News Forum - More than 1 million baht payout to massacre victims

Thaiger

The families of the adult victims of the daycare centre massacre in the northeastern province of Nong Bua Lamphu will receive up to 1 million baht in compensation. Kom Chad Luek news agency reported the Rights and Liberties Protection Department under the Ministry of Justice is investigating the loss from the Nong Bua Lamphu massacre and will offer compensation to the families of victims who died and injured up to 110,000 each, according to the Act of Compensation for Criminal Damages. A victim’s family will receive 50,000 baht for the loss of life, 20,000 baht for the funeral, and an […]

The story More than 1 million baht payout to massacre victims as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

This should be 1 million each   after employing a policeman with a known drug problem. Not that money is ever going to compensate anyone for this madness. But my eyes they are admitting liability with what is a token sum. My feelings are with the family and my anger is directed at the killer and those who let it happen right under their noses.

• Like 1

Is this a joke? These families would pay any amount of money to have there loved ones back. Each loss of life should get at a minimum 1million baht. It all comes down to cheap government officials. 

• Like 1

These kind of stories really do embarrass this country, or at least they should. 50,000 baht for loss of life !! Some people pay more for a night out in a Bangkok bar. A shameful amount of criminal compensation for a country that claims to be middle income and has more Billionaires than many “wealthy” developed countries. In many countries this would lead to a spate of cases brought against the school and local authorities leading to tens of millions in compensation. I doubt any such action will be tolerated here of course. 

• Like 1

On TV today they showed Prayut handing out celebratory meter square cheques to suffering families! No subtility or respect for grief - just "look at me!" And not even his own money! Just a tax rebate! Seems to me not a loss of face, more throwing it away!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, anarchofarmer said:

On TV today they showed Prayut handing out celebratory meter square cheques to suffering families! No subtility or respect for grief - just "look at me!" And not even his own money! Just a tax rebate! Seems to me not a loss of face, more throwing it away!

It’s sickening isn’t it. Life is deemed to be so cheap in Thailand. The mindset that would use such a tragedy as a photo opportunity beggars belief. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Skip said:

So there is a monetary value on a human life after all...

There always is in Thailand and it's shameful

And it is 100% part of the caste system in Thailand 

The poor can be paid off....