News Forum - Thai Airways refunds possible, reorganisation approved

Thaiger

Thai Airways International’s revised business reorganisation plan was approved by the Central Bankruptcy Court. The plan was submitted last month and the airline will now start on a course of financial restructuring. Does this mean everyone waiting for a refund from the Covid-19 pandemic and before Thailand’s flagship airline declared bankruptcy will finally get their money back? It is reported that part of the deal reached on Thursday with the bankruptcy court was to begin refunding customers who bought tickets before Thai Airways moved in May of this year to file bankruptcy. But don’t start your shopping spree yet, the […]

The story Thai Airways refunds possible, reorganisation approved as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

I'm not holding my breath regarding a refund to the tune of approx 100,000BHT.

Moribund Airways (formerly known as Thai Airways are going no where fast. Landing at BKK several weeks ago, the amount of Thai planes doing nothing made it look like a passenger plane graveyard.

No surprise that Thai Airways offices in CM is up for sale or rent. Nice good size modern building but who in the current climate going to buy or rent this, or will it be a gift from Prayut to his friend Xi?

40 minutes ago, Havana said:

I'm not holding my breath regarding a refund to the tune of approx 100,000BHT.

Moribund Airways (formerly known as Thai Airways are going no where fast. Landing at BKK several weeks ago, the amount of Thai planes doing nothing made it look like a passenger plane graveyard.

No surprise that Thai Airways offices in CM is up for sale or rent. Nice good size modern building but who in the current climate going to buy or rent this, or will it be a gift from Prayut to his friend Xi?

Too many aircraft of too many different types has long been a problem for Thai Airways, a result of of the traditional Thai management regime of nepotism, cronyism, and outright corruption. 

• Like 3

I don’t know the creditors or the structure of the old or new debt. It’s clear the size of debt was potentially too big to let it fail. That said, I would love to see what the new plans are and how they intend to overcome the many issues Thai has been dogged by over the years. Chief of which is corruption and cronyism. What was the debt restructure action plan around these two major issues? I would imagine within 12 months we will be go through another cycle and a government bail out. Until large Thai businesses learn the importance of get the best people in the world to manage your globally connected businesses and not just the best Thai to manage it, then they will always struggle. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

Until large Thai businesses learn the importance of get the best people in the world to manage your globally connected businesses and not just the best Thai to manage it, then they will always struggle. 

Nepotism, cronyism, corruption and also incompetence. I am still waiting for replies to email(s) dating back to June (with regular follow-ups) relating to lack of service from their Sydney office. It is getting to the stage that  I am considering going to government mediation - for all the good that will do!

• Like 2

I am disappointed to see that TG is still playing with the client refund.  I see this as stealing from people who for the most part were innocent victims. Why would anyone in their right mind have faith in the carrier for future travel, with such an outcome? One has to be a sucker to pay TG for a TG issued ticket.

The only way to partially protect oneself  is to purchase the TG flight using another airline's paper.  For example if flying to Germany, Lufthansa sells TG seats and will issue the ticket with the  LH code 220, or if flying via Japan ANA code 205, or Air Canada 014 etc. It is the airline that issues the ticket who is responsible for refunds and rebooking.  Obviously, this will not work 100% or for pure domestic, but if purchasing an international flight it will mitigate risk exposure.

• Like 1