News Forum - The history of Thailand’s lottery

Thaiger

Almost all forms of gambling are illegal in Thailand, but one exception is the country’s lottery. The bi-monthly lottery draw has brought great fortunes to a handful of people. The next draw is coming up tomorrow, and you might be interested in learning some fun facts about its history.  The lottery first began in 1874 on King Chulalongkorn’s birthday. The king had given the Royal Bodyguard Department permission to operate a European-style lottery.  In 1917, lotteries started to allow a group of Thai citizens to buy tickets into the British Patriotic Council Lottery. Tickets cost 5 baht, and prizes came […]

The story The history of Thailand’s lottery as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Skip said:

And why does the government allow tickets to be sold at 100 baht when the official price is 80 baht... the poor just keep getting poorer

A 25% mark-up may be a lot

But any outlet around the world selling Govt lottery tickets make some sort of commission doing so

4 hours ago, Skip said:

And why does the government allow tickets to be sold at 100 baht when the official price is 80 baht... the poor just keep getting poorer

Buy them online and it's 80 baht.

2 hours ago, Marc26 said:

But any outlet around the world selling Govt lottery tickets make some sort of commission doing so

Nope. In the Uk the vendor does not change the official price which is what we're talking about here. 

11 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

Nope. In the Uk the vendor does not change the official price which is what we're talking about here. 

I am confused by that

But the vendor is making a commission

So if they selling for a $1.00, that is not the official price, it would be cheaper

So UK, US just does it different

Again, not 25% though, like Thailand

15 hours ago, Skip said:

Exactly. Why not get it all sorted on line or through online retail machines in places like 7/11 and kill the 100 baht rip off overnight. 

3 hours ago, Soidog said:

Exactly. Why not get it all sorted on line or through online retail machines in places like 7/11 and kill the 100 baht rip off overnight. 

You can now buy tickets online. Started a few months back. Limited numbers at first, but now increased a bit. 

In fact Street vendors have been complaining about the online sites. 

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/lottery-vendors-complain-of-unsold-tickets-after-the-launch-of-digital-sales/

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Marc26 said:

Yes... that commission is factored into the 80b price... the rest is price gouging.

19 hours ago, TheDirtyDurian said:

I personally do not participate in the lottery... my question still stands... why does the government allow for price gouging?

53 minutes ago, Skip said:

I personally do not participate in the lottery... my question still stands... why does the government allow for price gouging?

It is called capitalism. The lottery is not a public service. It is gambling and you gotta pay to play.

9 hours ago, Soidog said:

And what happens to the disabled or “unemployable” low income earners that rely solely on the money they earn from selling lottery tickets? “She who can do no wrong” buys tickets but only from the disabled guy at our local 7/11 because he’s a God awful mess. 

10 minutes ago, Fanta said:

And what happens to the disabled or “unemployable” low income earners that rely solely on the money they earn from selling lottery tickets? “She who can do no wrong” buys tickets but only from the disabled guy at our local 7/11 because he’s a God awful mess. 

Well I totally agree that there are many things wrong that if you stop them impact people. Sadly the impact is often felt by those at the bottom of the economy. What do you do though? Allow these things to go unaddressed?  It’s the same with kids selling drinks and food walking in and out of cars at traffic lights. Clearly dangerous but a means of income. At some point the country needs to grow the economy and establish support or better incomes for people. The flip side of that of course is that you don’t want to end up like many developed countries where it is marginal if it’s even worth working or just let the state support you. 

On 11/2/2022 at 6:25 AM, Fanta said:

It is called capitalism. The lottery is not a public service. It is gambling and you gotta pay to play.

That's just not true... the lottery is a government sponsored program and has rules and regulations in place including price of tickets... charges other than the government set price is illegal, yet tolerated... WHY?

2 minutes ago, Skip said:

That's just not true... the lottery is a government sponsored program and has rules and regulations in place including price of tickets... charges other than the government set price is illegal, yet tolerated... WHY?

The lottery is gambling. Because some of the ticket sellers are disabled, blind they need the financial help. It beats begging and if people don’t agree to the retailers price then they don’t have to buy. It’s 20 baht….. 

• 10 months later...
On 11/1/2022 at 10:03 AM, TheDirtyDurian said:

Saw your post, how the hell do you buy thai lotto tkts online, i have tried everything but can't find anything ,the paotang requires an i.d card,the GLO site gives no options that i can see. Also the GLO App only has thai i.d to register. Any help please.