News Forum - Manhole cover in Pattaya explodes, smashes into bus

Thaiger

Authorities are investigating the cause behind a freak accident in Pattaya that shot a manhole cover into the air and damaged a bus. The exploding manhole cover was captured on film yesterday as it popped several metres in the air and crashed down on a local baht bus. The driver of the bus was understandably shaken up by the incident but no injuries were reported. The manhole cover suddenly exploded around 2 pm yesterday for unknown reasons and was launched approximately five metres in the air. The incident took place near the Shell petrol station on Sukhumvit road near Moo […]

The story Manhole cover in Pattaya explodes, smashes into bus as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Most likely hydrogen sulphide or methane gas build up. Underground ducts and sewage drains need adequate ventilation to stop the build up. Too often people cover drains with matting to stop the smell. Unfortunately this allows the gas to build up to dangerous and explosive levels. I’m surprised this doesn’t happen more often. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thaiger said:

Authorities are investigating the cause behind a freak accident in Pattaya that shot a manhole cover into the air and damaged a bus. The exploding manhole cover was captured on film yesterday as it popped several metres in the air and crashed down on a local baht bus. The driver of the bus was understandably shaken up by the incident but no injuries were reported. The manhole cover suddenly exploded around 2 pm yesterday for unknown reasons and was launched approximately five metres in the air. The incident took place near the Shell petrol station on Sukhumvit road near Moo […]

The story Manhole cover in Pattaya explodes, smashes into bus as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I nearly exploded a manhole on my first trip to Pattaya. A spicy noodle dish for dinner and a night of buying drinks on Soi 6 for a tall Thai woman almost did me in.

• Haha 2