News Forum - Abbot crashes into motorbike killing village chief’s daughter in northeast Thailand

Thaiger

The abbot of a famous temple pulled out onto the main road causing a motorbike to crash into his car in Khon Kaen province, northeast Thailand, yesterday afternoon. The village headman’s 23 year old daughter died in the crash and her brother was injured. The 74 year old monk, Phra Sen Sikayom, is the acting abbot of Wat Suwannaram in Bang Khu Rong. He said he drove a Mazda sedan to Ban Phai to undertake some monastic duties. He was on his way home when the accident happened. The abbot said he slowed down to turn left onto the main road. […]

The story Abbot crashes into motorbike killing village chief’s daughter in northeast Thailand as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

There is a strong possibility that the pillion rider never wear safety helmets. By looking at the picture, the impact of the vehicle could be minimal. However the pillion rider had encountered a head injury due to fall from the impact of the accident, which is the common fatal injury in motorcycle accident. Unless it is strictly enforced, such fatal incidences cannot be avoided, especially accidents that involve motorcycles.  

He probably turned left Thai style. Which is basically not to even look right and just turn left on to the road. 

This is one of probably 30 or more similar stories that will happen throughout  the country, TODAY. It is utterly shameless how the Thai government are doing nothing, and I mean nothing to address this carnage. 

• Like 3

The monk did not have a driver’s license. Thai law forbids monks from having driver’s licenses because the monastic code does not allow monks to drive or own vehicles to prevent accidents.

If it wasn't a abbot I think I know, what would be the result of "who's fault was it".

33 minutes ago, Soidog said:

He probably turned left Thai style. Which is basically not to even look right and just turn left on to the road. 

Just car drivers aren't rarely staying on the left side/lane, if doing that. And 74 years old may have done the rest, even IF he looked to the right: from not seeing someone to start driving, that is , "perhaps", not F1 Start reaction times

• Like 2

Monks, but not all, break the rules all of the time. Driving is just one of them. It's almost sacrilegious how many vices they have, including molbile phones.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HolyCowCm said:

Monks, but not all, break the rules all of the time. Driving is just one of them. It's almost sacrilegious how many vices they have, including molbile phones.

I agree. Frankly it’s laughable just how much goes on. Another example of the two faces that Thailand presents itself as to the world. Monks are given privileged status and many Thais, particularly female have to follow archaic practices in their presence. Meanwhile they go about their business with many being Monks for little more than a week. 

Some years ago a Thai friend asked me to attend a gathering to celebrate their son becoming a monk. I naturally assumed this was a step he was taking which could potentially last a life time. I was left gobsmacked to learn he had simply arranged a week away from work while he became a monk. A week later he was back at work, back in his pick-up and back in the local nightclub. Amazing Thailand 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Some years ago a Thai friend asked me to attend a gathering to celebrate their son becoming a monk. I naturally assumed this was a step he was taking which could potentially last a life time. I was left gobsmacked to learn he had simply arranged a week away from work while he became a monk. A week later he was back at work, back in his pick-up and back in the local nightclub. Amazing Thailand 

What is wrong with that? They don't present it as a lifelong commitment.

It is a time period where they go to reflect(well are supposed to)

Don't see it being much different than me taking Confirmation classes as a teenager to be "Confirmed" in the Catholic church, just in a different order

Many practicing Buddhists will take time in the temple at different times to reflect or make merit

My wife goes to the temple for 2-3 days every 2-3 years.....sort of a reset

PS........I am not a fan of any religions and have the same feelings toward monks and the archaic practices towards females as well

I remember when 1st meeting my wife we went to a Temple and I could go get blessed by the Monk and she couldn't...........That left me gobsmacked, it's not even my religion!

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

What is wrong with that? They don't present it as a lifelong commitment.

It is a time period where they go to reflect(well are supposed to)

Don't see it being much different than me taking Confirmation classes as a teenager to be "Confirmed" in the Catholic church, just in a different order

Many practicing Buddhists will take time in the temple at different times to reflect or make merit

My wife goes to the temple for 2-3 days every 2-3 years.....sort of a reset

PS........I am not a fan of any religions and have the same feelings toward monks and the archaic practices towards females as well

I remember when 1st meeting my wife we went to a Temple and I could go get blessed by the Monk and she couldn't...........That left me gobsmacked, it's not even my religion!

I think it’s more to do with how it’s presented. “Becoming a Monk”. These one week retreats aren’t a change of life and “becoming a monk”. They are, as you suggest, a weeks retreat for their own self reflection. During that week they take their outside world iPhones with them and generally carry on with the same approach to life as they did previously. 

The rest we seem to agree on….

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soidog said:

I think it’s more to do with how it’s presented. “Becoming a Monk”. These one week retreats aren’t a change of life and “becoming a monk”. They are, as you suggest, a weeks retreat for their own self reflection. During that week they take their outside world iPhones with them and generally carry on with the same approach to life as they did previously. 

The rest we seem to agree on….

