News Forum - Cricket ice cream, anyone? Another quirky food at APEC Summit in Bangkok

Thaiger

On top of noodles with sandworm sauce, another adventurous food is competing at the APEC Summit in Bangkok this month: cricket ice cream.  The cricket ice cream is one of several “future foods” competing in the “plate to planet” competition.  The competition’s website describes the ice cream, called ProTim Magnet, as a Magnum-style ice cream. It is made with crickets, ginger protein, rice milk, peas, and coconut milk.  ProTim Magnet is high in protein and vitamin B, the website says. It is also said to focus on local raw materials for sustainability. Protim Magnet’s description goes on to say… “ProTim […]

The story Cricket ice cream, anyone? Another quirky food at APEC Summit in Bangkok as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Would you be brave enough to try crickets or sandworms? 

Tried both, crickets ---pass thank you.   Worms not my favourite but will partake for social reasons.

• Like 1

Have a neighbour who harvests crickets and sells them fresh or in frozen 1kg blocks, does very well with vans collecting regularly for Bangkok. 

Crickets do have this unappealing smell, locals tend to fry them in oil which stinks, maybe Just my sensitive nose.

14 hours ago, palooka said:

Have a neighbour who harvests crickets and sells them fresh or in frozen 1kg blocks, does very well with vans collecting regularly for Bangkok. 

Crickets do have this unappealing smell, locals tend to fry them in oil which stinks, maybe Just my sensitive nose.

I enjoyed the fried crickets in Bangkok they had a nutty taste,  the smell didn't bother me, I have a husband that enjoys beer! 😉

• Like 1