News Forum - Thailand legalises abortion up to 20 weeks

Thaiger

Thailand is extending the legal limit of abortion from 12 to 20 weeks. The new law will come into effect 30 days after its announcement by the Ministry of Public Health in the Royal Gazette, which was published yesterday, September 26. The new law stipulates that pregnant women in Thailand may legally abort a pregnancy up to 20 weeks so long as they seek a doctor’s consultation first. The doctor will provide the woman with all the information to help them come to a decision. In January last year, Thailand’s Parliament voted to legalise abortion in the first trimester (up […]

The story Thailand legalises abortion up to 20 weeks as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Like 1

Abortion is such an emotive subject that I think all discussions of the issue need two statements made at the beginning of every discussion.

First no one, I mean literally no one, is pro-abortion. I have known several women over the years who have had abortions, and every single one of them went through hell making their decision; they all told me that it was probably the most difficult decision that they'll ever make.

Secondly, what is occurring is inside a woman's body and all women should have the indisputable and inalienable right to control their own bodies. Yes, I know that some people (often men and/or often religious types) believe that a fetus has rights which can supersede a woman's right to control her own anatomy, but I think that is wrong. I would not accept outsiders telling me what I was able to do and/or not do inside my body (what man would), and that 'bodily autonomy' for women should be respected in/by everyone.

Period.

Two final points.

We as societies need to trust women to do what is correct for themselves, their families and the fetus. Only women can have babies so only women should decide this. That said, consulting the sperm donor is also a good thing.

If men could get pregnant, abortion on demand would have been available since the 1200s.

😎

1 hour ago, Shade_Wilder said:

First no one, I mean literally no one, is pro-abortion

Some victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, unwanted pregnancies etc undoubtedly welcome abortion.

1 hour ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Secondly, what is occurring is inside a woman's body and all women should have the indisputable and inalienable right to control their own bodies.

You are assuming that all people can & have control of their own bodies and minds. Sadly that is not true. 
< Comment removed > Admin.
I think all women should have access to abortions without the social pressures that currently exist.

11 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

Abortion is such an emotive subject that I think all discussions of the issue need two statements made at the beginning of every discussion.

First no one, I mean literally no one, is pro-abortion. I have known several women over the years who have had abortions, and every single one of them went through hell making their decision; they all told me that it was probably the most difficult decision that they'll ever make.

Secondly, what is occurring is inside a woman's body and all women should have the indisputable and inalienable right to control their own bodies. Yes, I know that some people (often men and/or often religious types) believe that a fetus has rights which can supersede a woman's right to control her own anatomy, but I think that is wrong. I would not accept outsiders telling me what I was able to do and/or not do inside my body (what man would), and that 'bodily autonomy' for women should be respected in/by everyone.

Period.

Two final points.

We as societies need to trust women to do what is correct for themselves, their families and the fetus. Only women can have babies so only women should decide this. That said, consulting the sperm donor is also a good thing.

If men could get pregnant, abortion on demand would have been available since the 1200s.

😎

Awesome you wrote "period."  but your first two points are rubbish.  Plenty of people (both men and women) look at abortion as birth control.  Yes, many struggle with the decision but many dont.  i have known a few who absolutely havn't had any issue murdering the body inside them.  Second, nobody says women dont have the right to control their own body, problem is, its a second body inside there and that is what the discussion is about.  

i do think it is interesting the "my body my choice" argument is popping back up with the same group who were adamantly against it over the last few years when it pertained to another medical procedure that shall not be discussed.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrNovax said:

Awesome you wrote "period."  but your first two points are rubbish.  Plenty of people (both men and women) look at abortion as birth control.  Yes, many struggle with the decision but many dont.  i have known a few who absolutely havn't had any issue murdering the body inside them.  Second, nobody says women dont have the right to control their own body, problem is, its a second body inside there and that is what the discussion is about.  

i do think it is interesting the "my body my choice" argument is popping back up with the same group who were adamantly against it over the last few years when it pertained to another medical procedure that shall not be discussed.  

Thanks for your post, Mr N; you raise many issues, so let me try to address some of them.

First, you find it "Awesome" that I used the word 'period'. Yes, I know that it is sometimes used in describing a woman's menstrual cycle, but it is also used to signify 'Full Stop', which was my usage. As Freud said, 'sometimes a cigar is just a cigar'. I could ask the Mods to change it as it seems too titillating for you, but as I doubt that it would add to or elevate our discussion, I am not going to bother.

Second, it seems that we have had very different experiences in and around pregnant women when they have contemplated abortion. I have seen a whole range of experiences and/or emotions, but indifference was never one of them. 

Third, you state that "...nobody states that women don't have the right to control their own body, problem is its a second body inside there and that is what the discussion is about." Respectfully, this makes no sense; how can a woman have control over her body if, as you state, another (independent) body is growing in there? Without getting too technical, when a woman is pregnant her body changes a great deal and it is quite obvious by, at bare minimum, the extra weight she is toting about and how she is 'eating for two'. Moreover, if the discussion is solely about the fetus, then that reduces women to mere 'Birthing Tanks'; mention that idea to a pregnant woman and see how long you survive. Finally, the idea that the woman and the fetus can have equal rights is untenable; they are in conflict. Who prevails? I think that there is a relatively easy test during the first half of a pregnancy although it does get more complicated later (we need to find an answer to that one, but not today). In the first half, 20-24 weeks or so, the woman can survive without the fetus but the fetus can't survive without the woman; therefore, the rights of the woman take precedence.

Finally, you mention the 'my body, my choice' comment with some derision; I am guessing by your user name that you are referring to Covid vaccines. Respectfully, while both issues center around the human body, a communicable disease and a pregnancy are two very different things. Full stop.

Mr N, I genuinely appreciate your post, even if I think you are incorrect about... er... everything. We as a species are developing new life-sciences, new approaches involving the genetic code, new medicines, etc., and I think it is a good thing to have people such as yourself arguing the whole way; it'll keep the scientists on their proverbial toes if they know that some will object strenuously to what they are doing.

Cheers

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Shade_Wilder said:

First, you find it "Awesome" that I used the word 'period'. Yes, I know that it is sometimes used in describing a woman's menstrual cycle, but it is also used to signify 'Full Stop', which was my usage. As Freud said, 'sometimes a cigar is just a cigar'. I could ask the Mods to change it as it seems too titillating for you, but as I doubt that it would add to or elevate our discussion, I am not going to bother.

Yes, my comment was about you using this word as "full stop" and nothing more.  My point was that using that word in no way solidifies that the top two points should be taken for granted.  

To your third point:  What is stated was accurate, no outside entity is telling a woman what she can or cant do with her body.  The baby inside her obviously has an impact on her body but that isnt the same as an outside entity telling her what she can or cant do to her body.  

the woman can survive without the fetus but the fetus can't survive without the woman;

This can be said of children up to about 14-15 years old.  Kids cant survive on their own, does that give the parents the right to "abort" them at 12 years old? 

Respectfully, while both issues center around the human body, a communicable disease and a pregnancy are two very different things

yes, one is about a human's right to choose what to put in their own bodies, the other is extinguishing a life.

Mr N, I genuinely appreciate your post, even if I think you are incorrect about... er... everything.

Agreed, I strongly disagree with most of what you are saying but that is what forums are for.  Respectfully disagreeing and hearing the arguments of the other side.  I genuinely appreciate you have kept this on topic rather than resulting to insults.  I have done my best to do the same.  Cheers

• Like 1