial. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Soidog said:

I don’t think the AOT have any authority to ban or enforce a ban such as this. If it’s within the perimeter of the airport then I’m sure they can, but how will they police something 2km away and lanterns drifting in to airspace? Instead of using such confrontational and condescending tones, an explanation of the dangers it poses and the likely outcome for people of they cause an air crash would be far more beneficial. 

No, the AOT probably don't have any authority to implement or enforce a ban like this - that would be down to whatever body regulates civil aviation in Thailand. As would be advisories to airlines - such as the one that used to be issued (still is?) by the the UK CAA for Diwali for airports in the Birmingham area. Just another example of the shoddy journalism that has been an increasing part of the Thaiger's output since they and their founder parted company?   

• Like 2