News Forum - Police remove illegal food and drink venues at Phuket beach

Thaiger

Police have on Wednesday removed illegal food and drink venues from a beach in Phuket‘s Thalang district. The police found three venues on Layan Beach that were providing food and drinks, as well as beach chairs, sunbeds, and umbrellas.  Two people who said they were owners of two of the outlets were arrested for seeling alcohol without permission, and violating the Land Code and the Forest Act. Police then confiscated the tables, chairs, and sunbeds, The Phuket News reported. They warned that the encroaching structures would be demolished.  Eviction notices were served in 2017 when the Supreme Court ruled that […]

The story Police remove illegal food and drink venues at Phuket beach as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

What a joke. Nothing like getting your priorities right. Thailand doesn’t have a clue how to make the most of its beautiful beaches. Not a clue ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

What a joke. Nothing like getting your priorities right. Thailand doesn’t have a clue how to make the most of its beautiful beaches. Not a clue ! 

Getting rid of these squatters/thieves is a step in the right direction.  And by using the term thief, I am referring to their illegal presence squatting on the land without paying taxes, or upkeep. I will be surprised if the electricity used is through a legal hookup to the grid, and if the "bars" have proper waste disposal . They "rent" out the right to sit on a public beach by grabbing space with their tables and chairs, in effect stealing money from people who would otherwise use the beach without paying to them. There are legal F&B facilities on the other side of the road. The mistake of these bars is that they were thumbing their noses at the BangTao  hospitality sector, which has worked very hard to keep the area clean,tout free and which generates a lot of tax revenue for Phuket.

1 hour ago, Vigo said:

Getting rid of these squatters/thieves is a step in the right direction.  And by using the term thief, I am referring to their illegal presence squatting on the land without paying taxes, or upkeep. I will be surprised if the electricity used is through a legal hookup to the grid, and if the "bars" have proper waste disposal . They "rent" out the right to sit on a public beach by grabbing space with their tables and chairs, in effect stealing money from people who would otherwise use the beach without paying to them. There are legal F&B facilities on the other side of the road. The mistake of these bars is that they were thumbing their noses at the BangTao  hospitality sector, which has worked very hard to keep the area clean,tout free and which generates a lot of tax revenue for Phuket.

Although I don't necessarily disagree with you, I do think Thailand is sorely lacking in beach atmosphere in a lot of places

Tourists want feet in the sand, on the beach bars/restaurants

And it seems Thailand beaches either have none or allow the whole beach to be blocked(Samui)

In this picture of Layan Beach, it looks great, but wouldn't mind a few casual bars/restaurants on the sands edge

I thought Koh Lak Long Beach was perfect

A couple casual Thai restaurants

Some of the high end hotels had small beach bars 

Not overcrowding the beach but a nice vibe

https://be-friend-restaurant.business.site/

"Eviction notices were served in 2017"

Took them 5 years to deal with these people who weren't even running or hiding. I wonder how much 'tea money' was paid during those 5 years?

14 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

"Eviction notices were served in 2017"

Took them 5 years to deal with these people who weren't even running or hiding. I wonder how much 'tea money' was paid during those 5 years?

5 years seems to be the normal time.

Nui Beach, near Black Rock, needed also 5 years to get the illegal buildings crushed.

Mmmhhh, did anyone check, how it is looking 2 years AFTER that? 😇