I think "becoming a monk" term is the rudimentary way a lot of Thais speak, there is a more formal word/phrasing for it

My wife calls it "for be a Monk"

Which I can't fault that since if I understood Thai better, she'd likely phrase it a more proper way

6 hours ago, Marc26 said:

I think "becoming a monk" term is the rudimentary way a lot of Thais speak, there is a more formal word/phrasing for it

My wife calls it "for be a Monk"

Which I can't fault that since if I understood Thai better, she'd likely phrase it a more proper way

Well I often give Thais the benefit of the doubt and say it must be lost in translation. Especially the words that come from the mouths of politicians. It’s the only way I can stop myself from thinking they I’m living in a mad house 😉

24 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Well I often give Thais the benefit of the doubt and say it must be lost in translation. Especially the words that come from the mouths of politicians. It’s the only way I can stop myself from thinking they I’m living in a mad house 😉

I grew up in the Catholic church

Did all the steps....communion, CCD studies 

And most of us looked at Confirmation in our teens as the last thing we were forced to do 

Like most things around the world,  I think "becoming a Monk" is lost on the young 

Thais would be much better served to "become a Monk" and take a break to reflect for a week or so at the Temple when they are a bit older 

• Like 1

Religions and their adherents are the greatest evil the human species ever invented. Wars, misery, bullying, suppression , corruption, manipulation and sexual deviations can be laid at their collective doorsteps.  I have no time for any of them, or the deluded folk that follow their fairy tails and mystic BS.  Once dated a committed Christian girl, until she told me that she was a Christian.  I told her that I don't date mentally challenged ladies and that was that.    

• Confused 1

On 10/17/2022 at 10:19 PM, Soidog said:

I agree. Frankly it’s laughable just how much goes on. Another example of the two faces that Thailand presents itself as to the world. Monks are given privileged status and many Thais, particularly female have to follow archaic practices in their presence. Meanwhile they go about their business with many being Monks for little more than a week. 

Yeah, my son says he will not become a monk unless one of us as mom and dad passes away. I can respect that. As for me, if I pass away he doesn't even have to do that. Religion as Buddhists here seem to be taking a down swing with the kids as they are not buying intt to it like the days of old. I think they see these monks as horse and pony show people.

• Like 1

"The vast majority of monks in Thailand only do so temporarily, taking on short term ordinations for any period between a week to three months. Short term ordinations are somewhat unique to Thai Buddhism, with the practice neither common nor expected in many other Buddhist nations.

Thai men can enter a monastery at any stage in their life. However, doing so before marriage is often seen as a sign that a man will be a devoted and thoughtful husband, able to guide his wife on the right path. Some women may even not consent to marry a man who has not ordained, with those who have spent time as a monk is considered ‘ripe’.

Traditionally, parents in Thailand play a big part in choosing spouses for their children. It is not uncommon for a woman’s family to look unfavourably upon a suitor who has not spent time in a monastery. For them, displaying a willingness to live a simple life and learn more about the Buddhist faith can say much about a man’s character."

Source: www.theculturetrip.com

2 hours ago, Cabra said:

"The vast majority of monks in Thailand only do so temporarily, taking on short term ordinations for any period between a week to three months. Short term ordinations are somewhat unique to Thai Buddhism, with the practice neither common nor expected in many other Buddhist nations.

Thai men can enter a monastery at any stage in their life. However, doing so before marriage is often seen as a sign that a man will be a devoted and thoughtful husband, able to guide his wife on the right path. Some women may even not consent to marry a man who has not ordained, with those who have spent time as a monk is considered ‘ripe’.

Traditionally, parents in Thailand play a big part in choosing spouses for their children. It is not uncommon for a woman’s family to look unfavourably upon a suitor who has not spent time in a monastery. For them, displaying a willingness to live a simple life and learn more about the Buddhist faith can say much about a man’s character."

My wife has 4 brothers and her family didn't have money to throw a party for them to become monks

Later, when they were all in the mid to late 20's, their Aunt, who had no children, wanted to pay for them to "become monks"

I guess as some sort of merit making for herself.........

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cabra said:

Interesting read. Having read it, and seen such phrases as “able to guide his wife on the right path”, I thought it would be dated 1922, not 2022

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marc26 said:

My wife has 4 brothers and her family didn't have money to throw a party for them to become monks

Later, when they were all in the mid to late 20's, their Aunt, who had no children, wanted to pay for them to "become monks"

I guess as some sort of merit making for herself.........

Anyone know why there has to be a party when a son goes off to be a Monk for 7 days? I know the Thais will throw a party with any excuse, but wondered if there was more to it other than showing off and getting pissed from 7am until 2am the next day? 

Just now, Soidog said:

Anyone know why there has to be a party when a son goes off to be a Monk for 7 days? I know the Thais will throw a party with any excuse, but wondered if there was more to it other than showing off and getting pissed from 7am until 2am the next day? 

Don't most occasions like that include some sort of party/celebrations in most religions all around the world?

I grew up in the Catholic Church and we had parties for Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation 

I look at this Monk ceremony/party as a sort of coming of age milestone 

Not that much dissimilar to Quinceanera for 15yr old girls in the Latin American culture 

7 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Interesting read. Having read it, and seen such phrases as “able to guide his wife on the right path”, I thought it would be dated 1922, not 2022

This is our niece with her boyfriend at his monk ceremony in May

1651783365832.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Marc26 said:

Don't most occasions like that include some sort of party/celebrations in most religions all around the world?

I grew up in the Catholic Church and we had parties for Baptism, First Communion and Confirmation 

I look at this Monk ceremony/party as a sort of coming of age milestone 

Not that much dissimilar to Quinceanera for 15yr old girls in the Latin American culture 

Yes I guess so Marc. But it seems odd you wouldn’t go and do your bit in the Monkhood simply because your family can’t afford to get the whole family and half the village fed and drunk. 

18 minutes ago, Soidog said:

Yes I guess so Marc. But it seems odd you wouldn’t go and do your bit in the Monkhood simply because your family can’t afford to get the whole family and half the village fed and drunk. 

Not all are like that

I've been to three

The 1st one was the all out. Dance stage, bottles at the table 

But my niece's boyfriend's was very big but only food no alcohol 

My BIL's was very small and just food as well

But to bring it back to the topic

It's those damn Monks that always seem to be the biggest cost in any ceremony!

Funerals, etc...

This is my BIL's, my wife and her sister 

1633379597254.jpg

• Like 1