News Forum - Mother seeks justice after a monk slapped her son

Thaiger

The mother of a 17 year old schoolboy slapped by a monk in a Buddhist ethics camp in the Isaan province of Udon Thani wants justice for the assault. The provincial chief monk says his subordinate’s action did not violate monk rules. The child’s 33 year old mother, Waranya, is furious with the monk and seeks justice. She urged the Thai media to highlight the assault on her son, a grade 11 student from a school in the Wang Sam Mor district of Udon Thani. The mother said her child got slapped by a 45 year old monk, Phra Maha […]

The story Mother seeks justice after a monk slapped her son as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

1 hour ago, Thaiger said:

Phra Ratchasarn said the monk slapped the student with the good intention of making the student a better person. He added the action is similar to what parents did to their children in the Thai idiom, “If you love your cow, tie it up. If you love your children, you’ve gotta spank them sometimes.”

Referring to an idiom to substantiate a claim is just silly, so -- in the spirit of silliness -- here's another one:

Always turn the other cheek... so you can claim/extort at least twice as much damages.

PS: if the mother (or the kid himself for that matter) won't settle for THB 20,000 + potential additional compensation (which seems more than fair , i.e. on the excessive side), what's the actual goal they're aiming for? More money? Chastising the monk (shaming/defrocking/forcing bankruptcy/whips/stoning...) ? A cultural revolution? Or is it just a blind, unnuanced outrage that lacks any balance and conscious goal?

I would dearly love 20,000THB for every time I was slapped by the nuns that taught me in primary school or every time I was caned by the headmaster at secondary school but gotta admit most of the time I deserved it. My guess would be that this lad also probably deserved it too.

29 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

I would dearly love 20,000THB for every time I was slapped by the nuns that taught me in primary school or every time I was caned by the headmaster at secondary school but gotta admit most of the time I deserved it. My guess would be that this lad also probably deserved it too.

How can anyone claim to deserve to be slapped or even caned (and by suggestion: not even disagree to that happening in hindsight)?

It suggests there was no effective alternative seen at the time but to resort to inducing a Pavlov reaction based on negative physical feedback. I (hopeful as ever ;-) don't buy there wasn't one, which implies a major incompetence on the side of the penalty distributors.

1 hour ago, ChrisS said:

If a Monk laid a hand on my kid..............I'd be laying my hands on that Monk

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skip said:

Maybe if the mother had raised her son to be respectful he wouldn't have earned the slap in the first place...

Were you there and witness a disrespectful act?  Did you even read the report?  There's a blatant tip off that the monk is a violent person when the excuse “You are lucky to be slapped by me. It’s merit.” is offered.  What's next? Telling the younger boys, "You are blessed when I sodomize you repeatedly"?  Physically assaulting a child is a crime.  it is not excused by  alleging the victim was disrespectful.

The victim is described as a well behaved child at the top of his class. The monks did not say the child misbehaved, nor did they say the child was disrespectful. How can you then  accuse the mother of failing to raise her son right.  

The mother wants compensation because it is the only option she has. the abbott won't  throw the child attacker out, and the police haven't filed any charges against the violent monk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1