News Forum - Grand scam – Beware of fake banknotes circulating in Udon Thani

Thaiger

Police are warning the public against counterfeit 1,000-baht banknotes that have been found circulating in the sweaty expat paradise of Udon Thani province. Police spokesman Pol Maj Gen Archayon Kraithong said there had been several reports of counterfeit bills in the province. Two cases were posted to social media, the first involving a barbecue restaurant and another at a grocery store. PM Prayut Chan-o-cha has warned about fake 1000-baht notes before, urging anyone who finds them to hand them back to commercial banks. The key to identifying the fakes is to examine the golden security strip embedded in all 1,000-baht […]

The story Grand scam – Beware of fake banknotes circulating in Udon Thani as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Inadvertent attempts to pass fake bills can result in up 10 years imprisonment and/or a fine of up to 20,000 baht, with no let offs for ingenuous foreigners”.

So a tourist arrives in Thailand, change’s some currency and without realising is given a fake note, inadvertently tries to spend it and he/she is possibly going to prison and paying a fine.

Definition - INADVERTENTLY - 

Unintentionally; without meaning to - Through lack of attention.

Or just plain not used to handling Thai money.

Potentially another dent in the recovery of tourism. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BBY said:

Inadvertent attempts to pass fake bills can result in up 10 years imprisonment and/or a fine of up to 20,000 baht, with no let offs for ingenuous foreigners”.

So a tourist arrives in Thailand, change’s some currency and without realising is given a fake note, inadvertently tries to spend it and he/she is possibly going to prison and paying a fine.

Definition - INADVERTENTLY - 

Unintentionally; without meaning to - Through lack of attention.

Or just plain not used to handling Thai money.

Add this to the list of bizarre Thai laws. To be honest, in the last 8 years, I can't recall ever once receiving a 1000 bank note as part of my day to day. I'm either paying with my bank app or with 1000 notes I received from the bank, but never receiving 1000 notes. Risk is pretty low for me. 100 and 500 notes would be a different story. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cabra said:

Add this to the list of bizarre Thai laws. To be honest, in the last 8 years, I can't recall ever once receiving a 1000 bank note as part of my day to day. I'm either paying with my bank app or with 1000 notes I received from the bank, but never receiving 1000 notes. Risk is pretty low for me. 100 and 500 notes would be a different story. 

Agreed, theoretically as the 1000B note is the highest denomination, other than taking it in payment, you can’t really receive it as change. So those at the highest risk are tourists receiving it from money changing booth’s. Even legitimate ones, because we all know the lack of focus and the unfortunate levels of corruption that exist, making an unsuspecting tourist is a prime target. 

So it’s Tourists beware, or go somewhere where you will not be sent to prison and fined because somebody else has scammed you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BBY said:

Even legitimate ones, because we all know the lack of focus and the unfortunate levels of corruption that exist, making an unsuspecting tourist is a prime target. 

There are certainly licensed exchange booths I'd avoid. My advise is stay with SuperRich. Not only is SR the largest and most well know, but also consistently with the best rates. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...