News Forum - Phone use must be hands-free while driving

Thaiger

A new regulation went into effect this week requiring the hands-free use of mobile phones while driving. The law is now being enforced in all of Thailand according to a deputy government spokesperson. They issued a warning yesterday to make drivers aware that holding a phone while driving is now illegal. Section 43(9) of the Land Traffic Act of 1979 has a new clause that went into effect on October 7. It says drivers cannot use any communication device like a radio or telephone while driving unless it is equipped to be used hands-free. The law is intended to reduce […]

The story Phone use must be hands-free while driving as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 2

All very well .... but how to enforce?

Majority of offenders have blocking windscreen tint or mirrored film.  PLUS, RTP would have to become more mobile.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, KaptainRob said:

All very well .... but how to enforce?

Majority of offenders have blocking windscreen tint or mirrored film.  PLUS, RTP would have to become more mobile.

Talk about timing...

Yesterday, I was riding my motorbike and came up on a TWAT typing a text while riding/zigzagging his motorbike with his indicator flashing. I (carefully) pulled alongside and screamed...

"GET OFF THE EffING ROAD BEFORE YOU KILL YOURSELF AND SOMEONE ELSE, YOU EFFING PLONKER!!!"

THAT is how you enforce it.

I hope that Tosser spent last night in the hospital...

PS BTW, I haven't thrown a punch since I was 11, but that Plonker was so utterly idiotic that I lost it...

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Talk about timing...

Yesterday, I was riding my motorbike and came up on a TWAT typing a text while riding/zigzagging his motorbike with his indicator flashing. I (carefully) pulled alongside and screamed...

"GET OFF THE EffING ROAD BEFORE YOU KILL YOURSELF AND SOMEONE ELSE, YOU EFFING PLONKER!!!"

PS BTW, I haven't thrown a punch since I was 11, but that Plonker was so utterly idiotic that I lost it...

I’m. It sure where in Thailand you live SW, but on my travels I see this nearly every day. More often it’s the Grab guys checking their delivery route or calling customers for directions as they can’t follow the map. 

• Like 1

Just another First world law added to the law books that will be enforced with all the focus of a Third world country. Never mind, it ticks the box on the international stage and gets Thailand a few more points in the developed nation status. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Yesterday, I was riding my motorbike and came up on a TWAT typing a text while riding/zigzagging his motorbike with his indicator flashing

Wasting bulb life, not good.   Silly twat probably made spelling mistakes too!    When will they learn .. 😶

• Haha 2

So would that be the same enforcement used to get drivers to stop on a red light at a controlled pedestrian crossing and actually parking directly on the controlled crossing, to pop into 7-11. Sorry but when it comes to traffic law the RTP couldn’t enforce the skin off a rice pudding. 
happens every hour of every day 2nd road Jomtien (Rhompo mkt - 7/11). Nothing is done about it. 

3 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Talk about timing...

Indicators? Are you sure, since when has ANY Thai driver used indicators?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cabra said:

It's as good a law as any in the LoS. Certainly can't hurt. 

Agreed it can’t hurt, but it won’t help either. So many Thais see the laws as optional. Many times I’ve been told not to worry about drink driving as the police aren’t out tonight. Totally unfathomable. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

In Thai I trust? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Grumpish said:

Indicators? Are you sure, since when has ANY Thai driver used indicators?

yes they do, wrongly of course, usually too late and in the wrong direction, but hey, so what eh?   On bikes they are on permanently, so they do use them. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Thaiger said:

A new regulation went into effect this week requiring the hands-free use of mobile phones while driving. The law is now being enforced in all of Thailand according to a deputy government spokesperson. They issued a warning yesterday to make drivers aware that holding a phone while driving is now illegal. Section 43(9) of the Land Traffic Act of 1979 has a new clause that went into effect on October 7. It says drivers cannot use any communication device like a radio or telephone while driving unless it is equipped to be used hands-free. The law is intended to reduce […]

The story Phone use must be hands-free while driving as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

A great law and hopefully deters drivers from using phone while driving. 

• Like 1