LTR Visa Application - Thoughts?

skiba11

I have applied for the LTR under work from Thailand professional, currently my application is not moving, has anyone made any progress?

Also, there are flaws in the application system, multiple areas of text I have entered do not appear when I click the 'summary' button so if the reviewer uses that they will think I have missed a bunch of required fields which is not the case. Reminds of Thailand pass all over again in terms of the initial UI/API issues.

I received my LTR-WFT visa today, original application date was 05 Sep 2022. The 'summary' button feature is not working well but from my experience doesn't impact the data submission to BOI. They are quite busy with applications and had some prolonged computer system issues but it starts flowing better now. Best is to give them a call under the numbers listed on the pop-up window on their website, by far the most effective channel to get an update and push things along.

• 1 year later...

I obtained an LTR-Wealthy Pensioner (LTR-WP) visa ... my case was a bit unusual and it took me close to 5-months to get it, from an application started in January of this year, and only picking up the Visa (in Bangkok) in June of this year.  But I had a number of 'glitches' along the way, slowing down the process, which is why it took time.

With the new potential change coming with Thailand government planing to tax residents in Thailand could mean the LTR-WP visa is one way to legally not to have to pay such a tax on money brought into Thailand, although at this stage I don't believe it to be certain.  Purportedly when asked, the Thailand Board of Investment (BoI) who manage the LTR visa, advised they planned to work with the Thailand revenue department to ensure the LTR-WP visa holders are exempt from having to pay tax on money the LTR-WP visa holders bring into Thailand.  I guess time will tell.

26 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

I obtained an LTR-Wealthy Pensioner (LTR-WP) visa ... my case was a bit unusual and it took me close to 5-months to get it, from an application started in January of this year, and only picking up the Visa (in Bangkok) in June of this year.  But I had a number of 'glitches' along the way, slowing down the process, which is why it took time.

With the new potential change coming with Thailand government planing to tax residents in Thailand could mean the LTR-WP visa is one way to legally not to have to pay such a tax on money brought into Thailand, although at this stage I don't believe it to be certain.  Purportedly when asked, the Thailand Board of Investment (BoI) who manage the LTR visa, advised they planned to work with the Thailand revenue department to ensure the LTR-WP visa holders are exempt from having to pay tax on money the LTR-WP visa holders bring into Thailand.  I guess time will tell.

Both are separate entities, so they will need to sit down and hash it out as the new law comes after the LTR visa implementation. What I have said countless times on this forum and others is there is no way to enforce this new law now. Enforcement is the key. For more details on the new law, read my post: 

3 minutes ago, TLP said:

Both are separate entities, so they will need to sit down and hash it out as the new law comes after the LTR visa implementation. What I have said countless times on this forum and others is there is no way to enforce this new law now. Enforcement is the key. For more details on the new law, read my post: 

I was talking to an expat last week, who has been in Thailand for almost 3 decades. He told me there was a time, for foreigners to leave Thailand, where in their passport it was clear that they were a resident (for tax purposes) that they had to provide a document to prove they were ok with Thai taxes.  Else if they did not have such, they had major problems with immigration when trying to leave Thailand.

They had to get this proof of taxes paid, BEFORE they left the country.   I was told by this expat that caused mass annoyance, and it was eventually dropped - but something like that could again be implemented.

Also, its possible ( and this is pure speculation ) that for 1-year visa extensions, one may in the future be required to show some sort of tax documents.  Again, speculation, but these are enforcement possibilities.

I do agree it could be difficult - but given this is Thailand, I honestly don't predict how it will pan out.

My hope is things don't change in regard to taxation proof/requirements for expatriates.