News Forum - Starbucks makes its Laos debut with unique local touches

Thaiger

Starbucks has today made its Laos debut, opening its first store in the country. The store opened in Lao’s capital of Vientiane at Parskon Mall, an office and shopping development in the heart of the city. The new Starbucks hopes to contribute to Laos’s thriving coffee culture. The store’s architecture is uniquely Laotian, there is a handcrafted, textured door handle. The ceiling of the  entire store is covered with  scale wood tiles.  In honour of Laos’s folklore, a local artist has hand-painted a colourful, vibrant piece of a siren in the store. The siren is painted holding a coffee branch. […]

The story Starbucks makes its Laos debut with unique local touches as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

Not good news for them, they will get to sample what truly terrible coffee taste's like, at exorbitant prices.   Who do they think is going to be paying for the 'unique décor', yep, the customers. 

• Like 1

Strange how a simple drink everyone has made at home for hundreds of years is now an international craze.  People need jobs that serve food.  Coffee is not necessary for life, food is.  Lets celebrate the street food and independent restaurants - NOT the Mega Corporations providing us with unnecessary drinks

• Like 2

Since Laos grows excellent coffee, and there are plenty of coffee shops that can make it well, that is one country where I will not be bothering with Starbucks. Starbucks coffee is mediocre, but it is predictable, it tastes the same everywhere, so I tend to choose it in countries where good coffee is hard to find - like Thailand.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ExpatPattaya said:

Strange how a simple drink everyone has made at home for hundreds of years is now an international craze. 

Who in god's name drinks this adulterated crap they serve as coffee, full of sugar, artificial sweeteners mixed with who knows what, to get "subliminal tastes" that totally destroys the true taste of coffee.

3 hours ago, Grumpish said:

so I tend to choose it in countries where good coffee is hard to find - like Thailand.   

There are 3 independent coffee places near to me, one in of all places Big C Extra,  that serve Thai grown coffee and it is superb.  Its easy to find if you look hard enough. 

1 hour ago, Pinetree said:

There are 3 independent coffee places near to me, one in of all places Big C Extra,  that serve Thai grown coffee and it is superb.  Its easy to find if you look hard enough. 

I am not a huge coffee drinker but my wife is and we find great cafes all over Thailand

Small ones and the ever popular Coffee Club, which can be pretty expensive but i think the food is fantastic

• Like 1