News Forum - Ambulance runs a red light and kills a motorcyle rider

Thaiger

A 60 year old man was killed after a speeding ambulance run a red light and wiped out his motorcycle causing a huge ball of fire in the northeastern province of Mahasarakham, northern Thailand. The ambulance from Yang Talad Hospital smashed into the motorcycle at the Chiang Yuen Intersection in Mahasarakham province yesterday at 6am. Video footage from a vehicle behind the motorcycle captures the 60 year old rider, Boonyong Guykhumtod, inching forward tentatively, briefly looking to his right before the ambulance hit him causing a huge ball of fire. He was seriously injured in the fire and later died […]

The story Ambulance runs a red light and kills a motorcyle rider as seen on Thaiger News.

Read the full story

• Angry 1

Officers from the Chiang Yuen Police Station reported that the ambulance was transferring a patient from Yang Talad Hospital to another hospital in Khon Kaen province.

Sigh, it seems like there is actually no emergency at all and there is no necessity for the ambulance to be in a rush. It's just a transfer of patient.

I was once in a similar situation, I was transferred from a hospital to another hospital in an ambulance but I was not in any emergency health situation at all. At first the ambulance didn't turn on the siren and was just driving normally but then we met some heavy traffic and the nurse who was accompanying me asked the driver to turn on the siren and then he started speeding as if there was an emergency.

• Like 2

Looks like No siren and no flashing light for the ambulance from the recording. If that is the situation, then it is not an emergency. The ambulance driver has to follow normal traffic rules

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ramanathan.P said:

Looks like No siren and no flashing light for the ambulance from the recording. If that is the situation, then it is not an emergency. The ambulance driver has to follow normal traffic rules

On top, the car driver honked his horn shortly, to make the motocycle start driving.  If I would be him, I would have deleted the sound, before publishing that video!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My missus sent me the video. Pretty ordinary. Bikke burst into flame on impact. Poor bloke had done all the right things. The light had actually been green long enough for the car behind to give him a little beep beep. He had been looking right and entered the intersection very slowly . Quite tragic and needless death tbh. Shame. 

3 hours ago, Ramanathan.P said:

I don't know in Thailand, but in European countries an ambulance/fire brigade in an emergency may run through red lights, but with care and they are still resposible if this creates an accident.

• Like 1

If not running with the flashing lights on then the driver should receive at least the same punishment as the man that hit the motorcyclists while doing the u-turn that was recently reported.